Where do You get Your News?

jsanders said:
I told you earlier $100.00
Once or twice a year.
telling porkies again Josey, just like when you set our hopes up thinking we could have a good wake :rolleyes:

Rich said:
telling porkies again Josey, just like when you set our hopes up thinking we could have a good wake :rolleyes:

What do you mean?
Are you saying I don't contribute?

jsanders said:
Are you saying I don't contribute?
not to the piss up fund for your wake you didn't.
And another thing, why do you Yanks keep calling Iraq, Eyeraq, it's I as in in and it, Iraq!:mad: :p

Rich said:
not to the piss up fund for your wake you didn't.
And another thing, why do you Yanks keep calling Iraq, Eyeraq, it's I as in in and it, Iraq!:mad: :p

Piss up fund?

Did I write it that way or are you simply loosing whatever part of your mind that previously was semi-stable?

Rich said:
Yes it's traditional for a wake

Yes, you couldn't stand the pressure here any more and were committing hari kari

No one told me about paying for my own piss up (whatever that is)

jsanders said:
No one told me about paying for my own piss up (whatever that is)
just a few celebratory drinks Josey and who else would pay, haven't we suffered enough ? :p

Rich said:
just a few celebratory drinks Josey and who else would pay, haven't we suffered enough ? :p

Where's the fund located?

But I dont think I want to die just yet. You knuckle heads will have to world in a big mess without me.

jsanders said:
Where's the fund located?

Just send it to me in a plain brown bag

You knuckle heads will have to world in a big mess without me

Actually if it had been left to us and not the shoot first ask questions later mob, there wouldn't be a mess now :mad:

In case you actually care about the facts regarding NPR, their revenue breaks down as follows:

43% Programming Fees
36% Grants and contributions
11% Distribution Services
8% Other/Miscellaneous
2% Membership dues

As you can see, sponsorship is a significant but not majority source of funding. Additionally, you can see a list of all the major contributors on page 22 of the annual report. Around one out of twenty large contributions are directly from corporations; the vast majority are from private foundations.

If you want to look at the annual report so you can, you know, find something to complain about, go here.

Kraj said:
In case you actually care about the facts regarding NPR, their revenue breaks down as follows:

43% Programming Fees
36% Grants and contributions
11% Distribution Services
8% Other/Miscellaneous
2% Membership dues

As you can see, sponsorship is a significant but not majority source of funding. Additionally, you can see a list of all the major contributors on page 22 of the annual report. Around one out of twenty large contributions are directly from corporations; the vast majority are from private foundations.

If you want to look at the annual report so you can, you know, find something to complain about, go here.

If the programming fees and the distribution services are billed to the member stations (which I’m assuming they are) then even a higher percentage comes from listeners, because the revenue for local broadcasters is mostly listener supported as well.

Remember they don’t have commercials on Public Radio or TV. All they say is “This programming is paid for by a grant from the XYZ Foundation.”

Not these three :D

Attachments

• temp.png
    temp.png
    69.9 KB · Views: 239
Hi im new

I get my news from BBC, Jones Report, Alex Jones, You Tube.
And then just what ever;perhaps CNN online.

Does anyone listen to Alex Jones?

Terri321

TV - Sky News or one of the local "National" news. Occasionally BBC.

Radio - Triple J - headlines on the half hour in the mornings, news breaks on the hour, and a current affairs show from 5:30 to 6:00PM while I'm driving home.
They are part of the government-funded ABC network, but are perceived as having an anti-government (left? I don't know which way is which in politics)bias (so the PM hasn't given them an interview in the last 2 terms he's been in office...). May have something to do with their 18-25 target demographic.
(so they usually have good music too! :D )

Who Owns the Media?

We examine the patterns of media ownership in 97 countries around the world. We find that almost universally the largest media firms are owned by the government or by private families. Government ownership is more pervasive in broadcasting than in the printed media.

Government ownership of the media is generally associated with less press freedom, fewer political and economic rights, and, most conspicuously, inferior social outcomes in the areas of education and health. It does not appear that adverse consequences of government ownership of the media are restricted solely to the instances of government monopoly.

The Era of Networked Journalism Begins
Today marks a key moment in the evolution of the Web as a reporting medium. The first left-right-center coalition of bloggers, activists, non-profits, citizens and journalists to investigate a story of national import: Congressional earmarks and those who sponsor and benefit from them.

This is networked journalism (“professionals and amateurs working together to get the real story”) beginning to come of age, and it’s very much in the spirit in my initiative NewAssignment.Net. We as individuals are greater than we think. We can be spoon fed half truth, not truth and lies. Or we can seek truth and pass truth onward.

Terri321
http://journalism.nyu.edu/pubzone/weblogs/pressthink/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom