Why close a thread? (1 Viewer)

amorosik

Local time
Today, 11:07
Just this morning it happened that i added a post to a thread from a few months ago, and the post indicated a better solution than the one found months ago, so something very useful for anyone interested in the same problem
And therefore, considering that a solution to a question could balso arrive after months (or years) i would like to underastand exactly what is the usefulness of closing a thread

Josef P.

Local time
I would make a distinction between closing thread and marking thread as solved.
As a normal user, I think you can only mark a thread as solved. This can help members to select the 'urgent' topics.

On the other hand, I read through the threads that interest me. If I think I can provide an additional piece of information (that might be a better solution) or have a supplemental question about it, I would reply even with a solved marker in that thread ... unless it is already very old. ;)

Minty

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 10:07
I'm not a moderator, but I think threads are only LOCKED (closed preventing more posts) when there is some strong reason to do so (normally it got so off-topic or hijacked that future postings become irrelevant).
Marking them as solved does not prevent additional posts, but rather indicates that the OP has an answer to their question.

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 05:07
When you mark a thread as solved, you help other users by indicating that there is a solution in the thread. Many times the OP has an epiphany after reviewing the suggestions and comes up with a completely different solution. It is very helpful to the community if the OP posts the solution he settled on as well as marking the thread closed.

I locked the thread you are asking about.

amorosik

Local time
Ok thanks for the explanation
I will use the 'solved' as requested

"...I locked the thread you are asking about.."
I was talking about this thread, and it dosen't appear to be locked
And as I described above I don't think it's useful to be locked
What 3d exactly are you writing about?

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 04:07
Your comment was vague enough that it might have been the one about memory-based ADO recordsets in reports. When you asked about why threads would be locked, that thread - which WAS briefly locked - seemed to be relevant to your question. The imprecision of your reference to a thread juxtaposed with a comment about locking gave a misleading impression as to the thread in question.

Your update on tracking the status of printed reports was never locked. We might one day mark it as SOLVED but not as LOCKED. Further, not every thread can be solved. The way you open a thread and WHERE you open it (i.e. in which sub-forum) governs whether it CAN be marked as SOLVED.

amorosik

Local time
I was talking about one thing and a forum member talks to me about something else
And would I be at fault?
If the indication was 'enough vague' (as it obviously was but there was no need to specify because the question was of a general nature) why didn't the person who answered me ask for clarification?
I thank you immensely for trying to find a way of reconciliation between all of us, and for trying to remember that everyone has their own points of view.
But, in this case, you are not at all objective

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 04:07
But, in this case, you are not at all objective

Since I claim to be human, why would I necessarily be objective? I have to also remind you that I have been on this forum since 2001 - over 20 years - and therefore have many years of experience interacting with the more senior members. Sort of like computing an average. With a small sample, an outlier can strongly affect the result. With a larger pile of data, outliers have less effect. It would be hard for me to forget what I know about a long-term member. If you ask me to consider something in a vacuum, I have to say that it might not be possible to dispassionately judge someone whose behavior I have seen for a long period. Though I'll admit I've been accused of being vacuum-headed more than once... but I digress.

You feel you have been wronged. I get that. I'm trying to say that at least part of the problem may be in your own expectations. This is a user-staffed forum of long-term and shorter-term Access VOLUNTEER users with varying amounts of experience in various topics. It is not a professionally trained Help Desk. All ANY of us can do is try to show some understanding of the problems placed before us.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom