Alabama boy kills 1051 pound monster pig (1 Viewer)

GaryPanic

Smoke me a Kipper,Skipper
Local time
Today, 04:10
I have been pulled over about 4 times

now 39 so 20 years driving and these were all when I was younger

voidcranium

Registered Something.
Local time
Today, 06:10
I presume you must be doing something to instigate getting pulled over so much - what is it you do that causes that?
Your Presumptions cloud your reality.
Last time I was pulled over was 1990 and I was driving someone else's car because they were to Drunk to drive. The power steering was going out so I had to over steer just to keep it going straight. I got pulled over twice that night, 2 different towns. Was given two sobriety test - passed them both.
And to get back to the point of this - A GUN WAS NEVER PULLED ON ME DURING THESE STOPS
We're led to believe the US police always pull over non-whites for no reason other than to give the driver a good kicking.
Col

And yet you do believe it without gathering further information.

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
Today, 12:10
Last time I was pulled over was 1990 and I was driving someone else's car because they were to Drunk to drive. The power steering was going out so I had to over steer just to keep it going straight. I got pulled over twice that night, 2 different towns. Was given two sobriety test - passed them both.

So what were the other 8 stops for then?

How many miles do you drive per year? Have you got a big V8 gas guzzler?

US posters here justify their lust for V8 gas guzzlers because they travel such great distances. (presumably between home and Wallmart to buy their guns over the counter;) )

Col

voidcranium

Registered Something.
Local time
So what were the other 8 stops for then?
I said ABOUT 10 times. I don't know the exact number. The main reason is because I have never received a ticket.
How many miles do you drive per year?
Why do you want to know this? It does not matter how FAR you drive it matters HOW you drive.
Have you got a big V8 gas guzzler?
No. 1998, V4 gas saver

US posters here justify their lust for V8 gas guzzlers because they travel such great distances. (presumably between home and Wallmart to buy their guns over the counter;) )Col
Why justify?
We do have a big country.
Its Wal-Mart.
That is a freedom we have a CHOICE to use.

:)

S

Sharks2431

I've been pulled over twice. Once for speeding and once for registration. The cop has never pulled a gun on me. I've also been the passenger for several traffic stops and again the cop never drew his gun. I don't drive a 8 cylinder gas guzzler, I've never owned a gun and I avoid Wal-Mart at all costs.

What do I win for beating the ridiculous US stereotypes? ;)

Last edited:

dan-cat

Registered User.
Local time
Why do you want to know this? It does not matter how FAR you drive it matters HOW you drive.

It's a little bit like Starling versus Lecter. The more info you give, the more they have to feed on :D

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
I said ABOUT 10 times. I don't know the exact number. The main reason is because I have never received a ticket.
I was wondering why the police should choose you to be stopped. It seems like alot to me, there must be something that irritates them.

It was you that said 'How much you drive' - indicating you drive alot, merely asking how much is no reason for you to get out of your pram, it's a sensible question which presumably you will ignore.

No. 1998, V4 gas saver
what size engine is that then?

Why justify?
Becuse the rest of the world is running out of oil, but thanks to massive stockpiling, the USA still has petrol at under $3 per gallon. We pay $8 here

We do have a big country.
So you travel (drive) all over the USA then?

Jolly good.

That is a freedom we have a CHOICE to use.
Arn't you the lucky one?

Col

GaryPanic

Smoke me a Kipper,Skipper
Local time
Today, 04:10
Colins last comments are spot on..
as most americans think that brits are like that tosser Hugh Grant - bumbling along - uptight etc..

No . Brits are a weird bunch as are Americans but the portail of America, the land of the free, the land of opportunity, these are great principles but unrealistic - , free speech - afraid not probably less than we have here ,
THe films premote a lifestyle that is unreal and americans (not all) think that everything American is good and everthing else is bad- the president is good because he's the preident and we will support him whatever-

i have said this before but worth saying again (and not a poke at the US -

Americans seem to treat their head of state as a demi-god to the point of worship,
we in europe see the head of state (in the Uk I mean the Prime Minster not the Queen)as a civil servant elected by the people of the people for the people- if he or she cocks it up then they will be out on the ear next election

THe US- Being unfair here , will forgive the president almost anthing- even for being a bumbling idiot- Bush that is , he may mean well but what he says really puts peoples back up, - he promotes the illusion that Americans think that they are gods choosen ones , and whatever they do is almost gods will.

a simple phase such as God bless america -can piss a lot of people off. when Tony blair did this here, you could almost hear the cringing(?) from every corner of the country - it was as if he was a parting president and wanted to leave his mark - , if left to the majority of people - he would be up for war crimes - He followed the States into a war that was not nessary ,.. this war is about oil and americas got the oil tied up for the next 20 years (over 80% of the oil must go to the states) it was not about terrorism as Iraq and alQuaild (I must of spelt this one wrong) are on opposite sides of the fence .

Yes there was a lunatic in charge of the country , and there still is "Bush"..
Did Sadam have to go -Yes once done - we should of pulled out and let the country sort itself out , would there have been fewer/more deaths - we cannot say - but the deaths would not of been US/Brit soliders - i am not a peace loving tree hippy - there is a time for action and war - this was not one of the ,afiganistan yes, iraaq ..no

anyway a prize for shark2431- how about a tin of spam

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
What do I win for beating the ridiculous US stereotypes? ;)

Here's an extract, written by an American about US tourists. (Note the use of the word "fanny" - it means something different in the USA I think)

How to Avoid Ugly American Syndrome
My fellow Americans,

Are you planning a vacation to Europe? Are you aware of "Ugly American Syndrome?" You know how Americans tell jokes about foreigners (the French always seem to be a popular target for a laugh)? Well, guess what? They tell jokes about you! And from what I have observed the European stereotype of the ugly American is embarrassingly true.

I saw a play in Ireland in summer 1999 in which American tourists were satired--they were dressed in white sneakers, fanny packs, t-shirts with a sports team logo, and baseball caps. They complained about the cigarette smoke and asked for decaf coffee. Quite amusing since the actors resembled my parents a bit. (Though, I must admit I also asked for decaf coffee in Ireland.)

Some stereotypes and how to avoid them:

1. Americans are loud. Talk less loudly. Many Europeans speak English very well. There is no need to speak extra slowly and there is certainly no need to increase your volume. If you meet someone who does not speak English, speaking loudly will not help them to suddenly do so. Americans also talk very loudly with each other. I know that might be harder to avoid, but observe other people around you and speak at the same level. It's not a contest--you don't need to be louder than them.

2. Americans complain because things are different from home. Well, you do. Ok, not all of you. Many are open-minded and want to experience difference. Why the rest of you bother to leave home, I don?t know. A couple of things Americans usually complain about:

Caffeine. Most Europeans do NOT drink decaf coffee. So don't ask for it. Even if a restaurant or café claims it has decaf, they don't. You won't know the difference until it's too late.
Smoke. Most European restaurants do NOT have a non-smoking section. So quit whining about the smoke. You are not going to get lung cancer from a two-week vacation. Besides, if you are travelling during high tourist season, you probably won?t have a problem finding a smoke free (or at least a less smoky) restaurant because they'll all be filled with other American tourists. My advice: Suck it up!

3. Ugly white tennis shoes. I see this all the time. American tourists are soooo easy to spot because they wear brand spanking new blinding white sneakers. I know where this comes from--it's from all the suburbanites reading tour books warning them to "wear comfortable walking shoes." Americans, who drive their cars everywhere, generally put up with uncomfortable shoes more than others. So how to buy comfy shoes is a mystery to them. They go to their local sports store or nearest LL Bean catalog and purchase special shoes just for the trip. If you don't own comfy shoes that you can walk miles in, they please buy some! But don't get white sneakers. Try Birkenstocks, Doc Martins, or some other shoes that don't look like they were meant for exercise.

4. Funny hats. Baseball is an American sport. Baseball caps are distinctive American head wear. Nothing screams "I'm an Ugly American Tourist" like a baseball cap--ok, the white sneakers are worse. If you are worried about getting sun in your eyes then wear sunglasses.

5. Fat Fanny. I bet some guide book told you that a "fanny pack" would be a good idea. It would keep your hands free and deter pickpockets, right? Whatever. Seriously, would you wear one of those silly fanny packs at home? To work? To school? Then why on your trip? Backpacks are fine--get a small one. For women, use a purse! The same one you use at home should be fine. Yes, yes, I know "Beware of pickpockets." And you should. But wearing a fanny pack is ASKING a pickpocket to come get you. Do you know why? Because ONLY American tourists wear them! Don't be afraid to use your normal purse or school backpack (but please, please, pleeeeeease don't wear the backpack on your front). Simply be aware of it at all times and wear purses bandoleer style.

6. T-shirts, sweatshirts, and blue jeans. A trip to Europe is not a weekend driving in the country--even if you are spending the weekend driving in the countryside. Europeans, generally, don't dress as sloppily as Americans. Think "business casual" all the times. When in doubt, wear all black. You'll be mistaken for a British tourist. If you cannot afford a new all black wardrobe, then purchase a Canadian flag patch to sew onto your backpack. (But if you sew it onto your fanny pack, everyone will know you're an American trying to be Canadian).

Some final words about ultra casual American dress....

An American who lives in Italy recently related this story to me:

I was riding the train not too long ago from Arezzo to Milano and sat beside a lovely Italian student. She was in her mid 20s and was most interesting. At one point, she looked at me and said, "Do you mind if I ask you a question, since you're an American? Why do all the Americans wear those funny hats on their heads when they come to Italy? What is the significance of the t-shirts they wear--the one with the American flag, the eagle and the names of places they've traveled before? Do they always wear tennis shoes - don't they own nice shoes?" They were tough questions - I couldn't answer them for her.
ref

You only need to walk down Oxford Street in London and you see (and hear) this is absolutely spot-on.

Col

Attachments

• tourists.jpeg
    tourists.jpeg
    19.8 KB · Views: 162
S

Sharks2431

Vote for a sensible pres next time....
I didn't have a hand in putting Bush in office. In fact, a little under half of the country didn't have a hand in putting Bush in office. His approval rating is around 35% now I believe.

The US sterotype has been propogated by Hollywood. Don't knock us for it.
Could you elaborate on this? Do you mean the entertainment business? The vast majority of Americans that are portrayed in Hollywood (the entertainment business) do not represent real American people. Hollywood is about making money, not representing a country.

Colins last comments are spot on..
as most americans think that brits are like that tosser Hugh Grant - bumbling along - uptight etc..
As someone who is living in America, I disagree with this strongly. I've never been to the UK but I (and believe it or not, a lot of other US citizens) am not stupid enough to fall for that cliche. There will be a lot of tounge-in-cheek remarks, but most people don't really believe them.

Americans seem to treat their head of state as a demi-god to the point of worship,
we in europe see the head of state (in the Uk I mean the Prime Minster not the Queen)as a civil servant elected by the people of the people for the people- if he or she cocks it up then they will be out on the ear next election
I don't know where you get this "demi-god" thing from. I've lived here all my life and not once have I seen George W Bush being "worshipped". Americans treat their head of state just as you do. Like I said ealier, Bush only has a 35% approval rating. If most of the country doesn't approve of the guy, then how are they going to worship him? Can you possibly list examples of an American worshipping our president?

I'm not going to get into the war details. Bush was re-elected (barely), but since that re-election Bush's popularity in the US has gone down dramatically. Unfortunately there are still a lot of "good old boys" who do support Bush, but most people have had enough.

anyway a prize for shark2431- how about a tin of spam
No thanks, I'm trying to watch my figure. :D

As for that article, it seems laughable actually. Sorry that wearing white sneakers and a hat ruffles your feathers so much. You can literally write that exact same article for every country/tourist combination in the world. The fact that you've seen a few overwhelmed and unfamilarized American tourists does not mean you can peg everyone in the US as loud and arrogant.

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
I didn't have a hand in putting Bush in office.
Neither did anyone else on these forums - not that they'd admit to it anyway. Also, there was an American poster here a few weeks ago who said that whilst he disagreed with Bush's policies, he would back him to the hilt.

The fact that you've seen a few overwhelmed and unfamilarized American tourists does not mean you can peg everyone in the US as loud and arrogant.

Did you miss the bit where I pointed out that the article was written by an American for Americans?

Col

voidcranium

Registered Something.
Local time
I was wondering why the police should choose you to be stopped. It seems like alot to me, there must be something that irritates them.
You will have to ask the officers why they choose me to pull over.
You will also have to ask the officers who pulled me over if it I irritated them.
That will hard to do since there is no record of the stop (I received no ticket).
AND again the last time I was stopped was in 1990, 17 years ago.
But lets get back to the point of my post, a GUN was never pulled on me at any of those stops.

It was you that said 'How much you drive' - indicating you drive alot, merely asking how much is no reason for you to get out of your pram, it's a sensible question which presumably you will ignore.
I’m not ignoring it. I just don’t see what that has to do with your quote saying Cops pull guns on people they pull over.

what size engine is that then?
When I get home I will get out my tape measure and get the dimensions of my engine.
Do you want it in Inches or Metric?

Becuse the rest of the world is running out of oil, but thanks to massive stockpiling, the USA still has petrol at under $3 per gallon. We pay $8 here
If the rest of the world is running out of oil then why don’t they find alternatives to it?

So you travel (drive) all over the USA then?
Not yet but I am trying.

Arn't you the lucky one?
I don’t know if I would call it luck.
I guess you could blame your ancestors for that freedom. It’s because of how the British treated the colonies that we have most of our freedoms and rights.
Have you actually read the Declaration of Independence?
The history of the present King of Great Britain is a history of repeated injuries and usurpations, all having in direct object the establishment of an absolute Tyranny over these States. To prove this, let Facts be submitted to a candid world……read more

And to be honest if the British treated the colonies better back then, the United States would not even be know as it is now.
So all your discomfort and hatred for all things American is because of how England administered its government.

Nice read on King George III :)
Col[/QUOTE]

S

Sharks2431

Neither did anyone else on these forums - not that they'd admit to it anyway. Also, there was an American poster here a few weeks ago who said that whilst he disagreed with Bush's policies, he would back him to the hilt.
Like I said, there are still Bush supporters out there. They've just been declining rapidly.

I didn't miss the part where you said that article was written by an American. As far as I can tell, it doesn't really matter that it was. It's essentially written from a European point of view anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom