Shootings in US schools (2 Viewers)

dan-cat

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 19:36
and my main point was that you were using the term as personal abuse of other posters.

Brian

I think one blunt, withdrawn version is far better than the insinuated version we receive from the Col and Rich committee on a daily basis. :rolleyes:

Brianwarnock

Retired
Local time
I think one blunt, withdrawn version is far better than the insinuated version we receive from the Col and Rich committee on a daily basis. :rolleyes:

I agree he withdrew it and I respect him for that, it is something I have never seen certain people do, but I still believe that I was correct to challenge his view of Rich and Col as racists, and to object to the use of direct personal abuse of other posters, insinuation I can ignore, its general and doesn't apply to me.:), seriously I understand the US posters annoyance, and more, and have said so on numerous occasions.

Brian

Pauldohert

Something in here
Local time
Today, 11:36
I agree he withdrew it and I respect him for that, it is something I have never seen certain people do, but I still believe that I was correct to challenge his view of Rich and Col as racists, and to object to the use of direct personal abuse of other posters, insinuation I can ignore, its general and doesn't apply to me., seriously I understand the US posters annoyance, and more, and have said so on numerous occasions.

Col and Rich delight in using the language of racists - but I'm pretty sure they wouln't do it in Chinatown on a Saturday night.

So the challenge of them being racist is one they can easily avoid - or accept as a peril of keeping alive their parochial dialect.

Rabbie

Super Moderator
Local time
Col and Rich delight in using the language of racists - but I'm pretty sure they wouln't do it in Chinatown on a Saturday night.

So the challenge of them being racist is one they can easily avoid - or accept as a peril of keeping alive their parochial dialect.
I think there is a danger of thinking Rich and Col are being racist with their description of a type of take-away food. The term would be be racist if used to describe a person but in the context I don't think there is any racist intent. It would be inappropriate to use the term in Chinatown but this forum is not Chinatown and the term is not being used to describe people so lets keep things in perspective.

Alc

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 14:36
I think there is a danger of thinking Rich and Col are being racist with their description of a type of take-away food. The term would be be racist if used to describe a person but in the context I don't think there is any racist intent. It would be inappropriate to use the term in Chinatown but this forum is not Chinatown and the term is not being used to describe people so lets keep things in perspective.
We've had this conversation at length on another thread.
The fact is that certain posters get a kick out of using deliberately 'questionable' words, in the hope that someone will rise to it and get into an argument with them. I've fallen for it a few times, but hopefully won't again. It says a lot for at least one person's mindset that the word in question was hardly ever mentioned here until it was pointed out that it was offensive. Now it comes up regularly in his posts. It's the written equivalent of a little kid opening his mouth to show you his half-chewed food, in the hope you'll say how shocking he is.

Pauldohert

Something in here
Local time
Today, 11:36
I didn't say they were racist - but any accusation of such, they bring on themselves, by not swapping the word Chinky for Chinese.

Since I am unaware of how they use it - I won't complain or condone - but I understand others problem with it. Lets not complain that someone uses the word wanker in response - since its not Chinatown that seems a reasonable response. - If it were Chinatown - they have their head kicked in.

Cols birds nest soup may have a bit more bird saliva in than he expected - probably the bird's behind the counter in the Chinky.

Last edited:

Alc

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 14:36
since its not Chinatown that seems a reasonable response. - If it were Chinatown - they have their head kicked in.
Plus, you don't have to be in Brixton to recognize that 'the N word' is offensive.

Rabbie

Super Moderator
Local time
We've had this conversation at length on another thread.
The fact is that certain posters get a kick out of using deliberately 'questionable' words, in the hope that someone will rise to it and get into an argument with them. I've fallen for it a few times, but hopefully won't again. It says a lot for at least one person's mindset that the word in question was hardly ever mentioned here until it was pointed out that it was offensive. Now it comes up regularly in his posts. It's the written equivalent of a little kid opening his mouth to show you his half-chewed food, in the hope you'll say how shocking he is.
A great analogy:D Even if a little disgusting. I hope you aren't going to be accused of being foodist;)

R

Rich

Wow a poster who applies common sense on this forum, a rareity;)
I don't live in America, Canada or China town, these people who choose to imply that I'm racist are the same ones who'll have us praying to Mohammed next 'cause it's offensive not to do so in their eyes:rolleyes:

dan-cat

Registered User.
Local time

Let me clarify.

If the term is inappropriate in Chinatown, for reasons I shall have to guess, why is it appropriate in a public forum?

I'd like to know your reason for this opinion. To help out I thought it would be helpful to understand why you thought it an inappropriate usage in Chinatown to start with. Then we could examine why these reasons don't apply in a public forum. :)

Rabbie

Super Moderator
Local time
Let me clarify.

If the term is inappropriate in Chinatown, for reasons I shall have to guess, why is it appropriate in a public forum?

I'd like to know your reason for this opinion. To help out I thought it would be helpful to understand why you thought it an inappropriate usage in Chinatown to start with. Then we could examine why these reasons don't apply in a public forum. :)
I consider it to be inappropriate in Chinatown where it might be the cause of violence to the user which I would deplore. On this forum the context of the remark makes it clear that it is referring to the meal and I would hope that all our readers would understand that. If you still do understand this perhaps Pinky will help you:D

dan-cat

Registered User.
Local time
I consider it to be inappropriate in Chinatown where it might be the cause of violence to the user which I would deplore.

Ah, I see you're a pacifist. You still didn't explain to me why it may cause violence ;)

On this forum the context of the remark makes it clear that it is referring to the meal and I would hope that all our readers would understand that.

Why do you not expect the same understanding from the inhabitants of Chinatown :confused:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom