Sharepoint lists vs Web Database (1 Viewer)

Geirr

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 03:04
Hi!

I have found that my ordinary database with Access FE and a datafile BE placed on a server, doesn't cover our needs any more. Mainly network speed is the biggest problem.

I have been givven full access to the company's Sharpoint (Server Enterprise 2010), but I am strugling to decide how to proceed... i need to use Access 2010as front end. Maybe you guys can help me decide:

I am going to establish a site for each of my copanys' project. Each project will have 6 - 8 tables/list, and one of the table/list will hold aprox 12000 - 15000 records.
I am familiar with Access and VBA, but not so familiar with Macros. I believe an update to SP 2013 or newer will take place in a year ore three, so upgrade is also important to take under consideraton.

Are the Web Database fully integrated with the SQL behind Sharepoint 2010?
And since access via browes will not be an issue - i will use Access as an interface any how - will this make a precence on the choise?

I have read little about SP and Access, but I've mostly found 'what' I can do - not how to decide wich 'way' should I decide... Lists or Web database.

Can somebody help me with good advices?

Brg, Geirr.

Geirr

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 03:04
Well, maybe a little more specific question are in place;

Sharpoint Lists - I believe those lists are powered directly by Sharepoints 'internal' SQL Server?

But, when I study the Wed Database via Access 2010, it gives me reason to believe that the datafile is powered by ACE/Jet. As far as I know - there is no way to use Compact and Repair on a SQL Server database, but the Compact and Repair is available when dealing with Web Database in Access 2010.
The problem with the uncontrolled expanding of the datafile is one of the reasons I want to get rid of standard deskotop database.

Is this correct? SP Lists = SQL Server and Web Database (2010) = ACE/Jet?

Brg, Geirr.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom