About Discount Tire... (1 Viewer)

TruckMan

Local time
Today, 08:46
Just a heads-up for all concerned...

I bought six new wheels and tires from Discount Tire Company over two years ago and had them mounted, balanced and bought the extended service contract all at the same store...Since then, I've had them rotated, balanced and air pressure maintained by them at 6000 mile intervals just like I'm supposed to...This afternoon, I went to the same store for my regular service and was told because I have 19.5 inch tires on my truck they won't do any kind of service for me...

I pointed out that I bought and paid for the entire package at this same outlet and was told that they will not rotate, will not check air pressure and will not repair a flat for me under any circumstances...Their claim is that their "technicians" might get hurt because the tires are so big...

I then asked the assistant manager (highest ranking person present) if that meant that their service policy and guarantee they sold me was worthless and he said, "Yes, it is"...A rant would have done nothing for me as I might as well have been talking to a wall at that point so I told him that Discount Tire had lost any future business that they might ever have from me and left...

Discount Tire's website has no e-mail link on it but I will be writing them a very detailed letter for whatever good that will do...About all I can do at this point is warn my friends here about their practices and also post this on every other board on which I am a member...The Better Business Bureau and Chamber of Commerce will get copies also...

I wonder what their next step will be to protect their "technicians"...Maybe they will decide not to work on 16" or even 15" tires in the future...Maybe they'd like you to just slide an envelope of money under the door and go away and stop bothering them...Ben

Oldsoftboss

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 23:46
I wonder what their next step will be to protect their "technicians"...Maybe they will decide not to work on 16" or even 15" tires in the future...Maybe they'd like you to just slide an envelope of money under the door and go away and stop bothering them...Ben

Naah, they will stand to the side and point while you do it yourself :p

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
Today, 14:46
>>> Their claim is that their "technicians" might get hurt because the tires are so big... <<<

Do the tires have a separate Metal retaining ring?

I think this relates to the fact that whilst assembling the tires after a repair, it is possible that the tire could explode, (very unlikely but it does happen) this is sometimes caused by incorrect fitting (in particular tires with a separate retaining ring), and very very Occasionally by a damaged tire.

However there is a simple solution for any tire repair company, they should have a special cage in which the tire is placed whilst it is being inflated. This is probably your problem, they do not have such a safety cage on site.

As to servicing the tires whilst they are on the vehicle, I'm not sure where you would stand on this.

TruckMan

Local time
Today, 08:46
>>> Their claim is that their "technicians" might get hurt because the tires are so big... <<<

Do the tires have a separate Metal retaining ring?
They do not...Split rings have been gone from the tire scene many years...The tires they sold me for my truck are the same commercial Michelins you will find on most medium-duty trucks and many RV's and motorhomes...
However there is a simple solution for any tire repair company, they should have a special cage in which the tire is placed whilst it is being inflated. This is probably your problem, they do not have such a safety cage on site.
Precisely my point...If they cared about their employees, the correct safety equipment would be in place in every store and every technician would be trained in its use...

If they cared about their customers' well being and safety, they would service the products they sell and would not refuse to, at the very least, check the product they sold and installed for proper air pressure before sendind an 8,000 pound vehicle out into traffic...Ben

statsman

Local time
Today, 09:46
Have you asked for a refund of your warenty package?
If not, might be fun. Also contact the consumer reporter at your local TV/radio station. This is the sort of story they would enjoy doing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom