Advertisement Claims (1 Viewer)

supercharge

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 12:17
Has any of you ever heard or seen a commercial and then wondered if what they said was actually true? It happens to me everytime and I'm wondering if the goverment does regulate what they can say and what they can't in a commercial.

I've seen so many car ads and they say something like "We have the largest selection in the Northwest" or "We are rated the best by Associated Press" or "We have the best deal and lowest price"..... and many more. Does the government require proofs for these kinds of claim? They can't just say anything what want, can they? :rolleyes:

Thanks,

I'm totally not sure of all the regulations in my state.

BarryMK

4 strings are enough
Local time
Today, 20:17
In the UK we have an advertising standards authority that oversees advertising claims and standards of taste, decency etc.

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
I've noticed that products like Actimel use phrases like "casei immunitas" or "biffidum digestivum" - what normal person knows what that is? "you have to eat healthy bacteria to fight the unhealthy bacteria":confused: surely a balanced diet including veggies is best. . . . . . why do we need this stuff? personally, I think its a load of bo***cks - if people had proper meals at proper times and not this fast-food rubbish they wouldn't need it

They have these 2 women chatting in the kitchen about it:confused: they rattle off these phrases like they're discussing shoe styles. . . . . . one says she's "really bloated". . . . the other says " oh you need this because its got "biffidum digestivum" in it. . . . . . . . . . .I know what she needs - a good plateful of beans on toast!! that'll clear her bloated guts:D

Womens hair products also use these long named ingredients - do they really expect you to know what it is? or are they hoping to impress by using a long named ingredient - "because you're worth it"

Col

BarryMK

4 strings are enough
Local time
ColinEssex said:
Womens hair products also use these long named ingredients - do they really expect you to know what it is? or are they hoping to impress by using a long named ingredient - "because you're worth it"

Col

Personally I never wash with a shampoo that doesn't contain "Boswellox".

I've no idea what it is but it must be good or they wouldn't advertise it - would they?:D :D

KenHigg

Local time
Today, 15:17
BarryMK said:
In the UK we have an advertising standards authority that oversees advertising claims and standards of taste, decency etc.

Are things like taste and decency rather subjective? And wouldn't any effort at regulating them be a form of censorship?

R

Rich

BarryMK said:

Pity they don't regulate claims made by governments :mad:

R

Rich

KenHigg said:
Those guys that don't want to do any real work...

I bumped into mine only this morning, oddly enough he was one of my best mates as a kid.
I'm not suggesting of course that our friendship has any influence on him :D

EmmaJane

Registered User.
Local time
What I really hate is the adverts you get aimed at kids. The "perfect" images they are constantly showing to children now is scary. They are inundated with adverts telling in order to be beautiful and popular you need to eat certain sweets or wear certain clothes or own certain games. It all seems a lot more pushy and manipulative. This is why I "encourage" my kids to watch the BBC!

Groundrush

Registered User.
Local time
I once bought a can of Right Guard Deodorant & used it for a month.

I'm still waiting to be mobbed by a group of tall gorgeous women :mad:

Last edited:

EmmaJane

Registered User.
Local time
Groundrush said:
I once bought a can of Right Guard Deodorant & used it for a month.

I'm still waiting to be mobbed by a group of tall gorgeous woman :mad:

Did you read the small print on the back of the can that says you have to bathe as well and not just keep covering it up with more deodorant?? ;) :D

Groundrush

Registered User.
Local time
EmmaJane said:
Did you read the small print on the back of the can that says you have to bathe as well and not just keep covering it up with more deodorant?? ;) :D

Point taken :p

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
EmmaJane said:
What I really hate is the adverts you get aimed at kids. The "perfect" images they are constantly showing to children now is scary. They are inundated with adverts telling in order to be beautiful and popular you need to eat certain sweets or wear certain clothes or own certain games. It all seems a lot more pushy and manipulative. This is why I "encourage" my kids to watch the BBC!
The trouble is Emma, its not just the telly - its kids mags and of course the biggest problem area. . . . peer pressure, wear the wrong trainers and you get beaten to a pulp:rolleyes:

EmmaJane

Registered User.
Local time
ColinEssex said:
The trouble is Emma, its not just the telly - its kids mags and of course the biggest problem area. . . . peer pressure, wear the wrong trainers and you get beaten to a pulp:rolleyes:

Col

Hasn't there always been peer pressure?? Plus where do they get the idea of what's cool and what's not??

Adverting in all it's forms...from telly to sponsorship has been come much more sophisticated and manipulative. It would now seem to invade almost every aspect of our lifes, starting when we are kids and the sponsorship that now goes on in school.....

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
EmmaJane said:
Col

Hasn't there always been peer pressure?? Plus where do they get the idea of what's cool and what's not??
Not as much as there is today. I understand that if you are the slightest bit different from the mainstream (disabled, wear glasses, religious etc) then bullying can be a real problem. I've heard of kids being beaten up because they are dislexic or they stutter.
Peer pressure in the 60's didn't centre on clothes or trainers or MP3 or mobiles, it was mainly smoking and taking purple hearts (drugs - not those badges American servicemen get for cutting their finger).

I don't know how "cool" is decided, its the same as women all suddenly wearing low cut jeans that expose their underwear. . . . . or any other fashion trend

Col

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom