Christmas Decorations (2 Viewers)

nikkypickles

Total Novice
Local time
Today, 11:34
Before I get jumped on by the Moderators, this is going to be a political thread, honest.

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/05122006/140/xmas-ban-firms-scared-tinsel.html

While I can understand calling them "Christmas" decorations may cause some problems, preventing any "Festive" decorations is just an example of political correctness gone too far.

There was also a news story (now unable to locate) of a small village attempting to hold a Festive Holiday Party in council buildings, only to be prevented by the mountains of red tape - risk assessments for mince pies, Santa needing a complete Criminal Records Bureau clearance, no xmas tree (too dangerous) and full health and safety checks on all decorations. For a private party!

Our increasing fear of litigation (sorry J and accompanied US-citizens, this one came from your side of the pond) has meant that soon we will need a full risk assessment, signed in triplicate before leaving our front doors.

An additional bit of worry for me is the Good Samaritan rule for First Aiders. God help me should I go to the US. In this country, I am protected by the ruling that I am acting as a Good Samaritan should I choose to provide First Aid. Key word there is choose. There is discussion among these circles that in the US you can be sued if you are a First Aider and don't provide help, and you can be sued if you provide First Aid and things don't get better.

Any more litigation that's frightening the world we live in?

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
nikkypickles said:
Before I get jumped on by the Moderators,
there's only one who may inflict strange morals on threads and be selective about who is chastised.

While I can understand calling them "Christmas" decorations may cause some problems,
it is confusing Nikky, it is after all a festival which has nothing to do with religion.

risk assessments for mince pies, Santa needing a complete Criminal Records Bureau clearance, no xmas tree (too dangerous) and full health and safety checks on all decorations. For a private party!
I saw that story, its total madness - sadly its all down to the Yankee sue-all culture creeping in.

Col

jsanders

If I Only had a Brain
Local time
Today, 06:34
nikkypickles said:
Before I get jumped on by the Moderators, this is going to be a political thread, honest.

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/05122006/140/xmas-ban-firms-scared-tinsel.html

While I can understand calling them "Christmas" decorations may cause some problems, preventing any "Festive" decorations is just an example of political correctness gone too far.

There was also a news story (now unable to locate) of a small village attempting to hold a Festive Holiday Party in council buildings, only to be prevented by the mountains of red tape - risk assessments for mince pies, Santa needing a complete Criminal Records Bureau clearance, no xmas tree (too dangerous) and full health and safety checks on all decorations. For a private party!

Our increasing fear of litigation (sorry J and accompanied US-citizens, this one came from your side of the pond) has meant that soon we will need a full risk assessment, signed in triplicate before leaving our front doors.

An additional bit of worry for me is the Good Samaritan rule for First Aiders. God help me should I go to the US. In this country, I am protected by the ruling that I am acting as a Good Samaritan should I choose to provide First Aid. Key word there is choose. There is discussion among these circles that in the US you can be sued if you are a First Aider and don't provide help, and you can be sued if you provide First Aid and things don't get better.

Any more litigation that's frightening the world we live in?

Kill all the lawyers, British and American alike.

It may not solve all our problems, but it will be a great start.

The use of lawyers seems to be more civilized than dueling; but is it really?

scott-atkinson

I'm with the Witch.......
Local time
jsanders said:
The use of lawyers seems to be more civilized than dueling; but is it really?

It is only the lawyers that profit from these cases.

In the UK the system is starting to get just as crazy as the US, you can have your partner or father murdered and receive a pittance from the Governments criminal injuries board, but at the same time you can take your employer to court for stress and get thousands of pounds.

Where is the common sense?

It won't be long before criminals will be granted legal aid to sue there victims for the stress of victimising them!! Mark my words it's coming!!

R

Rich

Oh dear, this thread has a distinct anti-American flavour. How strange that one who decided to brand me the same should start a thread just a few days after, making the same comments I've been making here over the years.
I equate it with those new wave comedians who had the likes of Benny Hill removed from our screens for sexism and vulgarity and then went on to permeate every joke they told with liberal sprinklings of the f and c words as well as repeated references to genitalia. Long live the new world order and god help us all. Oh search here for posts on the sue all culture, I'm sure you'll find it educational

jsanders

If I Only had a Brain
Local time
Rich said:
Oh dear, this thread has a distinct anti-American flavour. How strange that one who decided to brand me the same should start a thread just a few days after, making the same comments I've been making here over the years.
I equate it with those new wave comedians who had the likes of Benny Hill removed from our screens for sexism and vulgarity and then went on to permeate every joke they told with liberal sprinklings of the f and c words as well as repeated references to genitalia. Long live the new world order and god help us all. Oh search here for posts on the sue all culture, I'm sure you'll find it educational
What are you ranting about?

jsanders

If I Only had a Brain
Local time
Rich said:
Seek and ye will find, search the archives

Not interested; I know your views on our society.

I'm asking; why are you ranting?

R

Rich

jsanders said:
Not interested; I know your views on our society.
You've no idea

I'm asking; why are you ranting
See if you can figure it yourself, I'll give you a hint, the originator of this thread branded me anti-American after only 5mins on the forum, then posted the same sort of thing I've posted here numerous times over the years.
I wonder how long before she's branded anti-American and decides to live up to the charge?:rolleyes:

jsanders

If I Only had a Brain
Local time
Rich said:
You've no idea

See if you can figure it yourself, I'll give you a hint, the originator of this thread branded me anti-American after only 5mins on the forum, then posted the same sort of thing I've posted here numerous times over the years.
I wonder how long before she's branded anti-American and decides to live up to the charge?:rolleyes:

OK I got all that. Why are you ranting?

jsanders

If I Only had a Brain
Local time
Rich said:
Same reason I've ranted over Bush and Bliar over all these years

Has it done you any good?

jsanders

If I Only had a Brain
Local time
Rich said:
Yes, it's remarkable therapy

By all means then. But I thought you said only Americans needed therapy.:confused: :confused:

R

Rich

jsanders said:
By all means then. But I thought you said only Americans needed therapy.:confused: :confused:
I don't have to pay for it, in any case when in the company of Romans etc

jsanders

If I Only had a Brain
Local time
Rich said:
I don't have to pay for it, in any case when in the company of Romans etc

Oh I see.

So like the Romans before us, do as we do, because we rule the known world.

And yes they did fall, but only after a thousand years or so.

R

Rich

jsanders said:
Oh I see.

So like the Romans before us, do as we do, because we rule the known world.

And yes they did fall, but only after a thousand years or so.
Your empire isn't going to last anywhere near as long, in anycase I decided to take a leaf out of the Americans posting here's book and fight fire with fire

jsanders

If I Only had a Brain
Local time
Rich said:
Your empire isn't going to last anywhere near as long, in anycase I decided to take a leaf out of the Americans posting here's book and fight fire with fire

Well were one fifth of the way there now.

jsanders

If I Only had a Brain
Local time
Rich said:
How long has 60 been a fith of a thousand?

Our time began when we decided to kick ya'lls tyrannical predecessors off our continent.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom