Christmas Decorations (1 Viewer)

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
Today, 09:47
Rich said:
Constant belittlement by most of the American male posters here, I have to say though that the female Americans posting here are far more enlightened than their male counterparts
I agree, the male American posters are always spoiling for a fight (the American dream I suppose), but if you want to have a sound sensible discussion, then the female Americans here by far outshine the American males.

Col

Mile-O

Back once again...
Local time
I think a lot of this crap tends to get blown out of proportion or reported out of context. We just so happen to have been having a discussion on political correctness over here and when you read some of the stuff from the anti-PC brigade you see how misinformed and incapable of forming opinions with substance they are.

There was a good article in the Guardian last week called The Phoney War On Christmas which investigated some of the claims that seem to get the anti-PC brigade up in arms over nothing. Such cases as Luton Council supposedly banning people celebrating Christmas and Birmingham renaming Christmas as Winterval.

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
I'm unclear as to why it has "Christ" in the name when it is nothing to do with religion:confused:

Col

R

Rich

ColinEssex said:
I'm unclear as to why it has "Christ" in the name when it is nothing to do with religion:confused:

Col
Yes it should be re-named the festival of trees

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
Rich said:
Yes it should be re-named the festival of trees
It probobly was when it was a good old pagan knees-up - before the religious holier-than-thou hypocritical freaks hijacked it:rolleyes:

Col

Bodisathva

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 04:47
ColinEssex said:
... before the religious holier-than-thou hypocritical freaks hijacked it:rolleyes:
...and the "US Male Posters" are the one's itching for a fight? :confused: :eek:

nikkypickles

Total Novice
Local time
SJ McAbney said:
I think a lot of this crap tends to get blown out of proportion or reported out of context. We just so happen to have been having a discussion on political correctness over here and when you read some of the stuff from the anti-PC brigade you see how misinformed and incapable of forming opinions with substance they are.

I wouldn't say I'm anti-PC. I feel very uncomfortable around deliberate racism, where it is used to be hurtful and hateful. But at the same time, I know people of the older generation to whom the word n*gger is just a descriptive term, not an insult.

I wouldn't necessarily say that the original story behind my first post was a case of political correctness gone mad. More a case of needless beaurocracy gone mad - red tape which could have been used to decorate a Winterval tree! It is the fear of being sued, the increasing influence of a compensation culture. It really exists - and it is really infuriating.

Pauldohert

Something in here
Local time
Today, 01:47
It probobly was when it was a good old pagan knees-up - before the religious holier-than-thou hypocritical freaks hijacked it

Can you post a narrative/history of how that occured?

KenHigg

Local time
Bodisathva said:
...and the "US Male Posters" are the one's itching for a fight? :confused: :eek:

He's not a very nice person at times is he...

dan-cat

Registered User.
Local time
KenHigg said:
He's not a very nice person at times is he...

jsanders

If I Only had a Brain
Local time
dan-cat said:
Nah people actually laugh at Waldorf and Statler's gags. ;)

I was just wondering, cause they sure are a handsome bunch.

KenHigg

Local time

Attachments

• gonemad.gif
    gonemad.gif
    62.6 KB · Views: 159
Last edited:

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
Pauldohert said:
Can you post a narrative/history of how that occured?

"We could continue with much more documentation and history, but anyone who has the desire can soon find out for himself that Christmas is a thoroughly pagan holiday — in its origin, in its trappings, and in all its traditions.

Don’t take my word for it though, you need only read a dictionary, encyclopedia, or some books on the holidays from your public library. No honest person can deny these truths. The Roman Catholic Church, which originated this holiday, admits that it was taken from paganism and adapted for its own purposes."
Full text

Plus the many other websites that google highlights

Col

statsman

Local time
We just had a case here in Toronto where the senior judge at one of the courthouses ordered the Christmas tree in the lobby removed. She thought it was insulting to non Christians.

The support staff at the courthouse (many of who are not Christians but had no problem with a Christmas tree) were up in arms.

The Chief Judge got involved. He told the senior judge to return the tree or else he would expect to find her in her office on Christmas and Boxing Day working.

The tree was returned.

There was joke going around a few years ago to the effect that the "Ministry of Political Correctness" had ordered people to stop using the word "Eskimo". Eskimo is a Cree Indian word and in the Cree language it's quite insulting. When asked what word should be used instead, the Ministry said use Inuit. An Inuit is an indiginous resident of the Arctic (see, I didn't use the "E" word). It was pointed out that Inuit only live in the Eastern Arctic. There also Aleuts and other native groups who wouldn't be covered by the term Inuit. After a long consultation, the Ministry decided the correct term for an indiginous person living in the Arctic would be "Warmth Challenged".

Last edited:
R

Rich

Just bought a carton of Christmas decs from a chain store here, the message now reads Happy Holidays:rolleyes:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom