Entertainment that Best Depicts American Life (1 Viewer)

FoFa

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 15:46
reclusivemonkey said:
LOL I was replying in the style of Hyacinth; If you've seen the show I am sure you will understand. Guess my impressions don't work as well when typed out ;-)
Oh, sorry, you are correct, Hyacinth would say that!
reclusivemonkey said:
I'm not even going to mention the American remake of Fawlty Towers. I would be interested in the opinions of any Americans who have seen the UK "The Office" and the American one... I watched the American one for about five minutes but couldn't take any more than that.
American remake of Faulty Towers? Humm, didn't catch it or it is not ringing a bell.
Interesting on "The Office" my daughter asked for the DVD for christmas, "The American one, not the British one". We could find tons of copies of "The British" one, but were hard pressed to find a copy of "The American" one.

reclusivemonkey

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 21:46
FoFa said:
American remake of Faulty Towers? Humm, didn't catch it or it is not ringing a bell.

It did exist, albeit for one series. I say "remake"; they changed quite a bit...

Hmm, that Basil is quite a grumpy character, lets make him happier... and why can't he just get on with his wife?

I am in the middle of moving house at the moment, but when I get chance I will have a look for the name... it wasn't Fawlty Towers, or anything even close.

Kraj

Registered User.
Local time
ColinEssex said:
Interesting JJ, you seem to think opposite to Kraj on this (summary below) - so I'll ask again - is there any US TV show or US film that shows actual American life?:confused:
I'm dissappointed, Col. I thought you of all people would know a wind-up when you saw one. *tsk tsk* ;)

The Stoat

The Grim Squeaker
Local time
Friday said:
Shawn of the Dead

I fanstastic film that nearly got me kicked out of the Cinema for laughing so loudly. The scene with the lads throwing records at the zombies is a classic. :D

MrsGorilla

Rat Race Participant
Local time
FoFa said:

I hadn't heard of it either. It must have been a bomb, and really, who can compete with John Cleese? :D

FoFa said:
Interesting on "The Office" my daughter asked for the DVD for christmas, "The American one, not the British one". We could find tons of copies of "The British" one, but were hard pressed to find a copy of "The American" one.

I've seen a couple of episodes of the American version but I don't really follow it. They say something funny once in a while but not enough to justify watching the whole episode, in my opinion. I haven't seen the British one, so I wouldn't be able to make a comparison. I used to watch "Are You Being Served?" too and thought it was funny.

MrsGorilla

Rat Race Participant
Local time
The Stoat said:
I fanstastic film that nearly got me kicked out of the Cinema for laughing so loudly. The scene with the lads throwing records at the zombies is a classic. :D

I've been wanting to see that but haven't gotten to yet. :(

FoFa

Registered User.
Local time
Friday said:
Shawn of the Dead
I am a "B" movie lover (for horror/sci-fi) but this one was even past me, just too stupid, but I guess to each his own.

reclusivemonkey

Registered User.
Local time
MrsGorilla said:
I hadn't heard of it either. It must have been a bomb, and really, who can compete with John Cleese? :D

There were two actually; Amanda's and Payne. Can't remember which one it was I saw. I think it was Payne...

Quite embarrassing really. I've seen more rubbish American TV than the Americans ;-)

reclusivemonkey

Registered User.
Local time
FoFa said:
I am a "B" movie lover (for horror/sci-fi) but this one was even past me, just too stupid, but I guess to each his own.

Anything with Zombies in is fine by me :) Do you count Hammer movies in with this FoFa?

R

Rich

reclusivemonkey said:
"The Office" and the American one... I watched the American one for about five minutes but couldn't take any more than that.
I couldn't stomach the British one for that long:rolleyes:
and what f...ing idiots decided that the Christmas special of the office was no.2 in the "all time chrismas specials"?:mad: :rolleyes:

reclusivemonkey

Registered User.
Local time
Rich said:
I couldn't stomach the British one for that long:rolleyes:

I can't get enough of Ricky Gervais... I nearly literally split my sides listening to it the other day. I vote Karl Pilkington for Prime Minister.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/podcasts/rickygervais/mp3.xml

Rich said:
and what f...ing idiots decided that the Christmas special of the office was no.2 in the "all time chrismas specials"?:mad: :rolleyes:

Thats the trouble with these "100 Best..."; people have poor and subjective memories!

R

Rich

reclusivemonkey said:
I can't get enough of Ricky Gervais... I nearly literally split my sides listening to it the other day. I vote Karl Pilkington for Prime Minister.

Which bit is funny?:confused:
at least there's some consolation tonight, the Catherine Tate Christmas special's on:cool:

reclusivemonkey

Registered User.
Local time
Rich said:
Which bit is funny?:confused:

Its all funny to me Rich. I would of thought that was obvious from my post.

Rich said:
at least there's some consolation tonight, the Catherine Tate Christmas special's on:cool:

There you go, I think Catherine Tate is the most overated comedian on TV at the moment. Once you've seen one sketch show you've seen all the jokes. Very poor. Viva la difference eh?

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
Kraj said:
I'm dissappointed, Col. I thought you of all people would know a wind-up when you saw one. *tsk tsk* ;)

A wind-up??? gosh! I'd never have known:rolleyes: :cool: ;)
JSanders said:
It was a joke Col
Its a movie about a vampire hunter.

Had you read a few posts on you would have seen this:rolleyes:

ColinEssex said:
er, yes I know, my answer was meant to perpetuate the conversation but I suppose the subtleties of British humour got lost mid-Atlantic

So you don't have vampires in the USA?
you know, people slightly cross eyed, lusting after blood and power, sending people to their deaths so as to achieve world domination at any cost

Col

Mile-O

Back once again...
Local time
Yes, Catherine Tate is an unfunny old sow. Her and that Little Britain tosh. The best sketch show the BBC has had for a while is Man Stroke Woman, on BBC3, and, going back a few years, Big Train.

reclusivemonkey

Registered User.
Local time
SJ McAbney said:
Yes, Catherine Tate is an unfunny old sow. Her and that Little Britain tosh. The best sketch show the BBC has had for a while is Man Stroke Woman, on BBC3, and, going back a few years, Big Train.

I quite liked Little Britain when I first heard it on the radio (well internet - I went for a long time without a TV), but even then after the first few shows its become very repetitive. For me the best sketch show was always the Fast Show. Man Stroke Woman does look good - I'm hoping there may be a Freeview TV Card for my pvr from Santa somewhere under the tree...

However, radio producing the best comedy is still true now I think. You only need to go to the BBC Radio listen on demand and choose the comedy section; there's a much better selection than on TV.

I must be getting old... ;-)

Mile-O

Back once again...
Local time
reclusivemonkey said:
However, radio producing the best comedy is still true now I think. You only need to go to the BBC Radio listen on demand and choose the comedy section; there's a much better selection than on TV.

Yes, I still love listening to I'm Sorry I Haven't A Clue on BBC Radio 4.

Some classics:

Lionel Blair (re: Give Us A Clue)

The expert's expert in that game being of course Lionel Blair. Who can forget the sight of Una Stubbs sitting there open-mouthed as he tried to bring off Twelve Angry Men in under two minutes?

"Who will ever forget Lionel Blair, exhausted and on his knees, finishing off An Officer and a Gentleman in under two minutes?"

"None of us can forget the relish with which he once gave Melvyn Hayes and Christopher Biggins Yanks for two whole minutes."

Samantha

"She's become quite friendly with the two elderly archivists, Jack and Arthur. They've recently gone part time, so Samantha's come to a working arrangement. She does the paperwork, Arthur gets her forty-fives out, and Jack's off all afternoon."

"She's looking forward to going out for an ice cream with her Italian gentleman friend. She says she's looking forward to licking the nuts off a large Neapolitan."

Mrs Trellis

"A Mrs Trellis of North Wales has written in to complain that the show has "an enormous fistful of rampant innuendo rammed into every crack", but only a truly filthy-minded person would think such a thing."

"Dear Mr Titchmarsh: This morning I went out to dig up some dandelions and a giant hogweed on my lawn. The filthy beast! Yours faithfully, Mrs Trellis."

"Dear Mr Melly: Here's a great tip for removing any annoying little hairs that collect in the bath plughole: tempt them up with a carrot and pull them out by their long floppy ears."

"Dear Yoko Ono: Is it true that your name is Japanese for one egg?

reclusivemonkey

Registered User.
Local time
A couple of my friends once met Lionel Blair at some function or other. They have a picture of both of them in a headlock either side of Lionel, its a belter! He seems a great character.

R

Rich

reclusivemonkey said:
Its all funny to me Rich. I would of thought that was obvious from my post.

There you go, I think Catherine Tate is the most overated comedian on TV at the moment. Once you've seen one sketch show you've seen all the jokes. Very poor. Viva la difference eh?
There aren't any jokes in the Office, anyway I AINT BOVERRED

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
reclusivemonkey said:
A couple of my friends once met Lionel Blair at some function or other. They have a picture of both of them in a headlock either side of Lionel, its a belter! He seems a great character.
I like old Lionel, he's been around forever - he was in A Hard Days Night

Col

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom