I'm in Love with ChatGPT

Could it be that the only reason humans are intelligent is because we constructed language, and that formed intelligence? I mean, it's hard to think that a chat GPT isn't intelligent. Look at what it wrote there for Jack - absolutely brilliant! So, is that just the difference between Man and animals - we have a large language vocabulary which promotes intelligence? I mean, you can see it in the LLM.
Animals have different levels of intelligence. For me, I think the fact we have language means that AI can hitch a ride on it. It crunches the numbers of probabilities. But if a species doesn't have language, then AI could perhaps mimic their behaviour, and so display intelligence that way. But no speakie? Well, animals don't speak! Not like a master orator anyway. I did watch a Crow on YouTube the other day keep repeating the word, "What!", but that was the extent of it.

Tony,
I just finished that sentence, 'the same thing,' and I came to an abrupt halt because I didn't know what to say next.
I don't think it happens at the sentence level. I think initially there is a concept/idea (much like an Entity that has attributes). Depending on the tokenization and chatGPT's associated attributes, my guess is that's when sentences occur.
You add the next sentence in terms of your thoughts/views of the concept. chatGPT adds sentences based on his statistical priorities until he/she feels the concept has been "covered".

From previous video discussion, I was impressed with Kaku's comment that only humans have the ability to conceptualize time. Yesterday, today, tomorrow, next week... that seemed to be his mark of intelligence -at least to some degree. He also said current AI has the intelligence of a dumb, cockroach. Animals have some instincts.

He also said current AI has the intelligence of a dumb, cockroach. Animals have some instincts.
That dumb cockroach can pass the bar exam. What does that say about lawyers?

Keep your eyes open for a van with peculiar looking aerial sticking out at the top of it. I know what to do! Fit a camera in your vehicle with an AI watching out for this novel speed trap vehicle!
No need to look out for vans Uncle.
Most cars made in the last maybe five years and every single electric car is a networked computer. It knows where you are and where you've been and when. Not only that, Musk and others can probably predict where you are going to go. He and others are logging every journey you make and what your maximum and average speed was. The authorities will pay for that data whenever they need it. Cameras will eventually be abandoned as unnecessary as soon as there are so few of the older cars as not to matter. Or just left there just to catch those in the older cars.

Your car will advise the police when and where you were speeding, making an illegal turn, going over a double white line, or illegally stopping to drop someone off. Then, when you get home the fine is on your card. Your insurance company will increase your premium by analysing the data they will buy from car companies or the authorities. You are about to be charged into submission.

Even now in one way or another you are suppling so much information about yourself and the frightening thing is that there are people out there who want to know these trivialities. Nothing is private anymore and hasn't been for some time. Some of the increases in taxation is so the government can buy your data.

It's all about money, loads of money, money for nothing.

That's a brilliant explanation thank you Jack..

I note The following:-

Extract:-
Traditional software is designed to operate on data that’s unambiguous.

And

People resolve ambiguities like this based on context, but there are no simple or deterministic rules for doing this.

I heard mention that Elon Musk has adapted the language model idea to the Self driving software. With regard to the above I can see it would be a relatively simple process! (Tongue-in cheek)... But there's no doubt in my mind that we will shortly have full self driving and not long after that it will spread across the world. Then there will be massive legal battles, and eventually the right to drive on the roads will be taken away, because it will be deemed unsafe.

If there is a major surge in electric vehicle usage, then we can expect a corresponding series of brown-outs/black-outs.
Without electricity, possibly because of climate lockdowns, we'd have limited use of internet and chatGPT. Sounds like a vicious circle.

My brother asked me if it was possible to have an internet cable 500 feet long. I decided to ask ChatGPT. After reading up on Chatty's various suggestions, I chose the "coaxial cable" option. I researched it and was surprised at how reliable, robust and cheap it was.

I located all the parts I need, created the order, now waiting for confirmation from my brother on measurements before I go ahead and hit the buy button. It came out at around £75 pounds sterling for a 600 feet installation. I then asked chat GPT to package our conversation into a Blog which I have posted here, I have not fact checked anything, except the coaxial cable option.

Extending Internet to 600 Feet: A Comprehensive Guide​

In today's digital age, having a reliable and extensive internet connection is crucial. Whether you're working from home, streaming your favourite shows, or simply browsing the web, a strong internet connection can make all the difference. But what if you need to extend your internet connection to a distance of 600 feet or more? This blog post will guide you through the various methods available to achieve this, with a particular focus on Ethernet over Coax (EoC) converters.

Methods to Extend Internet Connection​

There are several methods available to extend your internet connection up to 600 feet. These include:

• Ethernet Extender: The most straightforward method involves using an Ethernet cable. However, Ethernet cables (Cat5, Cat5e, Cat6) have a limit of approximately 330 feet (100 meters). To extend this, you can use Ethernet extenders.
  • Powerline Adapters: These devices transmit internet over your home's existing electrical circuit. While the theoretical limit can reach up to 984 feet (300 meters), real-world conditions, like the quality of your wiring, can affect this range.
  • Wireless Bridges: These devices link networks across considerable distances outdoors. They usually come in pairs, with one device acting as a transmitter and the other as a receiver. Some models can cover distances up to 15 kilometers or more in ideal conditions.
  • Mesh Network: A mesh Wi-Fi network involves multiple router-like devices placed around your home that work together to cover your home with a Wi-Fi signal. However, depending on the specific mesh system's range and the number of nodes used, this method can become expensive.
  • Point-to-Point Wi-Fi Antennas: This solution involves installing two directional antennas, one at the point where your internet comes in and another at the place you want to extend the signal to. This solution is typically used for long-range outdoor applications.
Regardless of the method you choose, your actual performance will be influenced by environmental factors such as physical obstacles, electrical interference, and the quality of your equipment. It's advisable to consult a professional or do thorough research before making a decision.

Ethernet Over Coax (EoC) Converters: An In-Depth Look​

Ethernet extenders, often referred to as Ethernet over Coax (EoC) converters, are devices that allow you to repurpose existing coaxial cable lines for network connectivity. Coaxial cables are commonly used for cable TV and Internet, satellite dish connections, and closed-circuit television (CCTV).

An Ethernet over Coax converter pair essentially transforms these coaxial lines into a high-speed network cable. The setup typically involves two converters: one at each end of the coaxial cable. One converter receives the Ethernet data and converts it into a signal that can be transmitted over the coax cable. The other converter receives this signal and converts it back into Ethernet data.

The advantages of Ethernet extenders/EoC converters include:

• Distance: They can transmit data over much longer distances than traditional Ethernet cables. Some models can reach distances up to 1-2 kilometers.
  • Cost-effectiveness: If you already have existing coaxial cables, there's no need to run new Ethernet cables. This can save on installation costs, especially over long distances or in buildings where running new cables would be difficult.
  • High Speeds: Ethernet over Coax converters can offer speeds that are suitable for most residential and many business applications.

Ethernet Over Coax in a Passive System​

Ethernet over Coax (EoC) solutions can vary significantly in the distances they can cover, depending on the specific hardware used, the quality of the coaxial cabling, and the presence of any interference.

In a passive system, which means there are no active powered components boosting the signal along the cable's length, the transmission distance is typically lower. For example, MoCA (Multimedia over Coax Alliance) technology, which is a popular standard for Ethernet over Coax, states that its technology can achieve distances up to 300 meters (approximately 985 feet) under optimal conditions.

However, real-world results may vary based on the specifics of the setup. For instance, old or poor-quality cables, or cables with a lot of splits or joins, might reduce the achievable distance.

Remember, while EoC can support these longer distances, the speed and quality of the connection may degrade the further the signal has to travel, especially in a passive system without any repeaters or signal boosters. Always consider both the required distance and the necessary data rate for your specific application when choosing a solution.

Choosing the Right Coaxial Cable​

You can technically use any type of coaxial cable for Ethernet over Coax (EoC), but not all cables are created equal. The type of coaxial cable you use can have a significant impact on the performance of your network, affecting both the maximum distance and speed that can be achieved.

Here are some common types of coaxial cables and their potential use in EoC applications:

• RG-6: This is a popular type of coax cable for residential and commercial use, often used for cable TV and internet services. RG-6 has better shielding and lower signal loss compared to RG-59, making it a good choice for EoC.
  • RG-59: This type of cable is often used for closed-circuit TV (CCTV) and some older cable TV installations. While you can use RG-59 for EoC, its performance may not be as good as RG-6 due to higher signal loss.
  • RG-11: This cable has even better performance characteristics than RG-6, but it's also thicker and less flexible, which can make installation more difficult. You might choose RG-11 for very long EoC runs.
Remember that the condition of the cable can also affect your network's performance. Old or damaged cables might not perform as well as new ones. In addition, the specific EoC adapters you're using might be designed for use with certain types of coaxial cables, so always check the manufacturer's recommendations.

In general, if you're planning a new installation and have a choice, RG-6 is often the best choice for EoC due to its balance of performance, cost, and ease of installation. If you're working with existing cabling, use the highest quality cable available to get the best performance from your EoC network.

RG-6 vs. RG-59: Which to Choose?​

While RG-59 is not as high-performing as RG-6, it can still be used for Ethernet over Coax (EoC) applications. The main differences between the two are in the shielding and signal loss.

RG-59 cable is typically thinner and has less shielding against interference, which means it can experience higher signal loss over long distances compared to RG-6. This can potentially lead to slower data speeds or more unreliable connections, especially for longer cable runs.

However, the actual impact on your internet connection can depend on a number of factors including the length of the cable run, the quality of the cable and connectors, the specific EoC equipment you're using, and the speed of your internet connection. If you're not pushing the limits of distance or speed, and the environment doesn't have a lot of potential sources of interference, you might not notice a significant difference when using RG-59.

Is an Internet Speed of 10/100 Serviceable?​

An internet speed of 10/100 Mbps (10 Mbps upload and 100 Mbps download) can certainly be serviceable for many users, depending on their internet needs. Here's what you can typically do with these speeds:

• Browsing and Email: Web browsing and email typically require minimal bandwidth, and even 10 Mbps is more than enough for these activities.
  • Video Streaming: For streaming video, Netflix recommends a speed of 5 Mbps for HD quality, and 25 Mbps for 4K quality per stream. With 100 Mbps download speed, you would comfortably support multiple simultaneous HD streams, or a few 4K streams.
  • Online Gaming: Online gaming surprisingly doesn't require very high speeds, but it is sensitive to stability and latency of your connection. Even a speed of 10 Mbps can be enough for most online games, but having more bandwidth like your 100 Mbps download speed provides extra headroom for more stable gameplay, especially with multiple devices connected.
  • Video Calls: For video calling, platforms like Zoom recommend a speed of 1.8 Mbps for group video calls in 1080p quality. Again, your 10 Mbps upload speed should handle this without issue.
  • Downloading/Uploading Large Files: The 100 Mbps download speed should allow for relatively quick downloads of large files. The 10 Mbps upload speed isn't as fast and might be a bit slow if you frequently need to upload large files.

Regarding chatGPT and your question/thoughts on "analogy", see this article.

Extract:-
"Human natural language is replete with analogies; accurately predicting natural language therefore probably requires an ability to appreciate analogies."

I recall watching a video of Richard Feynman explaining something. Richard, a master of analogy. I believe I'm correct in saying that Richard said that if you couldn't explain something to a child then you didn't really understand it yourself.

To put that another way, if you can't construct an analogy of something to simplify it, then you don't understand it yourself. It occurs to me now, stating this, when somebody explains something to you simply, in a manner which a child could understand, they are not talking down to you, they are reassuring themselves that they understand it!

Update on the differences between ChatGPT4 and Claude.

I am writing a science fiction story and I have just resurrected Scrivener which I purchased nearly 10 years ago to help me build this story! I couldn't get on with it at the time, but I've relented and decided I need to use the structure it provides for my Story. So here we go again with scrivener! I've got several blocks of text, I think it's a bit early to call them chapters! I note that scrivener suggests giving your characters an overview by listing their attributes.

Character Name:-

Role in Story:
Physical Description:
Personality:
Habits/Mannerisms:
Background:
Internal Conflicts:
External Conflicts:
Notes:

So I decided to paste the block of text relating to a particular character into ChatGPT and ask it to list the above character attributes. It did an excellent job! I grabbed a load more text and shoved it into a ChatGPT but this time it failed, stating that the text was too long.

I opened up Claude and posted the same text into Claude and hey presto Claude produced a nice list of character attributes for all of the characters mentioned in the text. One up to Claude!

Claude's ability to handle a big block of text is definitely a major advantage over ChatGPT...

I have skimped over this article and found it informative.

Posting here so I remember to read it thoroughly when on my tea break...

A word of caution for those programming.

The article has this tidbit:
Nonetheless, Stack Overflow's use seems to have declined, though the amount is disputed. It appears traffic has been down six percent every month since January 2022 and was down 13.9 percent in March, according to an April report from SimilarWeb that suggested usage of ChatGPT may be contributing to the decline.
I stopped using Stack Overflow many many many years ago for the simple reason that you get mercilessly attacked for asking "stupid" questions and getting unceremoniously voted down. So much for the concept that there is no such thing as a stupid question. I can imagine others, after being treated badly, have also stopped using it for that very reason. Fortunately, this website is much more friendly and helpful.

Last edited:
I stopped using Stack Overflow many many many years ago for the simple reason
I can't remember why I stopped using stack overflow, but I do recall I didn't enjoy the experience. The information there is generally good, but like you, I had problems answering questions can't think why but it was just not right in some way...

I think many have dropped or at least reduced use of SO primarily because of their "we know more" snooty attitude.
It seems their strategy is to **piss off people asking questions. I refer to/read their threads when they show up in Google search results, but am not a regular poster.

**to leave or go away; used especially as a rude way of telling someone to go away
(Cambridge Dictionary)

Last edited by a moderator:
I found this video helpful, informative and full of new ideas which I want to try out.

A discussion between Professor Andrew Perkins and Dr know it all (Professor John Gibbs) I watch all of John's videos on YouTube.

In this video the pair discuss the effect of ChatGPT on education, how students will use it, how professors will use it, what effect it will have on the teaching industry. Well worth a listen to!

Will ChatGPT DESTROY EDUCATION or SAVE IT?! With Professor Andrew Perkins​

Extract from the video description:-

4,169 views 11 Aug 2023
Whether you're teacher, a student, or a parent of a student you NEED TO KNOW how ChatGPT will change your life, starting this fall! Join two university professors as we discuss Elon Musk's plans to disrupt education, how OpenAI's ChatGPT and other Large Language Models (LLMs) are changing the nature of university, high school and even middle school education right now, and the best ways to use this new technology rather than to try to deny it. Just like the advent of calculators and computers in the past, university professors, high school teachers, students and parents of students need to learn how to use these amazing and disruptive new tools!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom