Limited posts in Access DB forum (1 Viewer)

Sarre

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 17:32
Hi there!

I`ve been using Access DB for a forum for about two years now, but from time to time I have to download the db and delete about a 1000 posts (+/-).

The reason for this is that the db want accept more posts unless I do so.

My question is how do I "extend" the db to accept more posts?

Thx in advance,
Sarre

boblarson

Smeghead
Local time
Today, 08:32
Have you tried using the Compact and Repair utility (Tools > Database Tools > Compact and Repair) on maybe a weekly basis?

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 10:32
First question: What is the file size of the .MDB file.

If it is in the neighborhood of 2 Gb, then Bob's suggestion is the first place to look.

If that doesn't help, the next thing to do is to look at your tables.

If there is a way to split your tables into two disparate sub-groups, you can create a new, empty DB file and move / migrate some tables to the new file. Then go back in and link the tables to the new file rather than the current one. Then (once you have verified that the links are good) delete the copy of that table from the local database file.

If this doesn't seem to do you any good either and you end up with tables that are still bumping the 2GB size limit, look into migrating the DB to use some other product like SQL Server as a back-end, retaining Access for the queries, forms, reports, etc.

But Bob's suggestion is #1 on the hit parade today!

Sarre

Registered User.
Local time
Thanks for replying!

The Db seems to be at around 1-2 Mb at all time, so I have a long way to go before it reaches 2Gb. It's a fairly small Db with a high number of posts.

I will try the Compact and Repair Utility first and some day in the future hopefully go over to SQL. Been wanting to do that for some time now, just have to find time to sit down and start learning..

Again, appreciate your respons! :)

Regards,
Sarre

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 10:32
A 2 Mb DB shouldn't have this problem unless it is out of resources or locks itself some kind of way.

You say "download the database" to do maintenance on it. So... on the machine where it resides, can you ask the machine's administrator to please check the Application event log for events at or just after the last known good transaction before it goes belly up? Also, Syste event log. I'm betting against there being a Security event log, but that is the third place to look.

Sarre

Registered User.
Local time
That is one option that I didn't think of.
Don't remember the presis time for the last "freeze" so I'll have to wait up until it holds again.

Thanks for the tip Doc!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom