Shark High

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
Today, 05:18
I wonder how many drug addicts it has eaten!.

Next year's "Shark Week" on the Discovery Channel will be accompanied by a new generation of Sharknado movies - where the sharks don't need to be picked up by a storm to get high. And there may be a few re-runs of Cocaine Bear just for good measure.

Drugs ending up in water supplies is terrifyingly real. People just toss unwanted or outdated drugs into the garbage or if they are dangerous, flush them down the toilet either directly or as body waste. Rather than harping on the "climate change" crisis which may or may not be directly caused by humans, we know with ABSOLUTE CERTAINTY that humans are the proximate cause of this problem and therefore, HUMANS should be working on how to stop the contamination. We are already seeing more early puberty and breast development in young girls and boys caused by antibiotics and growth hormones fed to our food stock animals.

I'm thinking more the cartels that float naughty bundles hither and yon.

We are already seeing more early puberty and breast development in young girls and boys caused by antibiotics and growth hormones fed to our food stock animals
men's testosterone is at a big low, too. I'm more concerned about that than I am climate change. eventually we will get to where we can't function, global warming/cooling or no

Adam, there were times on this very forum some years ago when you were under a different name when you weren't overly functional, just garishly decorative. You HAVE improved somewhat.

men's testosterone is at a big low, too. I'm more concerned about that than I am climate change. eventually we will get to where we can't function, global warming/cooling or no
It will be ok. The Robots are coming; and with them, the Matrix.

You would be if you lived in hurricane ally.

Like me? I've been through maybe about 30 hurricanes in the last 76 years, including Betsy, Camille, Katrina, Gustav, Ida, and a bunch more than that. I'm not worried about climate change because I don't believe it is anthropocentric to any significant degree. I believe it to be a natural long-term weather cycle issue. The Zen approach first asks "What is this thing?" (A hurricane!) THEN Zen asks "What can I do about it?" To which the answer is "nothing of any consequence." And at that part, I'm done.

With regard to pollution, however, there are things we CAN do about it and there, I'm a bit more of an activist.

Like me? I've been through maybe about 30 hurricanes in the last 76 years, including Betsy, Camille, Katrina, Gustav, Ida, and a bunch more than that. I'm not worried about climate change because I don't believe it is anthropocentric to any significant degree. I believe it to be a natural long-term weather cycle issue. The Zen approach first asks "What is this thing?" (A hurricane!) THEN Zen asks "What can I do about it?" To which the answer is "nothing of any consequence." And at that part, I'm done.

With regard to pollution, however, there are things we CAN do about it and there, I'm a bit more of an activist.
That seems like a balanced viewpoint that's very close to mine.
I still want to common sense take care of the earth and there are probably things we can do better.

Everything you say on here is based on beliefs.

So are the anthropocentric causes for climate change. Remember, you are talking to a PhD Chemist here. Everybody talks about CO2 and the greenhouse effect - but nobody talks about methane. But the methane energy absorption spectrum overlaps the CO2 spectrum. And methane is the far greater pollutant (more sources). Methane IS a greenhouse gas but everyone says we have to curtail CO2. Of course, if we reduce CO2 we interfere with the Carbon cycle in plants - which means we would reduce the food supply on Earth. Yeah, that sounds right... if everyone starves to death because we screwed with the Carbon cycle, we reduce the Earth's population and its energy hunger drops. OK, NOW I see the conspiracy here. You want to kill everyone off so we don't use so much energy so we don't create more CO2 as a side effect of LIFE. This viewpoint makes as much sense as a lot of the other bull-snot that I've seen. But... it's just a belief.

Are you aware that Dr. Mann, he who first showed us the infamous "hockey stick" graph, has LOST HIS DATA? He cannot find the data he used to generate that graph. Without it, he cannot recreate the study. Possibly one of the most important graphs in human survival (if it were true) and he lost his data? This leads to speculation that it couldn't stand up to closer scrutiny. It also speaks to the (in)competence of a researcher who loses significant data. It is beyond my understanding how ANY researcher who takes his work seriously would not have backup copies of everything he did. It is beyond my understanding how such vital data could be treated so callously. But if there were flaws that could be revealed on further scrutiny, then it makes sense.

Genius insight there Sherlock. We all have beliefs—what a revelation. Instead of parroting clichés, why not address the actual points made? It might take some thought, but it would make your comment a lot more useful.

Every study is just an exercise in waiting for the next one to contradict it.

Correct, Uncle G, but water vapor - unlike methane and CO2 - is not manufactured by some industrial process. Which means the wonks who want to control what we do can't do anything about water vapor. And the warmer we get, the more water vapor there is in the air. We COULD hope that enough water vapor gets in the air to raise Earth's albedo significantly and reflect some of the sunlight away.

Genius insight there Sherlock. We all have beliefs—what a revelation. Instead of parroting clichés, why not address the actual points made? It might take some thought, but it would make your comment a lot more useful.
You think anything that I have to say is going to change your perspective on the human effects on atmospheric C02 levels? More to the point. Do I think anything I have to say on Global Warming will have any effect of someone's beliefs?

It doesn't take a genius to know that beliefs rarely are changed by facts. I did have the GPT print this up, just in case.

The thing is, most climate change deniers have been convinced by the propaganda that this is a geological situation. The reality is, that this is a biological situation. During the Carboniferous period, the world as we know it came to exist.

So, some biological activity in the oceans freed up oxygen, and some biological activities on the land captured carbon. This carbon collected in pools. We drilled holes in the pools, and in a hundred and 20 years or so, we mosquitoes out of those holes more than a trillion barrels. So what took millions of years to capture, we released in a hundred years.

My genius, as you pointed out, was to know ahead of time that having this discussion is futile. You know, because of beliefs and all.

I've known about this for some time now, if you have known it, and chosen to ignore it, tell me why. It's pretty compelling.

THE GPT CHAT
User

which has had the greatest effect on atmospheric C02 levels since life emerged, geological or biological

Both geological and biological processes have had significant impacts on atmospheric CO2 levels since life emerged on Earth. However, their influences differ in nature and scale.

Geological Processes​

1. Volcanism: Volcanic eruptions release significant amounts of CO2 into the atmosphere. Over geological timescales, this has contributed substantial amounts of CO2.
  2. Weathering of Rocks: The weathering of silicate rocks on Earth's surface removes CO2 from the atmosphere. This process converts CO2 into bicarbonate ions, which are transported to the oceans and eventually form carbonate rocks.
  3. Plate Tectonics: The movement of tectonic plates can expose carbon-rich rocks to the atmosphere, leading to the release or sequestration of CO2 depending on the geological activity.

Biological Processes​

1. Photosynthesis: Photosynthetic organisms, including plants and algae, remove CO2 from the atmosphere and convert it into organic matter. This has been a major factor in reducing atmospheric CO2 levels over geological timescales.
  2. Respiration and Decomposition: The respiration of organisms and the decomposition of organic matter return CO2 to the atmosphere.
  3. Formation of Fossil Fuels: Over millions of years, some of the organic matter has been buried and converted into fossil fuels (coal, oil, natural gas), effectively sequestering carbon and reducing atmospheric CO2.
  4. Oceanic Processes: Marine organisms, such as phytoplankton, also play a significant role in CO2 absorption and carbon sequestration in ocean sediments.

Greatest Effect​

The greatest effect on atmospheric CO2 levels over the entire history of life on Earth is generally attributed to biological processes, particularly photosynthesis and the formation of fossil fuels. These processes have resulted in a long-term reduction of CO2 levels, enabling the evolution and diversification of complex life forms by moderating Earth's climate.

Geological processes, while also crucial, typically have a more cyclical influence on CO2 levels, balancing out over longer timescales through mechanisms like volcanic activity and weathering.

In summary, biological processes have had the greatest long-term effect on atmospheric CO2 levels by substantially reducing them over billions of years, while geological processes have played a significant but more balanced role in this dynamic.

4o

what single event changed the atmosphere the most

The single event that changed Earth's atmosphere the most is widely considered to be the Great Oxidation Event (GOE), also known as the Oxygen Catastrophe or Oxygen Revolution, which occurred around 2.4 to 2.0 billion years ago.

Great Oxidation Event (GOE)​

• Trigger: The emergence and proliferation of cyanobacteria, which are capable of photosynthesis and produce oxygen as a byproduct.
  • Impact: Cyanobacteria began to produce significant amounts of oxygen through photosynthesis, releasing it into the atmosphere.
  • Consequences:
    • Atmospheric Composition: Prior to the GOE, Earth's atmosphere was largely anoxic (lacking oxygen). The introduction of oxygen fundamentally altered the atmospheric composition.
    • Formation of the Ozone Layer: Increased oxygen levels led to the formation of the ozone layer (O3) in the stratosphere, which provided a protective shield against harmful ultraviolet (UV) radiation.
    • Biological Impact: The rise in atmospheric oxygen levels was toxic to many anaerobic organisms (organisms that do not require oxygen for growth and may even be poisoned by it), leading to mass extinctions. However, it also paved the way for the evolution of aerobic (oxygen-using) life forms, which are more energy-efficient.
    • Climate Change: The GOE likely contributed to significant climatic changes, including glaciations (e.g., the Huronian glaciation), due to the interactions between oxygen and greenhouse gases like methane.

Long-Term Effects​

The Great Oxidation Event set the stage for the evolution of complex, multicellular life by transforming the atmospheric and oceanic chemistry, making it one of the most transformative events in Earth's history. The increase in atmospheric oxygen allowed for the development of more complex metabolic pathways and ultimately led to the diversification of life forms, including the eventual emergence of animals and plants.

In summary, the Great Oxidation Event was the single most significant event that dramatically changed Earth's atmosphere, leading to a profound and lasting impact on the planet's climate, chemistry, and biological evolution.

4o

which event reduced the c02 the most

The event that likely reduced atmospheric CO2 the most over geological time scales is the development and proliferation of terrestrial plants, particularly during the Carboniferous Period (approximately 359 to 299 million years ago).

Development and Proliferation of Terrestrial Plants​

• Carboniferous Period: This period is characterized by the widespread growth of vast forests in swampy regions. The lush vegetation, particularly the extensive forests of lycophytes, ferns, and early gymnosperms, played a critical role in reducing atmospheric CO2 levels.
  • Photosynthesis: Plants absorb CO2 from the atmosphere during photosynthesis to produce organic matter. The massive increase in plant biomass during the Carboniferous period significantly reduced atmospheric CO2 levels.
  • Formation of Coal Deposits: The dead plant material accumulated in waterlogged environments, preventing it from decomposing completely. Over time, this organic material was buried and subjected to geological processes, forming extensive coal deposits. This process sequestered large amounts of carbon in the form of coal, effectively removing it from the atmosphere.

Consequences​

• Reduction in CO2 Levels: The increased photosynthetic activity and subsequent burial of plant material led to a dramatic reduction in atmospheric CO2 levels. Estimates suggest that CO2 concentrations dropped to near-modern levels by the end of the Carboniferous period.
  • Climate Impact: The reduction in CO2 levels contributed to a global cooling effect, which led to glaciations and the formation of extensive ice sheets, particularly in the southern hemisphere.
  • Evolution of Life: The decline in CO2 and the increase in oxygen levels created a more hospitable environment for the evolution of complex terrestrial ecosystems, including the diversification of amphibians, insects, and early reptiles.

Summary​

The proliferation of terrestrial plants during the Carboniferous period had the most significant impact on reducing atmospheric CO2 levels. This event led to the long-term sequestration of carbon in coal deposits and contributed to significant climatic and ecological changes that shaped the evolution of life on Earth.

Last edited:
AI has been trained on biased literature. Didn't you know that? We have found cases on this very forum where an AI such as ChatGPT can't even write usable VBA code. Fleeing to AI as an authority is a guarantee that you don't know what you are doing. (I'm serious.)

AI has been trained on biased literature. Didn't you know that? We have found cases on this very forum where an AI such as ChatGPT can't even write usable VBA code. Fleeing to AI as an authority is a guarantee that you don't know what you are doing. (I'm serious.)
I didn't ask it we were responcible for globel warming. I asked it to write something I already knew the answer too. I have had great success having it write vba code.
Your belief system is enterifering with your ability to do research, and apply logic. We have known for decades about the carbon capture by plants and the oxygen released by the ocean life.
Stick with beliefs over facts Doc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom