Shootings in US schools (1 Viewer)

dan-cat

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 08:43
Rich said:
You know you remind me of that kid in class who's only ever going to get d's and f's and therefore decides to disrupt the whole class instead of paying attention and listening.

You remind me of a teacher I once had. He gave me a 'B' for one assignment in English with the remark: "What happened to you, tripped and smacked your head or something?" :p

R

Rich

ColinEssex said:
No, you're confusing the issue here with the idea that if you tie a yellow ribbon round a tree in America, then its a sort of communal welcome without the bother of actually speaking to the arriving person - thus you can continue to watch TV and eat burgers without interruption of welcoming someone you probobly hate anyway.

Col
Don't they hang up a banner with "mission accomplished" at the same time:confused:

dan-cat

Registered User.
Local time
Rich said:
The problems in NI revolve around religion, always have and probably will for as long as people follow that "good book":rolleyes:

And now on top of that you have more British citizens killing other British citizens for a different religion. I have to tell you, [and this isn't meant as a pointscore], from an outsiders perspective, it doesn't look very unified at all.

Brianwarnock

Retired
Local time
Rich said:
The problems in NI revolve around religion, always have and probably will for as long as people follow that "good book":rolleyes:

That's simply because the Irish were Catholics when the Protestant King Henry VIII declared himself king of ireland in 1524, all of the Irish problems stem from this, the protestant Irish, including my forefathers settled on Irish land either from England, or in my people case Scotland, thus it is arguable that the religious element merely mirrors the nationality or ethnicity. It should be remembered that one man's terrorist is anothers freedom fighter, not that I would condone many if any of the IRA actions and would certainly condemn the hypocritical American supporters of the IRA.

Brian

dan-cat

Registered User.
Local time
ColinEssex said:
No, you're confusing the issue here with the idea that if you tie a yellow ribbon round a tree in America, then its a sort of communal welcome without the bother of actually speaking to the arriving person - thus you can continue to watch TV and eat burgers without interruption of welcoming someone you probobly hate anyway.

Talk about souring a perfectly good joke :rolleyes:

dan-cat

Registered User.
Local time
Brianwarnock said:
and would certainly condemn the hypocritical American supporters of the IRA.

Brian

I have to say there isn't much defence against this comment.

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
dan-cat said:
Talk about souring a perfectly good joke :rolleyes:
I merely explained the American weird yellow ribbon tradition. Whats your problem

It couldn't be a jacket (of any colour) - it would have to be a large jacket to go round a tree.

Anyway, why would a jacket sting?:confused:

Col

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
dan-cat said:
I have to tell you, [and this isn't meant as a pointscore], from an outsiders perspective, it doesn't look very unified at all.
you should know, you have enough wierd factions in the USA.

Col

R

Rich

Brianwarnock said:
That's simply because the Irish were Catholics when the Protestant King Henry VIII declared himself king of ireland in 1524, all of the Irish problems stem from this, the protestant Irish, including my forefathers settled on Irish land either from England, or in my people case Scotland, thus it is arguable that the religious element merely mirrors the nationality or ethnicity. It should be remembered that one man's terrorist is anothers freedom fighter, not that I would condone many if any of the IRA actions and would certainly condemn the hypocritical American supporters of the IRA.

Brian
But weren't the problems further exacerbated by Spanish catholics during Lizzy's reign?

Brianwarnock

Retired
Local time
Rich said:
But weren't the problems further exacerbated by Spanish catholics during Lizzy's reign?
It is true that the thought that the Spanish might seek help and bases in Ireland caused both Tudor queens to expedite the English take over of Ireland.
The Scots were already there in the North and the English took their enclave from them.

Brian

dan-cat

Registered User.
Local time
ColinEssex said:
you should know, you have enough wierd factions in the USA.

Col

I have to admit that I don't. I'm left totally confused that people born and bred in the United Kingdom are thinking that they hate the country they live in to such an extent that they would kill their fellow citizens.

EDIT: Is this a unique scenario? Has it ever happened before. I can't think of where it has.

R

Rich

Brianwarnock said:
It is true that the thought that the Spanish might seek help and bases in Ireland caused both Tudor queens to expedite the English take over of Ireland.
The Scots were already there in the North and the English took their enclave from them.

Brian
The Scots then presumably returned to Glasgow:D

R

Rich

dan-cat said:
I have to admit that I don't. I'm left totally confused that people born and bred in the United Kingdom are thinking that they hate the country they live in to such an extent that they would kill their fellow citizens.
I've already told you, Religion:mad:

EDIT: Is this a unique scenario? Has it ever happened before. I can't think of where it has
Well Spain for starters, don't you guys ever get international news?

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
dan-cat said:
Danielle - what part of Brians answer did you not understand?

Its the usual war recipe, religion and territory, just like Israel and Palestine. The USA supplied arms to the Irish just as its supplying arms to the Israelies and supplied arms to the Taliban.

(you did know you are fighting a war in Afghanistan?)

Col

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
Rich said:
That refers to news beyond the US borders so is of no interest to Americans

Col

dan-cat

Registered User.
Local time
Rich said:

No you misunderstand me. The ETA fights for Basque territory to be seperated from Spain. There is history of ethnicity, religion etc behind this. Just like in Ireland.

But look at the UK and there is NO such history in muslim context. Where are the claims that parts of the UK should be freed and returned back to muslim control? There are none. Don't you see the difference?

dan-cat

Registered User.
Local time
I'd like to make a polite request.

The questions I'm asking are genuine. So could you hold fire on the allusions to American ignorance? Thanks :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom