The memorable car you had (1 Viewer)

Ron_dK

Cool bop aficionado
Local time
Today, 07:53
There is a further complication but I won't go into that unless you really want me to confuse you.

I'm not easily confused. Give me the whole story :D

I heard that it's possible to "buy" or select a liscence plate in the UK to your own requirements, like the example I gave in one of these posts :
MAG1C on a UK Ferrari. How do you get these "special" plates ?

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
Today, 06:53

I heard that it's possible to "buy" or select a liscence plate in the UK to your own requirements, like the example I gave in one of these posts :

The UK car registration starts its year on the 1st March, any new car registered between the 1st March and the 31st August will have a plate with the numbers 07 (zero and the year) any new car registered from 1st September to 28th Feb (or 29th) will have a plate with the numbers 57 (a five and the year)

So my car, being a 52 plate will have been registered between 01/09/02 and 28/02/03

You can buy plates in the 'old' style that spell out names. The plate has to be for sale and you can't think of a name and have a plate done. There are companies that sell registration plates. You can't have rude ones. The more accurate the plate the more it costs - e.g. If for sale, I could buy the plate COL 1N which when bunched up will spell my name. Sadly it would cost around £100,000:eek:

Col

Fifty2One

Legend in my own mind
Local time
Yesterday, 22:53
reading other posts brings my pinto back to current memory... underpowered automatic hatchback with an am radio that just wouldnt die... :eek:
..similarly my renault encore - best $200 i ever spent: drove it for a year then sold it to my neighbour murray for $500 (he offered me the five) to use as his restaurant delivery car, lasted him a year even though the kids driving it drove the heck out of it...:rolleyes:
o we also had a old honda wagon that wouldnt die... funny i never think of that car much and i see it every weekend when i go to ste anne on saturdays to pick up a newspaper because frank has it as a chicken coop behind his barn.:eek:

Brianwarnock

Retired
Local time

The best number plate I ever saw belonged to an attractive mature blond back in the early1970's, it was BRA 38 and the fact that it was on a Triumph Stag just added to it.

Brian

MrsGorilla

Rat Race Participant
Local time
Today, 00:53
My first car was a 1980 Pontiac Sunbird:

Although mine was navy blue in color with tan interior and wasn't quite so sporty looking as the one in this picture, with regular hubcaps and cheapo tires. It was a good first car though, standard transmission and in good shape until someone rear-ended me and totaled it less than a year after I started driving it. :(

hooks

Registered User.
Local time
I loved my 1972 Monte Carlo. It got a whopping 10 miles to the gallon. It had a 1 ton Ford truck Rear End and a Muncie 4 speed transmission. We (My father mainly) had to remove a few inches from the drive shaft and cut down the axels for everything to fit.

It also had a 350 chevy, Power windows that actually worked, power door locks, A/C. Pretty cool for a 1972. I was wanting to put a hemi or a 454 in it but never got around to it. I blew up the motor about 13 years ago and sold the car for $500.00.

http://www.hooks-web.com/1972MonteCarlo.jpg

Friday

Registered User.
Local time
My first car was a blue 1957 Bel Air 4dr Sedan. It was pretty beat up, the previous owner used it for coyote hunting. I drove it for about a year and found a better one, yellow and white, missing the engine. Pulled the engine out of the first one and put in the new one. That was my most memorable car.

At one time, you could see 5 fabulous cars sitting in my parents driveway: 1954 chevy 2dr, 1955 2dr wagon (not a Nomad), 1957 Bel Air (coppertone), 1957 Bel Air (yellow), and a 1961 chevy bubbletop.

Attachments

• 57-BA-2DoorSedan.gif
    57-BA-2DoorSedan.gif
    37.5 KB · Views: 193
  • 57chev.jpg
    57chev.jpg
    27.6 KB · Views: 203

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
Didn't the country singer Billy-Jo Spears sing about a '57 Chevrolet?

Note she has a double barrelled forename for those Yanks who said they'd never come across one:rolleyes:

Col

MrsGorilla

Rat Race Participant
Local time
My first car was a blue 1957 Bel Air 4dr Sedan. It was pretty beat up, the previous owner used it for coyote hunting. I drove it for about a year and found a better one, yellow and white, missing the engine. Pulled the engine out of the first one and put in the new one. That was my most memorable car.

At one time, you could see 5 fabulous cars sitting in my parents driveway: 1954 chevy 2dr, 1955 2dr wagon (not a Nomad), 1957 Bel Air (coppertone), 1957 Bel Air (yellow), and a 1961 chevy bubbletop.

My Grandmother used to have a '57 Chevy almost identical to the one in your first picture. When she died she left it to my cousin who immediately sold it. We were all horrified since it was such a beautiful car, this was the early '80s and it had lowish mileage since she didn't drive it much and it stayed in the garage all the time. It was immaculate. But oh well, I guess it was his to do with what he wanted and he was trying to pay for his college. :(

Friday

Registered User.
Local time
My Grandmother used to have a '57 Chevy almost identical to the one in your first picture. When she died she left it to my cousin who immediately sold it. We were all horrified since it was such a beautiful car, this was the early '80s and it had lowish mileage since she didn't drive it much and it stayed in the garage all the time. It was immaculate. But oh well, I guess it was his to do with what he wanted and he was trying to pay for his college. :(

Cindy:

I sold my '57 when I was in college for $150. Only thing wrong with it was a bad starter. :( The things you do when you are poor !!!

Fifty2One

Legend in my own mind
Local time
sad sad sad... selling a so called collectible way below its current worth...

i sold my 1st car (1969 chevelle 454 4 speed) to a neighbour for $25 when gaz hit 65 cents a gallon cause it was too expensive to run...:eek:

a friend of ours sold his brough superior for $2000 in 1974 to the R&T editor who drove it from montreal to chicago - then freighted it to california via train because the american roads were not really in mind when the car was built... it just resold with a siezed engine on ebay for $44000...:eek:

pbaldy

Wino Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Note she has a double barrelled forename for those Yanks who said they'd never come across one:rolleyes:

If you were less bone-headed, you'd have realized that my point was not that they didn't exist, but that your use of "most" was wrong. According to a government site, none of the top 10 names are double barreled.

http://www.ssa.gov/OACT/babynames/

MrsGorilla

Rat Race Participant
Local time
Cindy:

I sold my '57 when I was in college for $150. Only thing wrong with it was a bad starter. :( The things you do when you are poor !!!

I know, it's terrible. I still think about that car sometimes. I remember riding around town in it when I was little. :(

MrsGorilla

Rat Race Participant
Local time
True, and I have him on my ignore list, but someone PM'd me about this one and said I should reply.

What makes this comment any different than any of the others? :D

dan-cat

Registered User.
Local time
I watched "Cars" for the first time last night. One of the characters kind of reminded me of Col :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom