Useless Facts

MrsGorilla said:
Would you rather be outside?

Yes, certainly. I love those high temperatures, since we do not have that many here in Holland. And while this sort of heatwave is ongoing I should be
somewhere close to a huge swimming pool with a good cold glass of champagne rather than sitting in an office where the AC hardly works. :(

ShaneMan said:
I'm from Oklahoma originally, and I always tell people we only have 3 seasons here. Summer, winter and August.

I was waiting for FOFA to tell us what the temp hi/lows might be in Texas, but since you're in Texas as well , you might give us an insight ?

rak said:
Yes, certainly. I love those high temperatures, since we do not have that many here in Holland. And while this sort of heatwave is ongoing I should be
somewhere close to a huge swimming pool with a good cold glass of champagne rather than sitting in an office where the AC hardly works. :(

I was waiting for FOFA to tell us what the temp hi/lows might be in Texas, but since you're in Texas as well , you might give us an insight ?

Hey rak,

I'm in the Dallas/Ft. Worth metroplex and the day before yesterday it was 107 F and yesterday it was 106 F. This is also mixed with humidity so the heat index was over 110 degrees. We are however suppose to have a cool front coming it and the temps are suppose to drop to 102 to 104.:D

While we're on the weather here, when we drove cross country a few years ago, I was driving through Las Vegas in the middle of August, and the temperature was registering at 118 F. But it was a dry heat........;)

Lisa

lmnop7854 said:
While we're on the weather here, when we drove cross country a few years ago, I was driving through Las Vegas in the middle of August, and the temperature was registering at 118 F. But it was a dry heat........;)

Lisa

I had heard about dry heat most of my life and experienced it, for myself, a few years back in Phoenix. We played golf when it was 116. Being raised in the southwest all my life I believe there is something to the dry heat thing. The sun was hot in Phoenix and doing something like, opening a car door and touching the metal, would set you free, but it did have a much different feel to it, than when you mix humidity in. When the temps here get as high as they are now. and you mix that humidity in, you have a hard time even breathing. You can feel heat going into your lungs. I really feel for the folks who make their living outdoors.

ShaneMan said:
I'm from Oklahoma originally, and I always tell people we only have 3 seasons here. Summer, winter and August.
on that note: New England also has three seasons:fall, winter, and July 4th. (and as Mark Twain put it, "If you don't like the weather in New England, just wait a minute."):eek:

lmnop7854 said:
But it was a dry heat
I've been to Pheonix as well, but from my point of view it's the difference between being broiled or roasted...hot is hot. :(

Last edited:
ShaneMan said:
I had heard about dry heat most of my life and experienced it, for myself, a few years back in Phoenix. We played golf when it was 116. Being raised in the southwest all my life I believe there is something to the dry heat thing. The sun was hot in Phoenix and doing something like, opening a car door and touching the metal, would set you free, but it did have a much different feel to it, than when you mix humidity in. When the temps here get as high as they are now. and you mix that humidity in, you have a hard time even breathing. You can feel heat going into your lungs. I really feel for the folks who make their living outdoors.

You are correct - in fact, we stopped at a gas station during that drive, and when I stepped out of the car, it was hot, but certainly dealable. The mistake I made was touching a black part of the car. Holy crap!!

I live in a high humidity area. Doesn't get into the hundreds, but definitely into the 90s, especially this week. If you don't have air conditioning, which I don't, you just sit around and sweat all night...

Lisa

rak said:
And while this sort of heatwave is ongoing I should be
somewhere close to a huge swimming pool with a good cold glass of champagne

007 I presume ...:p

lmnop7854 said:
You are correct - in fact, we stopped at a gas station during that drive, and when I stepped out of the car, it was hot, but certainly dealable. The mistake I made was touching a black part of the car. Holy crap!!

Thanks for the laugh, Lisa. I cracked up on this one.

lmnop7854 said:
I live in a high humidity area. Doesn't get into the hundreds, but definitely into the 90s, especially this week. If you don't have air conditioning, which I don't, you just sit around and sweat all night...

Lisa

I don't know how you do it. I would not be able to sleep. I can not sleep if it's hot in the house. Now I feel for you too!

Bodisathva said:
I've been to Pheonix as well, but from my point of view it's the difference between being broiled or roasted...hot is hot. :(

I love the way this one is put. I'll have to add that one to my collection of one liners.:)

lmnop7854 said:

Lisa

I thought you were close to the Lake Ontario. Wouldn't it help to take a dive every now and then to cool off ?;)

rak said:
I thought you were close to the Lake Ontario. Wouldn't it help to take a dive every now and then to cool off ?;)

Yikes!! And come out all radioactive? No way, man!! :eek: :eek:

My mom and dad used to have a pool, and then they moved. Back in the days when there was a pool available, it was really great to go take a dip, but then you have to go home. 5 minutes in a non-air-conditioned house, and you may as well not even have gone.....:rolleyes:

Now that we have the baby, we plan to get a kiddie pool (within the next week!!) that all of us can fit in. That should be good enough.

Lisa

MrsGorilla said:
I guess that's my useless fact. July and August are the worst months to live in Oklahoma.

Did they fix your town up yet after the storm ?

Speaking of temperatures, New Orleans frequently goes through our 95/95 period. Which we are in right now, since the start of July. We have 95 degrees F, 95% humidity. You could stand outside in a blinkin' hurricane force wind at those conditions (add 95 mph winds, if you like) and STILL get very little effective cooling because of the high humidity.

The only good feature of this temperature range is that since alligators don't perspire, they like to stay in the water when it gets that hot. Makes the streets a little safer. Particularly now post-Katrina when you really DO wonder whether any little gators got lost and are still in some of the affected areas. The heat keeps the gators IN the water and makes the nutria think twice before getting out of the water to avoid the gators. For us, that's a GOOD thing.

But then, I remember being in San Antonio on a business trip one summer, right in front of the Alamo at the time. The DJ on the radio said something that told me a lot about the Texas mentality: "Well, fans, it's 107 here in downtown San Antonio, but not to worry! With the wind chill it is only 102."

Not to brag. Thanks to the "Canadian Air" it is a nice 78 degrees, well it's not going to last we'll be back in the 90's next week :mad:

Thanks Canada keep blowing

Rich said:
Did they fix your town up yet after the storm ?

Mostly. :)

There are still some buildings that are in the process of getting their roofs replaced, people still replacing their fences and other things damaged by fallen trees, etc. We were without power for about a day and a half. Fortunately it wasn't too steamy yet, and we were able to go and spend the night with my m-i-l to avoid the worst of it.

Of course, our amusement park (which isn't very big) had a tree uprooted across the tracks of the wooden roller coaster, and they were closed for 3 weeks during their peak season while they cleaned everything up and had all of the rides inspected. They also lost the Ferris Wheel which was the 26th one ever built back in 1924. It was pretty much folded in half. :(

Attachments

• ferriswheel.jpg
    ferriswheel.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 194
ShaneMan said:

Boy, that's the truth. It's been running at about 65% humidity all week too. You feel like you're going to explode in a giant sweat ball the second you step out the door.

The whole wet heat/dry heat thing is a bit debatable for me. Yes, heat is worse when you have humidity mixed in, but as Bodisathva pointed out, hot is hot. :(

MrsGorilla said:
Boy, that's the truth. It's been running at about 65% humidity all week too. You feel like you're going to explode in a giant sweat ball the second you step out the door.

65%? Holy crap - that's a blessing! We've been getting up to 70-80% most days. God, it sucks. But this week seems to have broken it - temps in the eighties during the day, and down to the 60s at night.

Lisa

I will never complain about humidity again since visitting Japan. If you think it's humid where you live, you don't know anything!

Vassago said:
I will never complain about humidity again since visitting Japan. If you think it's humid where you live, you don't know anything!
Did it have to do with the close conditions and body heat or actual weather?
I mean... you can't compare newlywed humidity with normal humidity, can you?

:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom