Useless Facts

ColinEssex said:
I like the alphabet reason myself, that sounds logical to me.

Col

Ther's always going to be part of me that thinks there was no reason for it, beyond somebody somewhere wanting to start arguments ;) .

Ok. I just noticed the numbers on our microwave keypad were in tele style. Go figure!?!

When I worked for the phone company, the keypad on the CRT I would program the lines on with had the key pad as the telephone. I was VERY fast on that one ( i think it is called an inverted keypad) Anyways, when I went to another job for data entry, I had to reteach myself how to use a regular key pad. It was hades at first, but I am back up to speed again.

ColinEssex said:
Built in phone?

Col

Hummm...

Anyway, thanks to this thread, I'll end up making special notice of all keypads... Like there's not enough to contemplate...
:rolleyes:

One odd key worthy of note on your keyboard include the SysRq key (sometimes appearing as SysReq), which shares the same key as the “Print Screen” key. (Historical sidelight – SysRq was the “84th key” added when the 83-key PC/XT keyboard became the 84-key AT keyboard.) Unless programmed by a particular application, the SysRq key does nothing in most operating systems, including DOS, Windows, and OS/2. The SysRq key has different "hooks" into the system BIOS (basic input/output system, the interface between the software and the low-level functions of the computer) from the other keys on the keyboard. IBM evidently included this key to facilitate task switching in future operating systems – that is, to allow either switching from one task to another (as on a mainframe computer), or interrupting all tasks and returning control to the keyboard. Advanced MS-DOS Programming, second edition, Microsoft Press, states:

A multitasking program manager would be expected to capture INT 15H so that it can be notified when the user strikes the SysReq key.

In layman's terms that means, "You can make a multitasking program manager monitor a specific location in your computer's hardware so it can do something cool, such as letting the user switch tasks, when the SysReq key is pressed." As it turned out, the developers of Windows didn't use SysReq when implementing task switching. Some new keyboards no longer feature this key, and its days seem numbered.

[Kid friendly Industries]
In 1833, England passed a child protection law making it illegal for factory owners to force their nine year old emlpoyees to work longer than nine hours a day.

In 1842, England passed a law that prohibited coal companies from hiring miners under the age of ten. Prior to that kids as young as three worked inside the coal mines because they could crawl through passages too tight for older child miners.

They were forced to work as machine operators even though they were young children, orphans most of them. They had to sleep three in a bed on straw that was only changed once a month, wearing clothes that were washed only twice a month. For this, the kids said, "Thank you sir, may I have another?"
These working conditions were considered as good as they got back in the 1800s when Scottish textile manufacturer and social reformer Robert Owen instituted such kid friendly changes at his mill.
Owen was considered a hero by the orphans. If he hadn't put them to work in his factory, the kids faced an even bleaker life of crime, starvation, or drudgery in other industries not so enlightened.

FoFa said:
[Kid friendly Industries]
They were forced to work as machine operators even though they were young children,
The same is happening today in India and many far east countries.

Col

Useless:

The Hiatan police is the best in the world.
Yesterday they cought two thieves in one day.
That's an average of 39,4% of the total population and the highest arresting rate in the world.

When movie star Robert Taylor was under contract to MGM, he asked studio boss Louis B. Mayer for a raise.
Instead of giving him more money, Mayer said, "If God had given me a son, I would want him to be exactly like you. It hurts me deeply that you've asked for more money at a time like this."
When a friend asked Taylor if he'd gotten his raise, the actor said, "No, but I got a father."

More useless facts :

Danish biochemist Sören Sörensen introduced the concept of pH as a measure of acidity in 1909.

Leonardo da Vinci sketched out the basics of the mechanics of a continuously variable transmission in 1490, which allows power to be distributed between various rods and makes for fuel efficiency gains in cars.

rak said:
More useless facts :

Danish biochemist Sören Sörensen introduced the concept of pH as a measure of acidity in 1909.

Leonardo da Vinci sketched out the basics of the mechanics of a continuously variable transmission in 1490, which allows power to be distributed between various rods and makes for fuel efficiency gains in cars.

That's cool, I would have thought the PH thing was older than that.

Yes... these Danish.
They also "invented' Strædet mellem Amerika og Asien, known as the Bering street. Water between Russia ( Siberia) and Alaska.

By the way : Amsterdam is NOT the capitol of Denmark, as a lot of Americanas think. :rolleyes:

Executives in Amercan corporations were asked to complete a survey to test their pop culture awareness. Nearly half of them thought Fiona Apple was a new computer modle.
The same question was asked of sixth-grade students, and 90% of them knew she was a pop singer.

FoFa said:
Executives in Amercan corporations were asked to complete a survey to test their pop culture awareness. Nearly half of them thought Fiona Apple was a new computer modle.
The same question was asked of sixth-grade students, and 90% of them knew she was a pop singer.

Didn't have a clue myself.

rak said:
Yes... these Danish.
They also "invented' Strædet mellem Amerika og Asien, known as the Bering street. Water between Russia ( Siberia) and Alaska.

By the way : Amsterdam is NOT the capitol of Denmark, as a lot of Americanas think. :rolleyes:

What is?

By the way, Austin is the capital of Texas.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom