Useless Facts

rak said:
By the way : Amsterdam is NOT the capitol of Denmark, as a lot of Americanas think. :rolleyes:

I wouldn't worry about it, most of them don't know where Denmark or Holland is ;)

Rich said:
I wouldn't worry about it, most of them don't know where Denmark or Holland is ;)

East of Eden , I presume ? ;)

Writer and artist Gelett Burgess invented the Nonsense Machine, designed to do absolutely nothing but with 100% efficiency.

Sometimes I just don't get out of bed at all.

U F :

Ry Cooder's 'Bop till you drop' was the first digitally recorded album on earth.
At the same time, it was Cooder's first album working together with David Lindley.

FoFa said:
Writer and artist Gelett Burgess invented the Nonsense Machine, designed to do absolutely nothing but with 100% efficiency.

I used to work with a guy who could reproduce that manually.
Well, maybe to around 80% (allowing for 'sick' days).:D

Before he became a movie star, comic W.C. Fields toured the country in vaudeville. To make sure he didn't lose the money he made on the road, Fields opened small bank accounts in the towns he played.
Eventually he had 700 of these small accounts, but forgot where they were losing over $1 million (which was a hefty sum at that time) because he could not remember where he put it.

The most powerful diesel engine ever build is the Wartsila-Sulzer RTA96-C turbocharged two-stroke diesel engine. This engine , a 14 cylinder version, was designed primarily for very large container ships. The cylinder bore is just under 38" and the stroke is just over 98". This machine produces 108,920 Hp at 102 RPM and consumes some 1,660 gallons of heavy fuel oil per hour.

FoFa said:
Before he became a movie star, comic W.C. Fields toured the country in vaudeville. To make sure he didn't lose the money he made on the road, Fields opened small bank accounts in the towns he played.
Eventually he had 700 of these small accounts, but forgot where they were losing over $1 million (which was a hefty sum at that time) because he could not remember where he put it.
hiccup .

The country with the lowest birthrate in the world is Vatican City.

In the era between World War I and World War II, countries were awarded the Olympic Games, not cities. The same country hosted both the summer and winter Games.

Money Management
During the 1500's the Spanish conquistadors looted South America, stealing millions of dollars worth of gold from the Incas and shipping it back to Spain.

Despite one of the largest thefts in history, Spain was so badly managed by its king and ruling class that the country actually lost money on the deal. They spent so excessively, investing so foolishly, that Spain came out of this gold rush poorer than it went in.

During the 1930's the National Hockey League was looking for a new president. One of the candidates wish to make the following changes in order to make the game more popular in the US:
- to increase scoring reduce the size of the puck and paint it white
- instead of assessing a major penalty, the referee would take the player aside for a moment and try to reform him
- when a major or misconduct penalty was assessed with an automatic fine, the players would be encourage to carry cash in their uniforms so they could pay the fine on the spot.

Oddly enough, he didn't get the job

Paul:
Check out the winner of the gold medal in ice hockey at the 1936 winter olympics in Garmish.
There's quite a story behind that suprizing result.

The most surprising bit is that two were British!!!

Rich said:
In the 1970's, the Rhode Island Legislature in the US entertained a proposal that there be a $2 tax on every act of sexual intercourse in the State.

Where do I apply for the meter readers job?

Finland is NOT a Scandanavian country because the Finnish language is Slavic in origin instead of Germanic.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom