Waiting (1 Viewer)

jpl458

Local time
Today, 06:12
Waiting for news about the next bump stock massacre. Sadly it's going to happen. For the life of me, I do not understand why someone would need such a device. Wonder how much the conservative got from the gun lobby. Justice Thomas is an idiot.

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
Waiting for news about the next bump stock massacre. Sadly it's going to happen. For the life of me, I do not understand why someone would need such a device. Wonder how much the conservative got from the gun lobby. Justice Thomas is an idiot.

The role of the judges is to interpret the law and apply the facts to it, not opine on the goodness or badness of the thing. For all you know, every single US supreme Court Justice May despise the idea of bump stocks

AccessBlaster

Registered User.
Local time
"My retribution will be success." - President Donald J. Trump

Mike Krailo

Local time
Today, 09:12
I'm pretty sure bump stocks don't kill anyone. People kill people. When a home invasion happens to you, it doesn't matter what firearm you use, you are going to protect yourself and use lead as a deturant. At least we have that option in this country.

An 85 year old woman in Idaho was pistle whiped and robbed. She was cuffed to a chair and still was able to obtain her gun and shoot her attacker in the heart. The attacker shot her seven times and still survived. The attacker didn't make it. No bump stock needed. Job well done.

Cotswold

Local time
Today, 14:12
Had to look up what a bump stock was. We obviously live in different worlds.

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
Had to look up what a bump stock was. We obviously live in different worlds.
Not a phrase known in the UK. I had to check it out too. Initially I thought it was something to do with the stock market. But no, it's to do with stupid guns.
As an aside, in some states, its legal to carry a gun outside. So, is it allowed for someone to buy a machine gun type and walk down the street carrying it, loaded and ready to kill?
Col

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
I would find it rather bizarre going to my local Costa coffee shop with a pump action shotgun! In the UK, we take brollies and such stuff. Sometimes, people forget their umbrella and leave it behind. You don't want to do that with a shotgun!

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
I would find it rather bizarre going to my local Costa coffee shop with a pump action shotgun! In the UK, we take brollies and such stuff. Sometimes, people forget their umbrella and leave it behind. You don't want to do that with a shotgun!
But if its allowed to carry a gun as it is in parts of the USA, it would be normal to walk into McDonald's with a machine gun thing and think nothing of it. It seems strange to us but I guess it's just normal in America.
Col

jpl458

Local time

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 08:12
I will acknowledge that right now, USA "carry" laws are in flux. In some states, it IS legal to carry a weapon in a visible holster (which means it is NOT a "concealed carry" but instead is an "open carry.") Other states DO allow concealed weapons but restrict open-carry licenses. Despite the lurid headlines, folks do not usually walk into McDonald's with an open-carry weapon. Though these days, as expensive as it costs to eat at a California McDonald's franchise, you MIGHT need an open-carry bodyguard if you were planning to pay for the meal in cash. Regarding people who carry weapons, ... In the last roughly 30 years, in the state of Louisiana, I have met only one person who had an open-carry weapon but who was not a law enforcement officer or a licensed security guard.

Part of the issue to folks not in the USA is obscured. Non-USA citizens don't understand the legal furor that we are working through right now. The crux of the argument isn't about carrying a gun. It is about WHY one would be allowed to carry a gun. Many of the licensing laws are being challenged because police response times are in minutes - or HOURS - and if you are going to be shot and killed during a robbery, your perpetrator will be long gone before the cops ever arrive.

The cases that I'm seeing, for the most part, are brought by people who wish to exercise their right of self-defense, given the high crime rate in certain areas. Presumably, we all have the right of self-defense, private OR public. The news media, however, will tend to exaggerate EVERYTHING because, let's face it, that's how they sell newspapers and magazines and tabloids. So their sensationalist headlines make it look like we want everyone armed while going shopping or just walking down the street. The current bulk of USA media tend to be more liberal in their stance and thus are for disarmament. Therefore they will inflate everything they print and that makes it look like we are gun maniacs.

AccessBlaster

Registered User.
Local time
A "bump stock" can be simulated by manipulating the trigger with your index finger in a certain way. But don't tell the Dems, they will try and ban your index finger. 👈

Fun fact: Silencers are perfectly legal in AL, AR, AK, AZ, CO, CT, FL, GA, IA, ID, IN, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MI, MN, MO, MS, MT, ND, NE, NV, NH, NM, NC, OH, OK, OR, PA, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VA, WA, WI, WV and WY.
as long as you obtain a federal “tax stamp”

Mike Krailo

Local time
Today, 09:12
The current bulk of USA media tend to be more liberal in their stance and thus are for disarmament. Therefore they will inflate everything they print and that makes it look like we are gun maniacs.
Perfect example of how exaggerating the truth can damage us all as it relates to gun laws.

As an aside, in some states, its legal to carry a gun outside. So, is it allowed for someone to buy a machine gun type and walk down the street carrying it, loaded and ready to kill?
Col
Never seen that sort scenario in all my life, so no, that's not normal at all. It's very rare to see open carry where I live, but I think out in rural areas it could be more prevalent. The vast majority of us leave the guns at home and only use for protection against home invasion or for the sport of hunting or for fun in the case of skeet shooting.

Machine guns are illegal. While a bump stock does seem like a weird loophole in seeming to create the effect of automatic weapon, if you were to watch each of these types of weapons fired side by side you would see a huge difference in the amount of rounds fired in the same amount of time so no, a bump stock does not turn your weapon into a machine gun. It just resembles a semi-automatic that is fired quickly.

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
Thanks. I was really wondering if there was a level or limit to what type of gun you can carry. Being British I only know of two types, the six gun cowboy thing and a machine gun Al Capone used. So if you have a licence to carry (open or concealed) can it be any gun type thing?
Col

jpl458

Local time
I will acknowledge that right now, USA "carry" laws are in flux. In some states, it IS legal to carry a weapon in a visible holster (which means it is NOT a "concealed carry" but instead is an "open carry.") Other states DO allow concealed weapons but restrict open-carry licenses. Despite the lurid headlines, folks do not usually walk into McDonald's with an open-carry weapon. Though these days, as expensive as it costs to eat at a California McDonald's franchise, you MIGHT need an open-carry bodyguard if you were planning to pay for the meal in cash. Regarding people who carry weapons, ... In the last roughly 30 years, in the state of Louisiana, I have met only one person who had an open-carry weapon but who was not a law enforcement officer or a licensed security guard.

Part of the issue to folks not in the USA is obscured. Non-USA citizens don't understand the legal furor that we are working through right now. The crux of the argument isn't about carrying a gun. It is about WHY one would be allowed to carry a gun. Many of the licensing laws are being challenged because police response times are in minutes - or HOURS - and if you are going to be shot and killed during a robbery, your perpetrator will be long gone before the cops ever arrive.

The cases that I'm seeing, for the most part, are brought by people who wish to exercise their right of self-defense, given the high crime rate in certain areas. Presumably, we all have the right of self-defense, private OR public. The news media, however, will tend to exaggerate EVERYTHING because, let's face it, that's how they sell newspapers and magazines and tabloids. So their sensationalist headlines make it look like we want everyone armed while going shopping or just walking down the street. The current bulk of USA media tend to be more liberal in their stance and thus are for disarmament. Therefore they will inflate everything they print and that makes it look like we are gun maniacs.
I do not disagree with you for the most part. I wan't lecturing regarding all gun laws. I was writing about bump stocks. Like a Republican, I used to be a hunter, birds and deer; now I am not because of age. I see absolutly not need for the public to have any sort of weapon that can fire 400 to 800 rounds per minute. Those will invariably fall into the hands of the wrong people. The code needs to be changed to reflect the fire power, not the mechanics. I know a lot about guns, and an AR 15 with a bump stock fires at the rate of a machine gun, which are illegal. I used to have a lot of long guns, bolt and falling block. I fixed up a Savage 250/3000, and with a 64 power scope I was shooting quater sized groups at 200 meters. All those guns are gone, and all thats left is an antique 12 gauge shout gun, that was given to me by my father in law. Do you think bump stocks should be legal?

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
But if its allowed to carry a gun as it is in parts of the USA, it would be normal to walk into McDonald's with a machine gun thing and think nothing of it. It seems strange to us but I guess it's just normal in America.
Col
I've never seen someone with a machine gun in public, but others probably have

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
I'm pretty sure bump stocks don't kill anyone. People kill people. When a home invasion happens to you, it doesn't matter what firearm you use, you are going to protect yourself and use lead as a deturant. At least we have that option in this country.

An 85 year old woman in Idaho was pistle whiped and robbed. She was cuffed to a chair and still was able to obtain her gun and shoot her attacker in the heart. The attacker shot her seven times and still survived. The attacker didn't make it. No bump stock needed. Job well done.

Guns save plenty of lives every day.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 08:12
The licensing laws vary from state to state so some of them might actually enumerate what classes of weapon you may carry. However, you opened up two different laws with your question, Col. Most people do not have the kind of ownership license required for a fully automatic machine gun. Movie armorers might have such a license. Your carry permit might not mention what you may carry because a different law might apply to the weapon's storage requirements before you ever get around to carrying it.

jpl458

Local time
Guns save plenty of lives every day.
And how many are killed by guns? In 2021, the most recent year for which complete data is available, 48,830 people died from gun-related injuries in the U.S., according to the CDC. That is about the same number of deaths we suffered in Viet Nam.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom