Solved Import Access 2.0 database to Access 365

In principle that is correct. However, in practice, A2003 cannot open all Access 2.0 files unless you can get hold of the A2.0 Converter (AFAIK its no longer available on the MS Office web site)

1719141850721.png

To avoid issues, I normally do the conversion in several steps. For more complex databases such as the Access 2.0 Solutions database , you may need to do the following steps: 2.0 => 95 => 97 => 2003 => ACCDB

1719142818072.png

@isladogs Colin, do you happen to have the documentation file that goes with Solutions? I think converting the db to an .accdb might help newcomers. It has quite a few useful solutions. There are also a number of other useful samples. But the documentation stopped working quite a while ago when MS stopped supporting the tool that made the doc files.

... you may need to do the following steps: 2.0 => 95 => 97 => 2003 => ACCDB

???
From my experience using only Access 2003 it is possible to import structure and data from tables of an Access 2.0 format file
And to be sure, I gave it a try before posting and it seems to work fine
Yes, the message appears stating the need to install the Access 2.0 converter
But in reality it is not necessary to import the data indicated and present on github.com/epam/SciGlass

But in reality it is not necessary to import the data indicated and present on github.com/epam/SciGlass
Data is different from objects. Are you saying that you only imported the data?

Data is different from objects. Are you saying that you only imported the data?

Queries were also imported
And queries should be objects
To be honest, the only module present has not been imported, and requires loading the Access 2.0 converter
It remains to be understood whether it is sufficient for @emnow to have the data included in the tables or whether he wants all the material present within SELECT.MDB

@isladogs Colin, do you happen to have the documentation file that goes with Solutions? I think converting the db to an .accdb might help newcomers. It has quite a few useful solutions. There are also a number of other useful samples. But the documentation stopped working quite a while ago when MS stopped supporting the tool that made the doc files.
@Pat Hartman
Yes I also have the SOLUTION.HLP file which is the Show Me file in the screenshot below.
However, I can't open it in Windows 10 and no longer have the old utility to read those help files

1719160705456.png

Its included in the zip file along with SOLUTION.MDB in Access 2.0 format

@amorosik
I forwarded the 2 converted SciGlass databases (SELECT & PROPERTY) as ACCDB files to the OP last November.
Both of them consisted only of tables, queries & a module and were relatively straightforward to convert (including the modules)

The alternative approach that you used of importing all objects to another database is of course equally valid (though you couldn't import the modules)

Like you, I have successfully converted several simple A2.0 files using A2003.
Data is easy to convert/import (in fact I can view old Access tables without using Access at all).
However, the work that I do is normally to convert the entire database to ACCDB

I have tried but could not use A2003 to convert the SOLUTION.MDB file (nor the NWIND example app from A2.0)
Nor could I import all objects to a new blank database
Queries, macros and some (not all) tables were imported but none of the forms, reports or modules could be imported

I've included SOLUTION.MDB in the attached zip file so you can try converting it yourself and see if you are successful
I'll be interested in your results

Attachments

@isladogs
Here it is the Solution database converted to these ms access database formats: 2000,2003,2010 accdb.
There are some compiler errors and I suppose it needs the NWIND database to work properly.

Attachments

Last edited:
Hi Xevi
Thanks. You managed to convert most of the file but with errors.
That's what I expected when I uploaded the files earlier.
Indeed, that was the point I was trying to make in my earlier replies.
Converting an old Access 2.0 database in its entirety is not always straightforward.

The compile error is due to the missing library file UTILITY.MDA and, as stated, NWIND.MDB is also required
I've included both in the attached zip file . . . but both of those will also need converting!

For the benefit of others as well as myself, can you explain what you used to convert both the MDB and HLP files

Attachments

Hi Xevi
Thanks. You managed to convert most of the file but with errors.
That's what I expected when I uploaded the files earlier.
Indeed, that was the point I was trying to make in my earlier replies.
Converting an old Access 2.0 database in its entirety is not always straightforward.

The compile error is due to the missing library file UTILITY.MDA and, as stated, NWIND.MDB is also required
I've included both in the attached zip file . . . but both of those will also need converting!

For the benefit of others as well as myself, can you explain what you used to convert both the MDB and HLP files
Hi Colin,
I've converted the databases in several steps with no issues.
1.- Access 2 to Access 2000 using Access 2000
2.- Access 2000 to Access 2003 using Access 2003
3.- Access 2003 to Access 2010 using Access 2010

To convert the HLP file, I searched a andom HLP online converter (I can't attach links).
1719175982424.png

Here there are the other files converted.

Attachments

Last edited:
I have a newer version of Solutions. Looks like it is made with A2k and has been updated to use a newer version of Northwind and has some additional features. It also seems to remove embedded spaces from object names.

I also have several other samples from various time periods although I may not have the original .exe or .zip so I wouldn't have any help files that were included.

I'm pretty sure someone posted a bunch of old versions of Northwind. If I can't find the post, I'll see what i can put together although @isladogs probably has the most comprehensive list. I may have sent what I have of these old samples to Colin when I sent them to Crystal and George when they started work on the update to Northwind.

I would be willing to update some of these files but am reluctant to do so since I don't own the copyright so would want permission from MS before undertaking the project. The new Northwind has a lot of excellent examples but they are not easily discoverable. What I like about the old sample databases is that they are well organized and you have a good overview of what samples are included. Most of the examples are trivial but if you don't know how to do something, it isn't trivial to you;)

I strongly recommend that anyone who sees this thread downloads one of the converted samples OR the converted new version that I attached.

Keep in mind that since the help files are not available, many of the examples will not work. you might be able to figure out what the help file says by looking at the converted help file since the apps have mostly the same examples. With the Solutions9 version, I think all the help was online but it is long gone.

Attachments

It remains to be understood whether it is sufficient for @emnow to have the data included in the tables or whether he wants all the material present within SELECT.MDB
I'm pretty sure that he needs to run the app but he'll tell us.

@Pat Hartman
As well as Access 2.0, the SOLUTION.MDB file was definitely supplied with Access 95 and 97.
This is the A97 version:
1719262572387.png

I didn't think it came with A2000 or later (but I may be wrong about that)
This is the Office 2000 components:
1719264677547.png

I included what I believe is a complete list of Northwind databases in my article:

I still have all versions of Office from 1.0 to 365 (except 2016 / 2019) on various VMs, complete with all supplied templates such as Northwind

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom