Job Titles

ShaneMan said:
Yours and mine.

Rich doesn't own a Bible, not believing in God or Christianity himself. His superior knowledge of Christianity no doubt comes from his head, or something he's heard someone else say or looked up on the internet. It doesn't matter anyway. My entire beef was with the ridiculous comment about not being capable of hate because he wasn't a Christian, a statement that he fails to see as acenine.

Rich, you sure can be aggravating but you make good points when you argue them rationally without throwing mean or snide comments in for no reason. Hopefully next week we can all start fresh. ;)

MrsGorilla said:
Rich doesn't own a Bible, not believing in God or Christianity himself. His superior knowledge of Christianity no doubt comes from his head, or something he's heard someone else say or looked up on the internet. It doesn't matter anyway. My entire beef was with the ridiculous comment about not being capable of hate because he wasn't a Christian, a statement that he fails to see as acenine.

Rich, you sure can be aggravating but you make good points when you argue them rationally without throwing mean or snide comments in for no reason. Hopefully next week we can all start fresh. ;)

Now you're being condescending Cindy, just because I'm not a Christian in some societies mindsets does not mean that I've never owned a Bible or went to bible study as a child, nor does it mean that I didn't make up my own mind based on the evidence presented

jsanders said:
Maybe,

It’s hard to judge faith.

Some people are quiet about their faith. I have the faith of a recovering alcoholic.

For 17 years I have never had a moments laps in faith. No one knows for sure what others feel when it comes to this.
What was your faith in, that you could overcome alcohol addiction?

Rich said:
every translation that I've ever seen again quite clearly says "thou shalt not kill" are you saying that all the bibles I was ever given are wrong ?:confused:

No, I'm not saying wrong. I'm just saying not translated as deep as it could have been. Hebrew uses specific words for what they mean. For instance, love. They have a number of words for love. We have one and we just know how it fits with the situation and whoever we're saying it to. Same goes for this word that we are discussing. Kill could be some what of a proper translation but a more accurate one is murder. If you use the KJV, remember is was first translated in 1595 (I think that's right) and then again in 1611, so it's been around a long time and English is not spoken like that any longer.

Rich said:
What was your faith in, that you could overcome alcohol addiction?

Is Rich, not was.

That a higher power has saved me from a life of misery.

See Rich only 3% of the alcoholics stay sober.

So if you’re lucky enough to be one, there is a reason.

And the only one that works, is faith.

My Grandfather was murdered by my grandmother best friend because he was a drunk. My uncles all led tragic lives because of the drink. Luckily alcoholism is genetically transmitted to same gender offspring sparing my mother, who still suffers from a broken neck caused by a drunk driver.

I can go on and on. Why was I spared?

Like I said…Faith.

ShaneMan said:
No, I'm not saying wrong. I'm just saying not translated as deep as it could have been. Hebrew uses specific words for what they mean. For instance, love. They have a number of words for love. We have one and we just know how it fits with the situation and whoever we're saying it to. Same goes for this word that we are discussing. Kill could be some what of a proper translation but a more accurate one is murder. If you use the KJV, remember is was first translated in 1595 (I think that's right) and then again in 1611, so it's been around a long time and English is not spoken like that any longer.

Will they alter the wording on this stone ? ;)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Ten_Commandments_Monument.jpg

I still think that to all intents and purposes the message was that thou shall not kill

Rich said:
Will they alter the wording on this stone ? ;)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Ten_Commandments_Monument.jpg

I still think that to all intents and purposes the message was that thou shall not kill

I have no idea whether they will alter the stone or not.

This will open up a different can I'm sure, but there is a difference. God gave the 10 Commandments to Moses, yet He (God) also told different Kings of Israel, at different times, to attack and defeat different armies that were enemies of God. If the meaning was thou shalt not kill, then God would be instructing his people to break is own commandment.

Rich said:
you can have faith in yourself to overcome adversity too

No question about that.

But alcoholics have the odds stacked against them.

ShaneMan said:
I have no idea whether they will alter the stone or not.

This will open up a different can I'm sure, but there is a difference. God gave the 10 Commandments to Moses, yet He (God) also told different Kings of Israel, at different times, to attack and defeat different armies that were enemies of God. If the meaning was thou shalt not kill, then God would be instructing his people to break is own commandment.
Yet another one of the Bibles contradictions, looks like God didn't have much faith in himself either, ordering others to do his dirty work :eek:

Rich said:
Yet another one of the Bibles contradictions, looks like God didn't have much faith in himself either, ordering others to do his dirty work :eek:

See, I told you it would open a different can of worms. Rich, I believe people find what they are looking for and see what they want to see. I have enjoyed the day sparring with you. My wife and I are going to the movies so I need to check out. I'll pick a topic to jump in sometime in the future. I don't normally get to stay home all day so unfortuately I usually only get to see what you guys have thrown around when I get home at night and ya'll are long gone.

Thanks again and I'll catch ya sometime:)

Rich said:
Now you're being condescending Cindy, just because I'm not a Christian in some societies mindsets does not mean that I've never owned a Bible or went to bible study as a child, nor does it mean that I didn't make up my own mind based on the evidence presented

I didn't say that you never owned one, I meant that you don't own one now. You're right, that comment was probably unneccessary seeing as how I would have no idea whether you own a Bible or have ever owned one, but was based on the completely condescending and flippant way you argue your points, and the unneccessarily rude and mean comments you often throw out there, and of course, the fact that you (almost) never admit you were wrong. You see, I've made my mind up based on the evidence as well, but you and have come to different conclusions. I, however, can still see that people who have formed different opinions may have very valid opinions even though they differ from mine. You, cannot. This, to me, defies the "open mindedness" that you claim to embrace. That's all I have to say on this, I won't waste any more of my valuable time discussing it with someone who doesn't have the guts to admit when he's out of line.

stumbles into the room with a half drunk bottle of Kahlua and strange new facial hair.
Shakes head and leaves singing:

Out in the West Texas town of El Paso
I fell in love with a Mexican girl
Nighttime would find me in Rosa's Cantina
Music would play and Felina would whirl

Blacker than night where the eyes of Felina
Wicked and evil while casting a spell
My love was strong for this Mexican maiden
I was in love, but in vain I could tell

One night a wild young cowboy came in
Wild as the West Texas wind
Dashing and daring, a drink he was sharing
With wicked Felina, the girl that I loved

So in anger I challenged his right for the love of this maiden
Down went his hand for the gun that he wore
My challenge was answered, in less than a heartbeat
The handsome young stranger lay dead on the floor

Just for a moment I stood there in silence
Shocked by the foul evil deed I had done
Many thoughts ran through my mind as I stood there
I had but one chance and that was to run

Out through the back door of Rose's I ran
Out where the horses were tied
I caught a good one, it looked like it could run
Up on his back and away I did ride

Just as fast as I could from the West Texas town of El Paso
Out thru the badlands of New Mexico

Back in El Paso, my life would be worthless
Everything's gone in life nothing is left
It's been so long since I've seen the young maiden
My love is stronger than my fear of death

I saddled up and away I did go
Riding alone in the dark
Maybe tomorrow a bullet may find me
Tonight nothing's worse than this pain in my heart
And at last here I am on the hill overlooking El Paso
I can see Rose's Cantina below
My love is strong and it pushes me onward
Down off the hill to Felina I go

Off to my right I see five mounted cowboys
Off to my left ride a dozen or more
shouting and shooting, I can't let them catch me
I've got to make it to Rose's back door

Something is dreadfully wrong for, I feel
A deep burning pain in my side

Something is dreadfully wrong, for I feel
A deep burning pain in my side
Although I am trying to stay in the saddle
I'm getting weary, unable to ride
It's getting harder to stay in the saddle
I'm getting weary, unable to ride

But my love for Felina is strong and I rise where I've fallen
Though I am weary, I can't stop to rest
I see the white puff of smoke from the rifle
I feel the bullet go deep in my chest

From out of nowhere, Felina has found me
Kissing my cheek as she kneels by my side
Cradled by two loving arms that I'll die for
One little kiss and Felina goodbye

We used to sing that when we were kids. Never knew it had so many verses.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom