Lost relationships after split in BE (1 Viewer)

Z34Lee

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 05:19
I saw there were several posts by people who thought they lost their relationships after a split, but that was in the front end. Mine are now gone in the back end. None of the tables are even shown in the relationship window. Just a heads up I guess. :confused:

KeithG

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 02:19
You can't enforce a relationship on a table that is linked. You must create the relationship in the db where the table is linked from. Are you saying you lost your relationships in the BE.

Z34Lee

Registered User.
Local time
Yes - split database, no relationships anymore in backend.

boblarson

Smeghead
Local time
When you split a database, the backend is new (hence the reason why the relationships aren't there) (the frontend just gets linked to the new backend). If you want the relationships, you need to define them in the backend.

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
I think it depends on what version of Access you are using. Relationships should be copied into the be when the database is split. I ran into this a number of years ago with A2K and it caused me a real problem because bad data got into the database and I looked like an idiot. So, now I ALWAYS check to make sure everything transfered properly.

Z34Lee

Registered User.
Local time
Just to drudge this up one more time, where SHOULD the relationships be? Front or back?

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
There is only one place where they can be - the back end. Think about it this way - if you created a second front end to link to the first back end, you could conceviably create RI conflicts. Which database's constraints would prevail - front end 1 or front end 2?

You can create relationships in a front end but they are for reference only. You will not be able to enforce RI. They do nothing but look pretty.

boblarson

Smeghead
Local time
There is only one place where they can be - the back end. Think about it this way - if you created a second front end to link to the first back end, you could conceviably create RI conflicts. Which database's constraints would prevail - front end 1 or front end 2?

You can create relationships in a front end but they are for reference only. You will not be able to enforce RI. They do nothing but look pretty.

Yay! I was right (for a change) :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom