National Day Of Prayer Showcases Intolerant Religious Right Agenda (1 Viewer)

Mick Jagger

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 14:39
Doesn't appear that they do;)

That does appear to be the case.

Anybody want to know the secret to understanding the U. S. Constitution?

Mick Jagger

Registered User.
Local time
Only if you have valid information

The information comes from the book that, according to James Madison, was in the hands of every man at the Virginia Convention as they discussed whether to ratify or reject the proposed Constitution.

that wasn't taught in 9th grade.

It wasn't even taught to me in law school

If it's another bashing expedition, no.

I won't bash you for not knowing the secret.

statsman

Local time
Today, 17:39
So Obama and/or his campaign was allowing Rev.Wright to speak on his/their behalf up until April 29 or were the opinions of the good Reverend considered FORMER prior to the announcement?
QUOTE]

I don't recall a quote being attributed to the Rev. Wright without the qualifier FORMER PASTOR being included.
I am open to correction on this one.

Fifty2One

Legend in my own mind
Local time
I don't recall a quote being attributed to the Rev. Wright without the qualifier FORMER PASTOR being included.
I am open to correction on this one.

Taken out of context it is starting to look like Rev.Wright has left the church because everytime his name is mentioned he refered to as a FORMER PASTOR.

In God We Trust is the official national motto of the United States, so if you have a name other than "GOD" as a higher power would you have an untrustable diety?

Mick Jagger

Registered User.
Local time
What's wrong with this statement?

But the dissent’s argument for the original understanding is flawed from the outset by its failure to consider the full range of evidence showing what the Framers believed.

--MCCREARY COUNTY V. AMERICAN CIVIL LIBERTIESUNION OF KY.​

Local time
Today, 16:39
I won't bash you for not knowing the secret.

I think you just did. But, I'm not worried about being bashed. Nor am I worried about others being bashed. I just don't want to hear you talk about it.

If you have valid information that comes from a valid source, sure, I'd love to hear about it, since you requested. However, if you want to bash Bush, America, American leaders, Americans, or anybody else, you can post whatever you want, I just am not interested and won't read more than a couple of lines, since you asked.

Mick Jagger

Registered User.
Local time
I think you just did. But, I'm not worried about being bashed. Nor am I worried about others being bashed. I just don't want to hear you talk about it.

If you have valid information that comes from a valid source, sure, I'd love to hear about it, since you requested. However, if you want to bash Bush, America, American leaders, Americans, or anybody else, you can post whatever you want, I just am not interested and won't read more than a couple of lines, since you asked.

The secret is that the lawmakers didn't mean for us to gather the meaning of the Constitution from what they believed. They meant for us to use objective well established rules to ascertain the meaning of the language in the Constitution.

Local time
Today, 16:39
The secret is that the lawmakers didn't mean for us to gather the meaning of the Constitution from what they believed. They meant for us to use objective well established rules to ascertain the meaning of the language in the Constitution.

The words "well established" means conservative to me.

There are many people who know that and agree with you. Many of them are sitting in the bench now. They get into power cyclically and this is a good thing, keeping the powers in balance.

There are many people who disagree, also. They believe that the actions of the framers lent meaning to their words, helping to define what their words meant. Same thing applies to them.

This back and forth tends to change what we consider as "conservative" over time. "Well established" seems to change (again, probably a good thing).

Thank you for your answer based on intelligence.

Mick Jagger

Registered User.
Local time
The words "well established" means conservative to me.

When I said the rules were well established, I meant that, at the time the Constitution was made, the rules had been established by the courts, some dating back to the early 1500's. The fundamental principle was that the

method to interpret the will of the legislator, is by exploring his intentions at the time when the law was made, by signs the most natural and probable.

Fifty2One

Legend in my own mind
Local time
The United States would not have their constitution without the Haudenosaunee people. It was all heavily influenced by the Iroquois' Great Law of Peace.

Alc

Registered User.
Local time
What's wrong with this statement?

But the dissent’s argument for the original understanding is flawed from the outset by its failure to consider the full range of evidence showing what the Framers believed.

--MCCREARY COUNTY V. AMERICAN CIVIL LIBERTIESUNION OF KY.​

There should be a space between 'Liberties' and 'Union'?

Mick Jagger

Registered User.
Local time
Does the law that put "In God We Trust" on the nation's coins violate the U. S. Constitution? Where does the Constitution grant the government jurisdiction over whether or not we trust in God?

Sum Guy

Registered User.
Local time
The United States would not have their constitution without the Haudenosaunee people. It was all heavily influenced by the Iroquois' Great Law of Peace.

If you're going to steal, steal from the best.
The Great Law of Peace between the five tribes of the Iroquois Confederacy lasted hundreds of years.
Now, it we could just get the US to follow that example.

statsman

Local time
Of course, one reason the Iroquois peace lasted so long may have been they had the Hurons and Algoquins to make war on.

Mick Jagger

Registered User.
Local time
Over the years, liberal judges have twisted the First Amendment's phrase about "free exercise of religion" to mean the opposite — that you are not free to exercise your religion if atheists or members of non-Christian religions say that they are offended.

--Thomas Sowell

When did the Supreme Court ever say "you are not free to exercise your religion if atheists or members of non-Christian religions say that they are offended?"

Fifty2One

Legend in my own mind
Local time
Of course, one reason the Iroquois peace lasted so long may have been they had the Hurons and Algoquins to make war on.

The Iroquois were being bullied by the other nations and were only defending theirselves rather than making war. As long as the Huron and Algonquins were playing nicey nice with the European invaders things were calm but once France and England decided one of them owned rights to fight over the invaded territories all heck broke loose.

Mick Jagger

Registered User.
Local time
Joseph Stalin was a strong opponent of abortion. John McCain is also.

Rabbie

Super Moderator
Local time
Today, 22:39
So was Mother Teresa. You have a point?
I wouldn't think so. He seems to have an amazing capacity to leap from one non sequitur to the next.

In fact I suspect that "Mick Jagger" is an alias for another member of this forum. Perhaps we should start a competion to see who it is:D

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom