National Day Of Prayer Showcases Intolerant Religious Right Agenda (1 Viewer)

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
Today, 00:35
I always wanted to learn how to play. One of those things I always wished I had learned to do but never did. Probably too late now.

Cindy never too late - I'm about 40 years older than you. I didn't learn until about 4 years ago. I've been a drummer all my life, but gave that up about 5 years ago to take up the bass guitar - now play bass in an orchestra.

The Strat is just a hobby, I play along to backing tracks. (available on ebay)

Get yourself a guitar and an amp and go for it.

Col

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
WUM could be 'Woman of Unspecified Mentality'

Col

Mick Jagger

Registered User.
Local time
Yesterday, 16:35
McCain linked to terrorist sympathizer.

http://gawker.com/tag/keffiyeh/?i=5003288&t=mccain-daughter-dons-islamic-terror-scarf

Alc

Registered User.
Local time
Yesterday, 19:35

Wouldn't you be better posting this all on an American site? We British are hardly interested in our own politics never mind yours!

To be honest, he/she doesn't seem interested, either.

Copying and pasting sections of text without any original thoughts about the subject doesn't really constitute expressing an interest.

oumahexi

Free Range Witch
Local time
To be honest, he/she doesn't seem interested, either.

Copying and pasting sections of text without any original thoughts about the subject doesn't really constitute expressing an interest.

OK, so this is obviously some sort of a wind up merchant. Is there a way I can block any messages he/she posts? Or do I need to exercise restraint and take on a vow of silence which is totally against my nature.:p

Alc

Registered User.
Local time
Yesterday, 19:35
OK, so this is obviously some sort of a wind up merchant. Is there a way I can block any messages he/she posts? Or do I need to exercise restraint and take on a vow of silence which is totally against my nature.:p
I'm thinking student, probably underachieving.

You can set it so you don't have to read his/her posts by clicking on his/her name, chosing to view his/her public profile, then adding him/her to your ignore list.

You'll still be able to follow the discussion in threads he/she is on, as his/her 'comments' (for want of a better word) don't add anything to the discussion, so editing them out will have no effect.

oumahexi

Free Range Witch
Local time
I'm thinking student, probably underachieving.

You can set it so you don't have to read his/her posts by clicking on his/her name, chosing to view his/her public profile, then adding him/her to your ignore list.

You'll still be able to follow the discussion in threads he/she is on, as his/her 'comments' (for want of a better word) don't add anything to the discussion, so editing them out will have no effect.

Thanks Alc. I've done that.

Local time
Yesterday, 18:35

OMG! The world is coming to an end.

And since I'm linked to McCain via a social networking site, that must make me linked to a terrorist sympathizer. Woe is me.

BTW, since you're linked to me on this site, regularly feeding me interesting little tidbits to which I respond, I guess you're also linked to a terrorist sympathizer.

Now, on to something important (which this clearly is not). In the UK, is it spelled "sympathizer" or "sympathiser" (or something else)? I'm really trying to learn English but we in the Bible Belt aren't that smart, as proven by my brethren on this forum using cold facts.

oumahexi

Free Range Witch
Local time
OMG! The world is coming to an end.

And since I'm linked to McCain via a social networking site, that must make me linked to a terrorist sympathizer. Woe is me.

BTW, since you're linked to me on this site, regularly feeding me interesting little tidbits to which I respond, I guess you're also linked to a terrorist sympathizer.

Now, on to something important (which this clearly is not). In the UK, is it spelled "sympathizer" or "sympathiser" (or something else)? I'm really trying to learn English but we in the Bible Belt aren't that smart, as proven by my brethren on this forum using cold facts.

Do you know, I don't think many of us really worry too much about the use of an s or a z anymore. We're getting quite used to mixing and matching American English with English English. Half the time we don't even check if our spell checker is set to UK English or American English. So, if it gets past Rabbie I'd say you're ok there. lol

BarryMK

4 strings are enough
Local time
Well I'm one of the half that does care. Personally I always use s not z in "ise" words but I believe technically z is perfectly acceptable in English as opposed to US English.

Interestingly for all the rants we get about American usage of the mother tongue, frequently the reason for the differences that separate us is that the Americans held on to the original English form whereas on this island our language evolved. Hence the use in America of the participle "gotten" which the Mayflower voyagers would have used and which is still common coinage in the US which we here have dropped. Whatever our feelings about language we'll never stop it from evolving. I just hope it doesn't evelove into text speak ...........

Local time
I'm glad we were able to stick to the important portion of this topic.

I prefer 1337 speak, but a lot of |\|00|3z0rz don't get it.

MrsGorilla

Rat Race Participant
Local time
Cindy never too late - I'm about 40 years older than you. I didn't learn until about 4 years ago. I've been a drummer all my life, but gave that up about 5 years ago to take up the bass guitar - now play bass in an orchestra.

The Strat is just a hobby, I play along to backing tracks. (available on ebay)

Get yourself a guitar and an amp and go for it.

Col

I haven't played an instrument since high school, and that was a clarinet. :eek:

I wanted to play drums, but my Mom wouldn't let me because they were too loud to practice in the house. :mad: Also, I think they couldn't afford a new instrument so I had to pick one that my older sisters had played. That left me with either clarinet or flute, hence the clarinet.

It would be fun to learn...

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom