News Stories Rants

selenau837 said:
OK dang it...you two behave. *stern look to both* Or else y'all will be in trouble. :D This is the 'cooler, not the other one to be mean to each other.
You're right Selena - now stop it Ken

Col

Stupid girl. Overreacting teacher. 'Nuff said.

ColinEssex said:
You're right Selena - now stop it Ken

Col

Col started it. :mad:

ColinEssex said:
no I didn't - you did

Col

box.gif

Kraj said:
Stupid girl. Overreacting teacher. 'Nuff said.

I really think this depends on the demeanor of the student at the time.

She could just have been trying to be 'cool' in front of her class mates in which case she does need to be taught that this stuff isn't acceptable.

However, in light of past violent events in our schools, it may have been appropriate to address the situation more seriously. Perhaps the teacher spotted something a little more sinister in the students behavior? Maybe, maybe not.

The rhyme was crap, unfunny and tasteless to say the least. But it's impossible for us to tell whether anything was meant by it.

EDIT: I've just read back on the article and the girl is denying any 'wrong-doing' - which doesn't exactly help her case.

Last edited:
dan-cat said:
But it's impossible for us to tell whether anything was meant by it.

A smart student would have realized how it could have been taken, not by how she meant it...

To me any threat in any manner should be addressed. If they are not addressed, how else is the student suppose to learn that is not acceptable in the ‘real word’. If I were to say something like that here at work, I would be fired and charges pressed against me. So, if you ask me the teacher took the appropriate action towards the student.

selenau837 said:
To me any threat in any manner should be addressed. If they are not addressed, how else is the student suppose to learn that is not acceptable in the ‘real word’. If I were to say something like that here at work, I would be fired and charges pressed against me. So, if you ask me the teacher took the appropriate action towards the student.

And if she had apologized immediately the teacher should have excused the whole scenario, but I'm guessing she got an attitude...

KenHigg said:
And if she had apologized immediately the teacher should have excused the whole scenario, but I'm guessing she got an attitude...

I don't think so. She needed to be taught that language of that kind is not tolerated. Attitude or not, she should be punished.

selenau837 said:

Yes, I agree. All the teacher actually did was raise his concerns to the school authority. He obviously thought it needed to be addressed. I don't see the point in trusting our children's education to teachers if we are not going to trust their judgement.

If my child had done such a thing I would not have blamed the teacher one jot. Suspension seems a bit harsh but it wasn't the teacher who made this decision. I think it has probably something more to do with the child's defiance.

Violence in our schools is a reality and I don't see the problem in a teacher raising his concerns in this context.

Of course the rhyme was crap. Second-graders teach it to first graders. The girl was likely expressing her irritation with her teacher in that same juvenile - and harmless - fashion.

At the very least, it was stupid, disruptive, immature, and completely inappropriate. It's worth a trip to the Principal's office or the like. A suspension is a major overreaction. (of course, that's without knowing anything about what happened in the Principal's office.)

At worst, it was a direct threat of violence from a disturbed student. If that is the case, that appropraite response is ... exactly the same, except a close eye has to be kept on the person. The things is, the one thing all students who commit violence at school have in common is they want attention. If she really was being threatening then a suspension and media attention is exactly what she wants.

selenau837 said:
I don't think so. She needed to be taught that language of that kind is not tolerated. Attitude or not, she should be punished.

Yes mam' :o :

sal.gif

Kraj said:
Of course the rhyme was crap. Second-graders teach it to first graders. The girl was likely expressing her irritation with her teacher in that same juvenile - and harmless - fashion.

At the very least, it was stupid, disruptive, immature, and completely inappropriate. It's worth a trip to the Principal's office or the like. A suspension is a major overreaction. (of course, that's without knowing anything about what happened in the Principal's office.)

At worst, it was a direct threat of violence from a disturbed student. If that is the case, that appropraite response is ... exactly the same, except a close eye has to be kept on the person. The things is, the one thing all students who commit violence at school have in common is they want attention. If she really was being threatening then a suspension and media attention is exactly what she wants.

My question is, when is it too much? A rhyme here and there if left as a non-punishable offence, can’t it escalate to further actions from the students?

Yes, I agree media attention was uncalled for. That was wrong of them to bring it out like that. Perhaps the parents don’t feel she did anything wrong and decided to bring the media in to help their child out. If that is the case, that just shows the parent’s lack of intelligence in the matter.

That is what is wrong now days. The kids are able to get away with all kind of misdeeds at school and the parents take up for them. The teacher does not have any support from the parents like they use too. The teacher is always labeled as the bad guy.

If the parents would start to back up the teacher and show a united front, I bet a lot of the problems can be corrected. If the parents show no respect to the teacher and the other educational factuality, then why should the kids?

The parents need to start setting a better example for their kids to follow. I always try my best to hear the teacher out before I make judgment. My kids know they can’t expect mommie to take their side and not talk to the teacher. They learned that lesson really quickly, and since then I’ve had no problems.

Kraj said:

I still don't see how the teacher was 'overreacting'. All he did was raise his concerns. An appropriate thing to do considering the student's obvious defiance.

selenau837 said:
My question is, when is it too much? A rhyme here and there if left as a non-punishable offence, can’t it escalate to further actions from the students?
You pretty much answered your own question. It is too much when it escalates into actions.

selenau837 said:
That is what is wrong now days. The kids are able to get away with all kind of misdeeds at school and the parents take up for them. The teacher does not have any support from the parents like they use too. The teacher is always labeled as the bad guy.
Yep. I really have to add, though, that this problem is partially the fault of teachers. For decades there have been many, many teachers in the schools who don't deserve the respect of the students or the parents and nothing has been done about it. Teachers can be cruel, rude, belittling, etc., or just plain stupid without any reprocussion. More often than not, administrators don't take student complaints seriously. It's no wonder that children who grew up being taught by people like that have no respect for teachers now that they're adults.

dan-cat said:
I still don't see how the teacher was 'overreacting'. All he did was raise his concerns. An appropriate thing to do considering the student's obvious defiance.
You're correct. The article wasn't very clear, but after rereading it I see it seems to suggest the teacher simply emailed an administrator about the incident. It was, therefore, the administrator who overreacted.

Last edited:
Kraj said:
Teachers can be cruel, rude, belittling, etc., or just plain stupid without any reprocussion.

Students can be cruel, rude, belittling, etc., or just plain stupid without any reprocussion.

Parents can be cruel, rude, belittling, etc., or just plain stupid without any reprocussion.

Anyone see a pattern here...:rolleyes:

selenau837 said:
That doesn’t have anything to do with lax gun laws. The guns are usually stolen or are taken from the irresponsible parents. When guns are properly put away, children cannot access them. So Col dear, you can’t blame our gun laws. Blame those who allow the children to get them. Either criminals who give illegal guns to the kids or to the parents who aren’t responsible enough to secure the guns in a proper manner

Why have them in the first place since their sole purpose is to kill, or is it so responsible parents can teach the little uns how to kill?:confused: :confused:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom