On a more positive note...

KenHigg said:
So are you kind of in the middle of your busy season with the heating work?

That's getting near the end, it usually ends around Easter, however I still have the kitchen to contend with :mad: :D

Cupcake has me cleaning out the laundry room this morning :(

(I sneak over to the computer when she leaves the room :) )

Rich said:
I started it because it seemed to insult the memory of everybody else that sacrificed their lives for us, I'm sorry that you don't see it that way.

And because she doesn't it see it your way she confirms your pretext expressed in your statement detailed below.

Rich said:
If you ,Kenny and all those others can't see that the article and even the statue in question is an insult to those who lost their lives in the true fight for freedom then there is no hope and one can freely come to the the conclusion that as a nation you're brainwashed and know nothing about the true events of history other than that fed by the state.

So as she doesn't see things your way. Do you then subscribe to the view that "as a nation you're brainwashed and know nothing about the true events of history other than that fed by the state"?

Rich said:
Can I use Danny's criteria then and post a list of posts where I haven't even mentioned the US to disprove that statement ?

I think the ratio between your American and non-American posts should prove very interesting. By all means, gather the figures.

Rich said:
Can I use Danny's criteria then and post a list of posts where I haven't even mentioned the US to disprove that statement ?

LMAO :D Are you saying that all American posts made by you are insults?

Rich said:
That's not so Tess, I don't need to read a fictitious account with stage managed characters to be aware of the sacrifices made on our behalf, I see the evidence every bloody day. :(

I started it because it seemed to insult the memory of everybody else that sacrificed their lives for us, I'm sorry that you don't see it that way.

I don't think the memorial insults any soldier's memory.
And I think the speech that man gave brings honor to all fallen men, as well as the men who lived through such horrors. And it bears remembering that many were just boys. That it was a staged photo doesn't change any of those facts.

I simply don't understand why you would want to sully anyone's memorial.
I am also sorry you don't see it my way.

However, you are quite right about me, Rich. I am woefully ignorant of much of my country's histories in battles as well as YOUR country's histories in battles. And, yes, I only know what I have been told because I wasn't bloody there!

But I do consider myself quite fortunate, that if I had to be born a woman, that I was at least given the blessing of being born in a country where my sexual organs weren't quite in danger of being cut with razors and obliterated. And that I'll never be burned alive for my family's inability to produce an adequate dowry. And that, for the most part, I am free to live my life as I choose. I think I would have that same liberty in your country as well. My life may be better in yours... it may be worse.... I can't really tell. But I do hope that our countries continue to be safe for both of our children and grandchildren for centuries to come. And I think we have a much better chance at that if we started to believe that we were all on the same side.

Time for my opinion on the subject - hurrah!

Tess has demonstrated wonderfully why I made such a fuss about the "poisoned well" scenario. I believe you NEVER put a label on someone or something they represent before you let them speak. This is the basis of prejudice and to me is entirely unacceptable.

Fortunately Tess rose above this prejudice and conveyed an opinion that I agree with.

The statue is a memorial. It is there to remind us of what our pre-decessors had gone through to make our society safe. It is not an historical document. The soldiers were marines but this doesn't matter - to a child they could have been ANY soldier. This is the point.

Countless people died to make sure evil did not prevail. This happened. If a staged memorial serves to remind our children of this fact then that is a good thing.

Me and my family live today in freedom because our and all the allied troops stood up to the evil that was Nazism. They knew they could die but they did it anyway. I didn't because I wasn't alive, but they did. The memorial was staged but it reminds me and my family that the deaths of countless soldiers like them were not. Their deaths were real. Me and my family thank them.

dan-cat said:
I think the ratio between your American and non-American posts should prove very interesting. By all means, gather the figures.

I don't need to find a ratio Danny, by your own logic I just need one post to disprove the charge

Rich said:
I don't need to find a ratio Danny, by your own logic I just need one post to disprove the charge

I didn't say you did Richy - I just said the ratio would be interesting to me. As I said, by all means, go find the figures.

TessB said:
And I think the speech that man gave brings honor to all fallen men, as well as the men who lived through such horrors. And it bears remembering that many were just boys. That it was a staged photo doesn't change any of those facts.

are you seriously suggesting that a complete stranger suddenly appears and knows all the names etc. of those who fell at Iwo ?:confused:

I simply don't understand why you would want to sully anyone's memorial.
I am also sorry you don't see it my way.

I haven't sullied anyones memorial, I just questioned the aptness of the one in question.

However, you are quite right about me, Rich. I am woefully ignorant of much of my country's histories in battles as well as YOUR country's histories in battles. And, yes, I only know what I have been told because I wasn't bloody there!

I didn't accuse you of ignorance Tess, I doubt if very few women from either of our countries could name that many battles either of our countries were involved in.
I wasn't bloody there either, thank God.

And I think we have a much better chance at that if we started to believe that we were all on the same side.

I've never suggested that we aren't, however we have now and always have had, different ideas on achieving the same objective.

dan-cat said:
I didn't say you did Richy - I just said the ratio would be interesting to me. As I said, by all means, go find the figures.

Are you seriously suggesting I have time to search through over 20,000 posts just to prove a point ? :eek:
Just one will suffice :cool: :p

dan-cat said:
Time for my opinion on the subject - hurrah!

Tess has demonstrated wonderfully why I made such a fuss about the "poisoned well" scenario. I believe you NEVER put a label on someone or something they represent before you let them speak. This is the basis of prejudice and to me is entirely unacceptable.

Fortunately Tess rose above this prejudice and conveyed an opinion that I agree with.

The statue is a memorial. It is there to remind us of what our pre-decessors had gone through to make our society safe. It is not an historical document. The soldiers were marines but this doesn't matter - to a child they could have been ANY soldier. This is the point.

Countless people died to make sure evil did not prevail. This happened. If a staged memorial serves to remind our children of this fact then that is a good thing.

Me and my family live today in freedom because our and all the allied troops stood up to the evil that was Nazism. They knew they could die but they did it anyway. I didn't because I wasn't alive, but they did. The memorial was staged but it reminds me and my family that the deaths of countless soldiers like them were not. Their deaths were real. Me and my family thank them.

Then we'll have to agree to disagree

Rich said:
I haven't sullied anyones memorial, I just questioned the aptness of the one in question.

I think you said a little more than that Richy :rolleyes:

Rich said:
The fact that he had artists doesn't detract from the fact that you guys need a staged picture of an American flag flying over a foreign land to remember those who fell in battle.

Edit: I can't speak for the other "guys". But my local cemetry gives me all the reminders I need.

Last edited:
Rich said:
Then we'll have to agree to disagree

Ok.

Just a quick question. Do you think the following statement is in anyway insulting?

"Never was so much owed by so many to so few"

dan-cat said:
Ok.

Just a quick question. Do you think the following statement is in anyway insulting?

"Never was so much owed by so many to so few"

No, it's from Shakespeare, isn't it? :confused:

Rich said:
No, it's from Shakespeare, isn't it? :confused:

No, it's from Winston Churchill. Shakespeare wrote something very similar in a play called Henry V.

Here it is:

"And Crispin Crispian shall ne'er go by,
From this day to the ending of the world,
But we in it shall be remembered-
We few, we happy few, we band of brothers; "

dan-cat said:
Here it is:

"And Crispin Crispian shall ne'er go by,
From this day to the ending of the world,
But we in it shall be remembered-
We few, we happy few, we band of brothers; "
No that's not what Churchill wrote, off the top of my head it goes something like
If Britain and its empire shall last for a thousand years men shall say this was their finest hour.
Never in the field of human conflict was so much owed by so many to so few

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom