RIP Steve Irwin

Rich said:
Then you might as well ask what the point of any discussion is

Yes but sadly that depends on who we're discussing the topics with.

It's the usual problem here on this forum & most others I've seen, some people mainly post comments to provoke a negative response.

Groundrush said:

It's the usual problem here on this forum & most others I've seen, some people mainly post comments to provoke a negative response.

So because somebody holds a different opinion, however controversial, that person should keep his, or her, mouth shut?

Hardly free speech is it?

Rich said:

I thought you yourself said free speech doesn't exist. ;)

Groundrush said:

How true. :(

To get back on topic. I personally enjoyed watching his show. Maybe he did bait a croc while holding his baby. It's not a risk I would have taken, but that is how he grew up. To him, I'm sure it was perfectly safe. But hey, everyone makes mistakes. It's too bad that it's tarnishing his image now and being dredged up again after his untimely death. :rolleyes:

Rich said:
So because somebody holds a different opinion, however controversial, that person should keep his, or her, mouth shut?

It just gets boring when the same people intentionally reply with the so called different opinions just to show how good they are at freedom of speech

Back to the subject - I thought he was great.

I can't think of any other TV personality with such genuine enthusiasm and knowlegde.

I hope his shows are shown for years to come, if I ever flick channels and find him on, I invariable stick with him for the rest of the show.

Groundrush said:
It just gets boring when the same people intentionally reply with the so called different opinions just to show how good they are at freedom of speech
Yes let's all be the same and sing his praises, I'll just ignore the fact that thousands die every day in tragic circumstances.
You can jump to your own conclusions as to why I don't feel so charitable in this instance, that's your prerogative, by all means feel free to use it.

Rich said:
Yes let's all be the same and sing his praises
Why, what's so wrong with that?
I don't think people here are praising him just because everyone else is.
I'll just ignore the fact that thousands die every day in tragic circumstances.
You can choose to ignore that on another thread if there was one on that topic, I don't think you could though, you would soon have the uncontrollable urge to say something to get a reaction.

You can jump to your own conclusions as to why I don't feel so charitable in this instance, that's your prerogative, by all means feel free to use it.

It sounds to me that if this thread was about how stupid & irresponsible he was You & a few others would probably be the only few to praise him.

Groundrush said:
Why, what's so wrong with that?
I don't think people here are praising him just because everyone else is.

I didn't say they were, however by the same token because I don't regard him as a saint doesn't make make me evil, you can jump to whatever conclusion you like about me and my feelings on this or any other subject for that matter, like I said, it's your prerogative.

Rich said:
I didn't say they were, however by the same token because I don't regard him as a saint doesn't make make me evil

Who said he was a saint? :confused:

MrsGorilla said:
Who said he was a saint? :confused:
One gets the impression here and elsewhere that he's almost regarded as such, there was even a suggestion that he recieved a state funeral.

Rich said:
One gets the impression here and elsewhere that he's almost regarded as such, there was even a suggestion that he recieved a state funeral.

So he was a beloved character and many people thought so. I still don't recall anyone having said he was a saint. :cool:

MrsGorilla said:
So he was a beloved character and many people thought so.

I actually think Christopher Reeve was more beloved, does that make me stupid, antagonistic or any of the other crap aimed against me. :confused:

Rich said:
I actually think Christopher Reeve was more beloved, does that make me stupid, antagonistic or any of the other crap aimed against me. :confused:

No, but then this isn't a thread about Christopher Reeve. The guy just died in a freak accident, leaving behind his wife and two young kids. I say leave well enough alone. ;)

Rich....

Please tell me that you wouldn't even THINK about standing up and pointing out someone's flaws at their memorial service.

Ok... you can be honest and say you'd THINK about it... especially if you detested the person... but then again, if you detested them, you probably wouldn't care to go to the memorial service anyway....

But, would you really DO it?

Rich said:
The reason it's been suggested is because of the amount he's done for tourism and wildlife preservation.
On those grounds, I don't see a problem with it.

He's also been nominated for Australian of the year... call me cynical, but I don't know if he would have been nominated if he was still alive...

TessB said:
Rich....

Please tell me that you wouldn't even THINK about standing up and pointing out someone's flaws at their memorial service.

Ok... you can be honest and say you'd THINK about it... especially if you detested the person... but then again, if you detested them, you probably wouldn't care to go to the memorial service anyway....

But, would you really DO it?
I don't actually detest the guy and I have enormous sympathy for his family.
Maybe life has made me too cynical, as far as memorial services go I've only ever been to three and one of those was the worst day in my life.

Its his last chance to win Aussie of the year!

Who has won this previuosly?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom