Shootings in US schools

Point being?
Whch of Britain's allies had been at war for over a year before we joined in to help?
At what point did Germany attack us, forcing us to enter the war to defend ourselves?
What about Canada, Auastralia NZ, etc? When were they attacked?

Point being?
Whch of Britain's allies had been at war for over a year before we joined in to help?
At what point did Germany attack us, forcing us to enter the war to defend ourselves?
What about Canada, Auastralia NZ, etc? When were they attacked?

Last attack in Canada was when Americans invaded Montreal in 1775. (Although we weren't "Canada" yet)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Invasion_of_Canada_(1775)

Once again, Col, missing the logical process.
I have a gun.
Bad things don't happen to me.
Therefore, having a gun is preventing bad things from happening to me.
thats the point. You have a gun. Therefore, your area must be one of the danger areas otherwise you wouldn't need a gun.

I use much the same system to prevent crocodile attacks.
Every day, I throw a balled-up tissue down into my basement.
Every night, I clear it up.
Have I ever been attacked by a crocodile?
I think the results speak for themselves.
you've lost me with this:confused: what on earth has a crocodile got to do with a screwed up Kleenex:confused:

Col

...So I need a gun only in places like above, ... people have guns for protection ...And owning guns for protection is quite common isn't it...safer than all those who feel the need for a gun
You keep missing the point. Yes, one of the reasons people may cite to own guns is for protection. I do not own guns for protection. I don't know anyone that does. Guns have many uses, ONE of them is indeed protection. This does not equate to every gun owner sitting in their home, drenched in a cold sweat, in mortal fear of the next bad-guy that will attempt to break in to our bars-on-the-windows, doors-chained, alarm-riddled, barbed-wired, EMP hardened, nuclear-bunker-type domiciles.

You Brits tend to be much more paranoid, and negative, than any American I know:rolleyes:

Col

ALC's post was a nice piece of mickey taking, I'm amazed you missed it.

Brian

thats the point. You have a gun. Therefore, your area must be one of the danger areas otherwise you wouldn't need a gun.

you've lost me with this:confused: what on earth has a crocodile got to do with a screwed up Kleenex:confused:

Col

I was being facetious.
I do one thing, something else doesn't happen, therefore I must be causing it to not happen.

I guess I should start using more smileys in my posts.

Bodi it is not our fault if we misunderstand why you all have guns, the American posters keep telling us it is for protection, if it is not then please tell us why.

Brian

Col

ALC's post was a nice piece of mickey taking, I'm amazed you missed it.

Brian

Thankyou, sir.
I was getting worried, then.

I had this image of Col typing 'Crocodile' and 'Kleenex' into Google.

I joke from a French-Canadian standup comic:
"America is one of the best place to visit in the whole world. It would have been the best place if it wasn't full of Americans.":P

Thankyou, sir.

Isn't it marshmallows that they like, atleast those in the Bayous of New Orleans, or are they Alligators?

Brian

Thankyou, sir.

Ok, fair enough, I missed it. I'm not feeling myself today:eek:

Its the old "keep elephants away stick" - but there's no elephants round here - yes, works a treat doesn't it.:rolleyes:

Col

Isn't it marshmallows that they like, atleast those in the Bayous of New Orleans, or are they Alligators?

Brian

No, you're right, it's probably marshmallows.
(alligators being too large to throw)

a gun is specifically designed and is built purely to kill something.
Actually it is specifically designed to propel a projectile at significant velocity toward an intended target with a (hopefully) high degree of accuracy. People like you are convinced that means to "kill" something.
BrianWarnock said:
Bodi it is not our fault if we misunderstand why you all have guns, the American posters keep telling us it is for protection, if it is not then please tell us why.
I have, Brian. Several times.

You keep missing the point. Yes, one of the reasons people may cite to own guns is for protection. I do not own guns for protection. I don't know anyone that does. Guns have many uses, ONE of them is indeed protection. This does not equate to every gun owner sitting in their home, drenched in a cold sweat, in mortal fear of the next bad-guy that will attempt to break in to our bars-on-the-windows, doors-chained, alarm-riddled, barbed-wired, EMP hardened, nuclear-bunker-type domiciles.

Well ok, maybe my original question is best answered by some americans who do think that guns are for protection. There is definately the opinion about that having a gun would have made the students at VT safer -

Is there anyone in the US who would recommend I have a gun for safety when I visit my mate who will be at college over there?

Yes Col, I have come round to the idea that in certain areas of the US, people feel they need a gun for protection, so I guess I will too. (In other areas I have been assured I will be OK.)?

Am I right in thinking in the dangerous/crime ridden places I need a gun for protection, (Crack houses in DC) whereas in more civilised locations I would not. (this should be in the lonely planet guide really!)

Now I just need to know which is which for when I go over - I can either avoid the places where even normal folk live in such fear that they need to carry a gun for protection , as I am not really a danger seeker - or perhaps if its somewhere I really want to go - I could protect myself with packing a pistol.
(Not in the luggage you understand - for some reason the need to arm yourself for protection doesn't apply to flights to the US - its only when you get to the US that protection is needed from those around you)

If I did decide to get a gun rather than miss some of these places - can I as a tourist get a gun?

I guess the most logical, safest suggestion is just stay where you are. That may take all the fun out of your sarcastic statements but it should take all of your deep concerns away.

Actually it is specifically designed to propel a projectile at significant velocity toward an intended target with a (hopefully) high degree of accuracy. People like you are convinced that means to "kill" something.

Yes, and a football is specifically designed to hold air within a leather case. However, the reason behind that design is to allow sport to be played.

Guns were invented to allow one person to better kill another.
http://inventors.about.com/od/militaryhistoryinventions/a/firearms_2.htm

I guess the most logical, safest suggestion is just stay where you are. That may take all the fun out of your sarcastic statements but it should take all of your deep concerns away.

You should put that in the tourist brochure!

The statements are not sarcastic - if americans need a gun for protection do I need one. Its the americans who cannot tell me clearly if I need a gun or not. (Only Bodi has offered his opinion which I value - but it seems to be at odds with other opinions of the onwership of guns)

I just want clarification. Not much to ask as a guest of your country is it?:rolleyes:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom