Site Upgrade (1 Viewer)

My father had a fall and broke his back 17 days ago, so lots of hospital visits and tech stuff is on hold
Rightly so. (y)

Reactions: Jon
@Jon - Please pass along to your father my best wishes for a full and speedy recovery. From New Orleans, I can say that I hope that soon, he will be able to adopt our city's slogan: Laissez les bon temps roulez! Let the good times roll! With back injuries there is a chance of paralysis even if the spine ISN'T severed, due to bruising leading to swelling. Hope he doesn't have any serious complications.

I understand what happens for family medical issues. Right now my wife is still all bandaged and the stitches aren't out for her surgery. Though in her case the wound is no longer oozing even a little bit. She has no pain now, 9 days after the surgery, and can walk unassisted most of the time - though she still uses a cane or walker if going outdoors. But because of lifting limitations, yours truly is doing a lot of carrying for her - even the lightweight stuff.

Reactions: Jon
@The_Doc_Man Hopefully your wife gets better soon. Fingers crossed.

The physio said my father might be shipped out to a "cottage" hospital in 5 to 10 days, where they do rehab. The alternative is to stick a hospital bed and winch in the living room at home and have two pairs of carers come 4 times per day, which is costly.

If rehab is in the offing then they expect some level of recovery. That's good news.

My father has had a tough last 6 months regarding falls. He has had 9 of them! I have to help him up, and it takes me up to an hour to get him on his feet again. First, I have to help him get to a sitting position on the floor, which he can't do without my help. That takes a while, believe it or not. Then, I wedge one book under his left bum cheek, ask him to roll to the left, stick another under the right cheek, roll to the right, and so on. Building up this way is the only method I found that works! Can be a bit unstable but has worked so far. When he gets to a sitting position, I can then lift him up to standing position, then lifting from under his arms while he pushes with his feet.

Before going into hospital, he had 3 falls in 2 days. First one, I was in bed and heard him calling out for help. I lept out of bed, got there and he just started to fall and I caught him in time to break the fall. Had to call ambulance to get him to his feet because I currently have a bad back myself and so can't do heavy lifting.

Next he was coming back from the toilet with the zimmer, and I heard him calling out again, he said he was about to collapse, so ran downstairs and held him under his left arm, to help him to his chair. Then the last one, where he fell while washing his hands in the toilet. Had to call the ambulance, and they took him to hospital.

Ouch! Sounds like your dad is having a really tough time. I know what it is like because my wife was in a bad way after her left knee replacement. She was essentially immobilized because of a subsequent staph infection. I had to learn how to home-administer antibiotic infusions and for at least a few weeks, it was all she could do to visit the restroom. Her current situation is much better, and I don't think my situation exactly matches yours, but I have a glimmer of understanding, Jon. Best of luck to you and your father.

Thanks Doc. He has an unstable knee that keeps giving way, hence the falls. I asked the physio and he said he is too old for surgery, so it is only targeted exercise that can help.

Is he a candidate for orthopedic knee braces? Might help.

I asked them about that and they said the only treatment is targeted exercise.

I know that the owner of the site is busy and there are other fixes with higher priorities waiting to be done, I just want this post to be as a reminder of a missing utility after the software upgrade. I, and possibly others who are not interested in politic posts miss this key feature and will appreciate if it can be restored.

Like most other members, I use the "What's new" link above the page, to have a list of all new threads after my last visit.
In previous version, there was a button (link) in front of each title to ignore that thread. In new version this button doesn't show up.
I can ignore a whole sub forum, but can not ignore specific threads.

Again, this post is just as a reminder for to do list. Not urgent, but would be great if it could be restored soon. Some of us don't want to ignore a whole forum, only specific posts in water cooler.

Thanks.

@KitaYama if you go into a thread you can choose Ignore thread at the top:
1723645313100.png

HTH

The ignore feature isn't limited to "threads" you can ignore the entire watercooler, Politics & Current Events, and Debates.

Screenshot 2024-08-14 074557.png

Seems that I wasn't clear enough. I just like the Ignore Thread Icon to be restored.
While having a list of all new threads, there was a button to ignore each thread without opening it.

I'm on my phone and can not search for an image at present.

For a moment I doubt I may be wrong. So asked ChatGPT if I'm dreaming or not.
Seems that ChatGPT has seen the icon I'm talking about.

ChatGPT:
In XenForo, when you click the "What's New" button, you typically see a list of recent posts and threads across the forum that are new since your last visit. To manage these threads or posts more effectively, you can use the "Ignore Thread" option if it's available.

Here’s a step-by-step explanation of how it works:
  1. Viewing New Content:
    • Click the "What's New" button to view a list of new threads and posts since your last visit.
  2. Ignoring a Thread:
    • In the list of new content, look for the option to ignore a thread. This might be presented as a small icon (like a “no entry” symbol) or a link labeled "Ignore Thread" or something similar.

@KitaYama - when you asked your question, did you ask about Xenforo or about the Access World Forums? I don't doubt you (though I've never used the feature myself). But what Xenforo CAN do and what Jon has in the past implemented could be two different things.

@KitaYama - when you asked your question, did you ask about Xenforo or about the Access World Forums? I don't doubt you (though I've never used the feature myself). But what Xenforo CAN do and what Jon has in the past implemented could be two different things.
We use an additional addin to ignore more items.

I asked about Xenforo.
I also asked him to give me some images to share here, but he refused. Told me free version of ChatGPT doesn't offer images.
But advised me to search Youtube, because he has found some videos there.
Here's what I found.
(By the way, referring to an AI, should I use he, she or it?)

Last edited:
Are you saying that it was like that before the site upgrade?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom