Westboro Baptist Church

ColinEssex said:
Thats the basis for religions isn't it?. . . . . deception and hate?

Religion is like fanatical football supporters, they hate any other religion to the extent they will fight and kill on behalf of their "team":rolleyes:

Col

Sorry you feel that way, But on the other hand it seems that you are so anti-religion that you're doing the same thing in the name of your beliefs.

BarryMK said:
You're saying Jim Baker was a man of God? Where on earth do you draw the line?
He started out with a good ministry, ended up flat in the mud. I'm in no way defending his later actions just saying he started out on the right path.

Rich said:
Sounds more like a Sod to me, and a right one at that!

Sod? What does that mean? I understand Sod to be chunks of grass that can be transplanted elsewhere.

Exp.
Mr Smith purchased some sod for this lawn this weekend. It truly brighten up the yard.

I'm trying to expand my British vocabulary and would like to know the meaning. :D

Rich said:
It's polite for twat ;)

Ahhh, I know what that is now. :o

Thanks, I'll add that to my list of British slang.

Yes, it's a handy one to know. "Sod off" is the equivalent of "f@&# off".

Another handy one is "I don't give a toss". Although that's more of a guy phrase.

Kraj said:

Ohh, I like that one alot!!! :D I may put that one to use.

Another handy one is "I don't give a toss". Although that's more of a guy phrase.
What does that mean?

I only know of Bloody Hell (which I use often here at work), Bollucks (sp?) and now Sod Off.......watch out gentlemen. I'm getting a vocabulary. :D

Kraj said:
Its not actually - in the UK it is used by all as a general phrase to mean "go away" or "no way" - "f**k off" is an obscenity - you could say sod off in a meeting but not the latter;) sod off is used frequently on the telly and is not bleeped - the latter is also used on the telly but is bleeped (but you can still lipread it):rolleyes:
e.g. "I'm not doing that. . . . sod off" or "just sod off and leave me alone"

That means "I don't care"

Col

selenau837 said:
I only know of Bloody Hell (which I use often here at work), Bollucks (sp?) and now Sod Off.......watch out gentlemen. I'm getting a vocabulary. :D
The snag is that in the USA it may be deemed personally offensive to say "sod off" (you know how touchy the colonials are:rolleyes: ;) :p ), whereas in the UK its widely used and considered more jokey than offensive.

You may like "sod it" too. Use that when something goes wrong -

"sod it!!, my PC just crashed"

Col

Sod off s a short hand version of bugger off. It is not as offensive as f*ck off nowadays but still can be derogatory or light-hearted depending on the tone. Feck off can also be fairly light-hearted.

dt01pqt said:
Sod off s a short hand version of bugger off. It is not as offensive as f*ck off nowadays but still can be derogatory or light-hearted depending on the tone. Feck off can also be fairly light-hearted.

I can see you've never worked on a building site ;)

ColinEssex said:
Its not actually - in the UK it is used by all as a general phrase to mean "go away" or "no way" - "f**k off" is an obscenity - you could say sod off in a meeting but not the latter;) sod off is used frequently on the telly and is not bleeped - the latter is also used on the telly but is bleeped (but you can still lipread it):rolleyes:

Ah, well it is still something for me to add to my arsenal. :D I'll be swearing like an English Bloke in no time. :eek: ;)

I was once a sweet southern young lady, and now the Brits here have corrupted me. :eek: :o Ohh, what is one to do. I guess I should say---
"Ahhh, Sod it...I just don't give a toss!!" and then smile sweetly and bat my eyes. :D :D

ColinEssex said:
My bad. I was under the impression that the intent was as offensive. I learned something new. :)

So, how would "piss off" (different meaning than in the US) compare with the two on the offensiveness scale?

selenau837 said:
Ah, well it is still something for me to add to my arsenal. :D I'll be swearing like an English Bloke in no time. :eek: ;)
We tend not to swear much:p :D

I was once a sweet southern young lady, and now the Brits here have corrupted me. :eek: :o
Well we do have to try to teach you people from the colonies our English ways

Ohh, what is one to do. I guess I should say---
"Ahhh, Sod it...I just don't give a toss!!" and then smile sweetly and bat my eyes. :D :D
That seems good - you must have a secret English teacher hidden away somewhere;)

Col

Kraj said:
So, how would "piss off" (different meaning than in the US) compare with the two on the offensiveness scale?

Very, very offensive!:mad:

ColinEssex said:
We tend not to swear much:p :D
*chokes, and almost spits her drink onto her computer screen*
Eh, don't swear much! Bloody hell!!!! That's funny!

Well we do have to try to teach you people from the colonies our English ways
I know and such a good job at it too. ;)

That seems good - you must have a secret English teacher hidden away somewhere;)
Maybe I do...and maybe I don't. Only me, myself and them know for sure. ;)

Kraj said:

Rich said:
Very, very offensive!

"Piss off!" is used sometimes as a last warning before you hit someone - as in

"Look - just piss off will you?"

Its slightly more offensive than calling someone (say) a "horses ass"

Col

selenau837 said:
*chokes, and almost spits her drink onto her computer screen*
Nice cup of tea is it?
Eh, don't swear much! Bloody hell!!!! That's funny!
I no not where you get such ideas from :confused: - certainly not from anyone on the forum from this side of the pond :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Col

ColinEssex said:
Nice cup of tea is it?
Nope, Coke Zero!! Gotta keep the balls of my nice new tongue ring shiny. And the coke should do it. :D

ColinEssex said:
I no not where you get such ideas from :confused: - certainly not from anyone on the forum from this side of the pond :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
Col

AH!!!!!!!! Right!! you're sooooo funny Col......*laughs out loud**

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom