Why deleting members name from replies? (1 Viewer)

KitaYama

Local time
Today, 16:36
It may seem to be a stupid question, but I'm just curious to know the reason behind this.

When you reply to someone, the software creates a quote with the name of the member above it.
The member who has been replied to receives a notification and others who read the conversation can see whom you're talking to.

But I see some experts delete the name above the quote. It makes it so hard to understand who has been addressed, specially when a discussion grows through several pages and several days. Then I find myself searching the page with the same phrase to see whom comment has been replied to.

At first there were only two members who used to do this, but it seems it's a trend and recently it's very popular to reply to a comment and deleting the name above the quote.

I'm just curious to see if there's any privilege on this? To me it's one more step for the expert (deleting the name) and 0 gain.
Is there really any reason for this behaviour?

Thanks

Last edited:

arnelgp

..forever waiting... waiting for jellybean!
Local time
Today, 15:36
i am quoting the name of "Uncle Gizmo", which definitely is not one of them.

moke123

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 03:36
Do you mean like this?

The member who has been replied to receives a notification

The member who has been replied to receives a notification

Could just be how they copied the text. Select and hit the reply button, or a copy, paste, and add the quotes.

In the first instance they would get a notification, in the 2nd they wouldn't.

KitaYama

Local time
Do you mean like this?

Could just be how they copied the text. Select and hit the reply button, or a copy, paste, and add the quotes.
I don't know which method they use. maybe a copy paste and quote as you explained.
My main concern was why not mentioning whom the reply is addressed to. Either by being deleted or using a method that doesn't add the name.

Personally, I select the section I want to reply to. The software gives me floating button. I simply click this floating button.
It adds the name and the notification. Much simpler.
Something like this:

2023-06-28_13-53-01.png

Last edited:

AccessBlaster

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 00:36
it does seem like an extra step to delete the OP from the conversation.

moke123

AWF VIP
Local time
I tend to think it's a copy and paste issue. For instance someone may ask several questions in a post and the responder cuts and pastes each section to respond to individually.

I just tried to delete just the "KitaYama said" part of the quote and it wont let you,

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 02:36
It may seem to be a stupid question, but I'm just curious to know the reason behind this.

When you reply to someone, the software creates a quote with the name of the member above it.
The member who has been replied to receives a notification and others who read the conversation can see whom you're talking to.

But I see some experts delete the name above the quote. It makes it so hard to understand who has been addressed, specially when a discussion grows through several pages and several days. Then I find myself searching the page with the same phrase to see whom comment has been replied to.

At first there were only two members who used to do this, but it seems it's a trend and recently it's very popular to reply to a comment and deleting the name above the quote.

I'm just curious to see if there's any privilege on this? To me it's one more step for the expert (deleting the name) and 0 gain.

Thanks

I may be guilty of doing that sometimes, though I try to be consistent about it.

Moke123 is correct, but I'll explain anyway. When you highlight text in a post, the Reply option immediately shows up. And if it is the first quote of my reply, I take that option. But if I am quoting someone more than once for the same reply (and from the same post), I might just highlight another part of the text, right-click, and hit Copy (or hit CTRL/C). Then I use the quote marks on the post's formatting and options menu to cause the quote to be highlighted - but without attribution to a specific person. So it is not that I removed a particular name, but that I never took it in the first place. (Well, in that context... 2nd place.) But that's my habit, my style of posting. Don't read anything else into it if I do it.

It also happens when I am in a running dialog with someone. You may have noticed that Isaac and I have run-ins regarding religion. We go back and forth, and sometimes I won't use the Reply option, I'll just copy/paste.

cheekybuddha

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 08:36
When you manually add a quote by hitting the quote button on the toolbar, there is no easy way to add the username of whoever you are quoting.

How do I add attribution here?

I have to 'discover' the 'Toggle BB Code' button ( [ ] ) and manually add the username in the correct format - very tricky if you don't know how!

SomeUserName said:
Blah blah blah

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
I do it all the time. I just select the text rather than the entire message as many do. I never noticed the floating button. But then I usually address the person by name in the reply.

KitaYama

Local time
My apologies to all.
I thought it's been deleted on purpose. Seems that not only it's not possible to delete the names, and it's been the result of a copy & paste in replying.

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time

Thanks

To be totally honest with you ... I have noticed that too, only consistently with some. I find it only a little bit annoying, but also understand that it may be strategic, and not necessarily in a "wrong" way .... Just strategic.

What I'd be VERY curious about is whether doing that (removing that OP's name in orange font), actually tricks the web system into not notifying the OP who was quoted as it normally might. Now that would be a cool trick to know! not sure why, but I'm sure it could be useful LOL

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
me. I just selec

But that's not correct - when you only select some text, and click the black pop-up "Reply" to JUST that bit of selected text, it DOES still include the OP's name in the quote. Like I'm doing now.

It would have to be manually removed ? AFAIK

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
Now THAT is a cool trick!

It's also a cool trick to mess with the web code when you post a URL that you'd rather not be "unfurled", which apparently means automatically embedding a summary several inches thick in the display, without asking you first

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 02:36
On your point about unfurling some URLs, @Isaac, I don't see a way to select that option, and I have looked at least briefly. I suspect but can't prove that it is more about some web site's permissions and settings than about AWS or browser settings. For instance, web sites can restrict unfurling if you are in the wrong country. Some web sites require an actual visit to unfurl, rather than a simple reference. I'm working as a staff member and for that particular feature, I don't see anything different than when I wasn't a staff member.

AccessBlaster

Registered User.
Local time
Turns out not everyone uses the "floating reply" button. They simply right-click and use the browser popup menu to copy, no controversy.

1687978836495.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom