Are you an atheist?

Are you an atheist?

• Total voters
Last week, there was a perfect example of why I am against religion specifically, and belief in an all powerful god in general. Obama and McCain sat down with Rick Warren to answer the questions about faith, as if that has anything to do with electing a president.
It seems pretty clear that it has a lot to do with electing a US president. Whether it should,however, is a different matter.

Even if it was a discussion on whether ghosts exist, if enough voters rate it as important, it becomes important.

We can't proove that Santa doesn't exist either, it's just a rumour started by bloody kids!
Its not a rumour. Santa does exist. He brings me beautiful hand made presents every year. of course you only get the presents if you have behaved well for the whole year so thats why not many people get a visit from him leading to the rumour that he is imaginary.

Just try behaving properly for the whole of 2009 and see what happens. Of course you have to believe in him as well.:D

It seems pretty clear that it has a lot to do with electing a US president. Whether it should,however, is a different matter.

Even if it was a discussion on whether ghosts exist, if enough voters rate it as important, it becomes important.

See I agree that the candidates should talk about things that are important to the voters, but I just don't see that that is actually the case. For instance, a majority of the American people think that it is the government's responsibility to guarentee that everyone has access to basic medical care, and almost 80% of the population thinks that health care in this country is a crisis.

But the candidates hardly mention it at all. McCain has no health care plan, and Obama's plan for universal care conflicts with the statement in the democratic platform that every American should have guarenteed access to care.

Instead of talking about this, or god forbid DOING something about it, everyone spends hours arguing about when life begins, which, let's face it, nobody will every be able to say for sure. Meanwhile they spend almost no time talking about caring for the people who are, without a doubt, already alive.

See I agree that the candidates should talk about things that are important to the voters, but I just don't see that that is actually the case. For instance, a majority of the American people think that it is the government's responsibility to guarentee that everyone has access to basic medical care, and almost 80% of the population thinks that health care in this country is a crisis.

But the candidates hardly mention it at all. McCain has no health care plan, and Obama's plan for universal care conflicts with the statement in the democratic platform that every American should have guarenteed access to care.

Instead of talking about this, or god forbid DOING something about it, everyone spends hours arguing about when life begins, which, let's face it, nobody will every be able to say for sure. Meanwhile they spend almost no time talking about caring for the people who are, without a doubt, already alive.
I think that's entirely the point (and not just in the US). If you argue about genuine issues, you run the risk of being proven wrong. If you stick to theoretical issues, you can always insist you're right, as can your opponent.

A lot of people in the US seem to believe in the idea of universal health care, a lot of people don't. You only have to see some of the posts on this forum to understand that there is no shortage of people who would rather see many of their countrymen die off than have the state 'interfere' by helping them out.

The fantasy you have of yourself as a gentleman is as pathetic and laughable as the fantasy of you being a rockstar!

Do carry on though!

Oh goody the source of all reasoned, temperate argument is back, you have been sorely missed. Unlike you with your head so far up your arse that you can probably see dinner coming, at least I can poke fun at myself and my "superstar" status. If that's pathetic what the F*** does that make you?

As for fantasies, you deceive yourself if you think I have any interest in your opinions. You are the first person here to go on my ignore list so rant away I won't see any of your crap in future.

I wonder how many friends you have on these boards? It shouldn't take long to count them.
Cheerio

In my mind, the rise of religiosity in this country is correlated to the current propensity to view every moral issue in black and white. Every tricky issue is boiled down to one clear cut position, and no moral ambiguity is allowed to intrude. That is why politicians can't discuss real issues.

On health care for instance, according to the religious right, we who want some sort of government system, at least to handle the insurance side of things, just want a hand out. Never mind that no hand out would be involved. Never mind that charity for the poor is supposed to be a Christian value. Never mind the exorbitant price of medical care and drugs. Never mind the billions of dollars in profits that are going to the private insurers. Never mind all of the countries that have workable systems providing medical care to all of their people. Never mind the tens of thousands of people that die every year for lack of basic medical care.

On abortion, we who favor a women's right to choose are pro-abortionists who go around convincing women to kill their babies according to their paradigm. Never mind if the woman was raped. Never mind if her health may be compromised by carrying the baby. Never mind if she doesn't feel prepared to raise a child at that point in time. Never mind if she is 14 years old and wants to finish high school. Never mind that criminalizing abortion only makes it more dangerous, not less common. As I was driving the other day, I actually saw a big van with a huge blown up photo of a bloody, almost full term, aborted fetus plastered accross the side with the caption, God have mercy on us. Well, if god condones that sort of behaviour, I don't think mercy is one of his traits.

Sorry to rant on a bit. I am just furious that god and religious belief are a shelter for this sort of nonsense.

We can't proove that Santa doesn't exist either, it's just a rumour started by bloody kids!

Can too prove he exists! AND he's ubiquitous - he manages to be in every shop at the same time from the beginning of December right up to 24th December (it will be earlier this year though, because they are already selling Christmyth stuff in the shops!).

And just don't start on the tooth fairy either. You haven't met my dentist !

I think this part was the funniest part of that entire put down. :D

I thought that the funniest part too - whos left to need to say Cheerio? As I understand it - Barry has just spat his dummy, closed his eyes, put his fingers in his ears and is singing # la la la la frantically to himself.

Cheerio Barry. Pat him on the head and say Bless!

I'm thinking maybe this is Barry -
http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2001/jul/02/jilldando.media a true gent (ignore the previous convictions), with limited mental capacity and delusions of rock stardom.

Yeh Barry - I'll have a signed photo.

Barry and I both find it funny - not necessarily in the same way.

Mike! Is that really you - I would ask what happened but we really don't want to go there. :(

Welcome back - :)

If that is the case then it might be a bit weak as I voted Agnostic again:D

That just means that you are flaunting god's will, and you will be punished in the afterlife for not voting correctly on this poll.

What does that mean? Is it a cricket term?

Sounds obscene.

I/m not too sure if Barry is obscene or not - who knows what rockstars and middle england gents do behing closed doors?

Perhaps - hes got a orange in his mouth, tights on and a plastic bag over his head? The way a gentleman rockstar would?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Erotic_asphyxia

I just meant hed removed his soother - how he replaced the tit fixation - I can only guess?

If it was not close to bed time in Sydney and start of day in England I might briefly pass Rich's post count:D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom