Are you an atheist?

Are you an atheist?

• Total voters
No doubt it is possible for the faithful to be convinced of something they refuse to question. Your signature suggests that such proof is obvious yet offers nothing substantial.

Why did you suggest that the faithful, as you put it, refuse to question? Surely my signature shows that I did question but at the same time you yourself placed no thought about it. A contradiction in terms me thinks.

Why did you suggest that the faithful, as you put it, refuse to question? Surely my signature shows that I did question but at the same time you yourself placed no thought about it. A contradiction in terms me thinks.

Your signature shows no evidence of any questioning at all. This is demonstrated your apparent acceptance of the clearly inadequate and inaccurate explanation you are offered by the Koran, "We made from water every living thing."

How do you presume I have no thought about it? For all my considerable years I have sought to comprehend the origin of the universe and everything in it. I have a working understanding of Relativity and Quantum Mechanics.

I have also studied the explanations offered by religion and found them entirely worthless.

On the contrary the verse in the signature did say something in that science and God's Scripture match. If you wish to ignore this, then that is of course up to you. Oh and BTW every source of life does stem from water. I would have thought that you would know that at least. Why provide water to humans, animals, plants, etc.

Here's a verse telling us something about the end of the universe: -

The Day when We shall roll up the heavens as a recorder rolleth up a written scroll. As We began the first creation, We shall repeat it. (It is) a promise (binding) upon Us. Lo! We are to perform it.
Qur’an - Surah al-Anbiyaa (The Prophets) 21:104 See also 10:34, 27:64, 39:67 and 50:15.

In the scientific field the end of the universe will collapse in on itself (The Big Crunch as it's called) which the imagery being given in the verse. We also know that as the universe collapses and gets dense, it will result in a singularity and a new big bang will occur.

http://www.scribd.com/doc/12953271/Islam-Pure-and-Simple

Here a couple of more verses to flect on.

Moreover He comprehended in His design the heaven, and it had been (as) smoke: He said to it and to the earth: "Come ye together, willingly or unwillingly." They said: "We do come (together), in willing obedience."
Qur’an - Surah Fussilat (Explained in Detail) 41:11 See also 2:29 and 13:2.

“The heaven, We have built it with (Our creative) power. Verily, it is We who are steadily expanding it.”
Qur’an - Surah az-Zaariyat (The Winnowing Winds) 51:47

On the contrary the verse in the signature did say something in that science and God's Scripture match. If you wish to ignore this, then that is of course up to you.

I am familiar with the ludicrous concept popular among Muslims that their scripture matches science. It is born of a desperation to see their holy text as authoritative on all matters.

Oh and BTW every source of life does stem from water. I would have thought that you would know that at least. Why provide water to humans, animals, plants, etc.

And you would know that there is a lot more to life than water. To claim it "stems from water" is simplistic notion. Life also needs carbon, nitrogen, iron and dozens of other elements that are not "water".

Here's a verse telling us something about the end of the universe: -

The Day when We shall roll up the heavens as a recorder rolleth up a written scroll. As We began the first creation, We shall repeat it. (It is) a promise (binding) upon Us. Lo! We are to perform it.
Qur’an - Surah al-Anbiyaa (The Prophets) 21:104 See also 10:34, 27:64, 39:67 and 50:15.

In the scientific field the end of the universe will collapse in on itself (The Big Crunch as it's called) which the imagery being given in the verse. We also know that as the universe collapses and gets dense, it will result in a singularity and a new big bang will occur.

We would be waiting a long time to see if this is correct. However current observations show the expansion of the Universe is accelerating, suggesting that the future is one of utter diffuseness rather than a crunch.

And you would know that there is a lot more to life than water. To claim it "stems from water" is simplistic notion. Life also needs carbon, nitrogen, iron and dozens of other elements that are not "water".

I agree with your point, however, what we do know is that what is "required" for life is not set in stone. It used to be taught and fully believed that six main elements were needed for life: carbon, hydrogen, nitrogen, oxygen, phosphorus and sulfur. I remember reading an article a few years ago about a microbe found that replaced phosphorus with arsenic, an element always thought to be too unstable to EVER support life. This changed things.

Does anyone know a fact or statement in the Bible that disagrees with true Science?

Does anyone know a fact or statement in the Bible that disagrees with true Science?

Define fact. How about, a burning bush that talks? Someone resurrecting from the dead (in the method the Bible says Jesus did, not from being buried mistakenly.)

Hey Vassago, just noticed that your from Jax, I use to go to NAS Jax for my week end warrior time. My favorite Restaurant Sam’s St. John Sea Food. Have you been there?
I guess I didn't make myself clear. Sorry for that. (True Science) A proven Scientific Theory, such as the world is round. At one time we all know that people taught the world was flat. True science proved the world is round.

Of course we need other elements to create life, but the point was that water is a must as an ingredient to begin all life forms.

And Allaah has created every animal from water: of them there are some that creep on their bellies; some that walk on two legs; and some that walk on four. Allaah creates what He wills for verily Allaah has power over all things.
Qur’an - Surah an-Nur (The Light) 24:45

“He (God) caused you to grow from the earth (ard).”
Qur’an - Surah Hud (The Prophet Hud) 11:61

12. We fashioned man from the quintessence (sulatat) of a clay (tiyn - water and earth).
13. Then placed him as a drop (nutfah - of seed) in a place of rest, firmly fixed (qararin makin);
14. We fashioned the thing which clings (alaq) into a lump of chewed flesh (mudrat) and We fashioned the chewed flesh (mudrat) into bones and We clothed the bones with intact flesh (lahm), and then produced it as another creation. So blessed be Allaah, the Best of creators!
Qur’an - Surah al-Mu`minoon (The Cleaving) 23:12-4 See also 39:6 and 77:20-22.

The opening verses of the Book of Genesis regarding 6 earthly days of creation of the universe.

The opening verses of the Book of Genesis regarding 6 earthly days of creation of the universe.

Islamist debating with a Christian over the authenticity of their respective holy books - priceless.

We non-believers can sit back on this one:p

Such contradictions. Water and clay maybe ... but chewed flesh to make bones?

Only the profoundly bewitched could look at these statements and see it as a prior revelation to science.

Those bewitched by the Bible also manipulate the interpretation of the words in a futile attempt to converge with science.

It is all quite silly and incredibly arrogant to presume that ancient ignorant men could have dreamed up the keys to ultimate truth.

It is all quite silly and incredibly arrogant to presume that ancient ignorant men could have dreamed up the keys to ultimate truth.

And modern ignorant men fall prey to it.:banghead:

Islamist debating with a Christian over the authenticity of their respective holy books - priceless.

We non-believers can sit back on this one

Watch you don't fall over when you are laughing.

Watch you don't fall over when you are laughing.

It is all in good fun. I've had my share of debates with both sides (more Christians of course), and they've been fiery at times. But in my experience, the most heated debates are between 2 people of differing religions.

About the only thing I can compare it to in my own life is when I was young and argued with other youngsters about which superhero would win in a superhero fight.

I hope Adam that if I do have a debate with someone of a different faith it doesn't resort to a heated debate. What would be the point. In my experience we end up saying things we ultimately regret.

Invite (all) to the Way of thy Lord with wisdom and beautiful preaching; and argue with them in ways that are best and most gracious: for thy Lord knoweth best, who have strayed from His Path, and who receive guidance.
Qur’an – Surah an-Nahl (The Bee) 16:125

Most religious debates end up heated from my experience. People are easily offended when it comes to their beliefs, especially if you make a valid point that they can't counter. That's where the whole "faith" word comes in and I lose by default. I can't argue against lack of proof and blind belief.

How about dinosaurs? True science proves that dinosaurs roamed the Earth millions of years ago. There's plenty of evidence that humans roamed the Earth tens of thousands of years ago. Many Christians insist the universe is less than 10,000 years old based on estimations from the Bible. How is this possible?

And yes, I've eaten at St. Johns S&S more than once, but I'm not much of a seafood fan. I know that's strange coming from a Floridian. :D I grew up on the Westside, so I know NAS Jax well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom