Are you an atheist?

Are you an atheist?

• Total voters
Any provable scientific facts match with the Qur'an.

Does anyone know a fact or statement in the Bible that disagrees with true Science?
In the book of Kings (or may be Chronicles) an incorrect value is given for Pi. Value in bible is 3 corect value is 3.14etc.

But what about the stuff in the Qur'an that doesn't match with provable science?

Vassago
Your right dinosaurs roam the earth and the Bible says so and science says so. As far as how long ago I have not seen any evidence. Even carbon dating has been prove to be false. Then on the other side of the coin it is hard for me to pin how long ago from the Bible. Some so call Christian claim they can but they can't prove it. It really doesn't matter what Christian say, or non believes say. My first post is really looking for someone to come back with something, I can't in my own mind defend. Floridian that is not 100% Sea Food now that’s a sin. <G>

Last edited:
Vassago
Your right dinosaurs roam the earth and the Bible says so and science says so. As far as how long ago I have not seen any evidence. Even carbon dating has been prove to be false. Then on the other side of the coin it is hard for me to pin how long ago from the Bible. Some so call Christian claim they can but they can't prove it. It really doesn't matter what Christian say, or non believes say. My first post is really looking for someone to come back with something, I can't in my own mind defend. Floridian that is not 100% Sea Food now that’s a sin. <G>

Carbon dating has only been proven as false as much as Roswell was invaded by aliens. It's still over-whelmingly accepted by the scientific community as accurate. True, they can't get a precise date, but they can tell if something is millions of years old. It's relatively impossible dinosaurs existed thousands of years ago. There's also no exact mention or description of dinosaurs in the Bible, only references to "beasts" that COULD HAVE been dinosaurs. We just don't know.

And yes, I've actually read the Bible, entirely, unlike most "Christians" I know. lol I've also read the Qu'ran and many other religious books. I keep an open mind about it. Understanding the key differences and similarities between them is paramount in realizing they (out of religions from that region) all have a central ancestor, much like the religious beliefs of the Greeks and Romans and their similarities.

In a book by Arthur C.Clarke, "The Last Theorem", inoculation against religion is available. Pity it's only SF and not IRL.

Vassago,
You’re right on this point. How can Christian claim anything if they haven’t read the book?

Only for those who presume that the Qur'an is infallible. It takes a remarkably loose interpretation of the Qur'an to make the connection.

Why would an omnipotent being stumble over proving its own existence?

But what about the stuff in the Qur'an that doesn't match with provable science?

Just making a statement like doesn’t mean much. You need to provide an example for discussion.

Only for those who presume that the Qur'an is infallible. It takes a remarkably loose interpretation of the Qur'an to make the connection.

The verses on science are remarkably precise. When you say ‘loose interpretation’ again you need to provide an example for discussion.

And you would know that there is a lot more to life than water. To claim it "stems from water" is simplistic notion. Life also needs carbon, nitrogen, iron and dozens of other elements that are not "water".

7. (God) is the One who created you, then fashioned you harmoniously and in due proportion;
8. Into whatsoever form He willed, He made you out of components.
Qur’an - Surah al-Infitaar (The Believers) 82:7-8 See also 56:57-62, 87:2.

The verses on science are remarkably precise. When you say ‘loose interpretation’ again you need to provide an example for discussion.

How about the one about bones being made of "chewed flesh"?

Let's face it, you can't even see what is in front of you because you are completely bewitched by a ridiculous book written by ancient, ignorant, misogynist men.

You have been indoctrinated by arrogant fools since the day you were born, like dozens of generations of your ancestors before you and wouldn't recognise a sensible thought on the subject if you tripped over it.

Galaxiom misogynist men. You don't include Christian men in that mix do you? I certainly understand the other group.

Definitely. Misogyny has been integral with the Abrahamic faiths since their inception. Have you not read the Bible?

Eve copped the whole blame for the Original Sin. In fact God decreed that all women shall suffer increased pain in childbirth forever as a punishment. (Genesis 3:16)

Women are assigned a subordinate role to men. (More places in the Bible than I care to mention).

The Church still discriminates against women to this day.

It was only in the twentieth century where women were afforded political rights and only very recently other civil rights. These only were possible through the steady demise of religious influence including that within the Christian churches.

Last edited:
Genesis 3:16
New International Version (NIV)

16 To the woman he said,

“I will make your pains in childbearing very severe;
with painful labor you will give birth to children.
Your desire will be for your husband,
and he will rule over you. ”

http://www.ebonmusings.org/atheism/relationship.html

[God] says that women are worth about half as much as men (Leviticus 27:3-7), and that a woman who gives birth to a girl child is ritually unclean for twice as long as if she had given birth to a boy (Leviticus 12:1-7). He allows men to have multiple wives (Solomon had hundreds), but never women to have multiple husbands. He says that men are to rule over women and women are to submit themselves to men (Genesis 3:16, 1 Corinthians 11:3, 1 Peter 3:1); even more so, he says that women are the property of men (Exodus 20:17, which includes wives along with houses, cattle, slaves, and other things that "belong" to one's neighbor). He forbids women to make promises without the permission of their husband or father (Numbers 30:2-13), a trait that would be very typical of an abusive relationship. He demands that women remain silent in church and says it is a "shame" for them to speak there (1 Corinthians 14:34-35), and says that women may not teach men, but must learn from them in silence (1 Timothy 2:11-12). The consistent message of the Bible is that women are inferior to men in virtually every way.

I am not bound by the OT, and secondly I thought we were talking about how muslins view / treat women, a apposed as Christian men view women I guess I was mistaken. My observation of some so called Christian men is they bow down to women, which of course is wrong on the other direction. My wife is my equal but we have different roles as agreed between us. That is not to say that all couples would come to the same agreement.

Galaxiom,
I respect your right to have the position you have. It doesn’t offend me in the least and I don’t think any less of you or anyone else who chooses not to believe. That is one of the reason I was a swab jockey for 22 years. If I am not being to personal, however, what religion were you brought up in before you became an unbeliever. If this is too personal, don’t answer and I will understand?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom