British Television

KenHigg

Local time
Today, 00:47
I was flipping through the cable this weekend and came across a show called 'Little Britain' and was curious; Is this show popular in the UK? If so, what age group does it appeal to the most?

I believe that it is popular with those of a certain mental illness.

Brian

It has won various awards but I've never seen it - only clips and it looks stupid:rolleyes:

Col

The show is one of those horrible sketch shows that I tend to call catchphrase comedy in which the same sketches are repeated over and over and over again each week with the situation changed (supermarket one week, swimming pool the next) but the punchline being the same, based on each characters' catchphrase.

It's popular in the UK amongst the student demographic. By the third series it was clear the the two "comedians" responsible for it had run out of ideas and were just scribbling any old crap down. Absolute nonsense.

Other catchphrase comedies to avoid: The Catherine Tate Show, The Karen Dunbar Show, The Fast Show, Harry Enfield, Chewin' The Fat.

Best British sketch shows of recent years: Man Bites Woman and Big Train.

I was sort of amazed a the sketch that was on; Two guys were dressed in some kind of suits that made them look like overweight naked women. It all looked real and they were really gross as they made comments as they bent over, etc...

I wondered how this was allowed when stuff like Benny Hill was considered inappropriate towards women...

A great show!

Particularly like Tom Baker's narration.

Lou and Andy - (scene where Andy spoils Lou's chances with his Polish girlfriend)

and Vicky Pollard.

The show is in part very true to what Britain is like.

Absolutely hilarious show, from my experience all age groups enjoy it, i think it just depends on what type of sence of humour you have.

The less you have, the better, eh? ;)

Oi, i have a good sence of humour thank you, haha. Yes Rich i probably do need to spread my wings, although im only 21, give me a little time :)

Rich said:
I bloody hope not! :mad:

Vicky Pollards , Daffyds and Majorie Dawes's are everwhere and the exageration for comic effect is tiny!

The first 2 series were very good - but they should leave it now as its getting repetative -

The first 2 series were very good - but they should leave it now as its getting repetative -

GaryPanic said:
GaryPanic said:

:D :D :D

They have stopped it now hav'nt they? Thought they finished it with the xmas special? :( Unfortunately lol

Bloody hell! I'm glad I read this, I thought Little Britain was a reality show.:confused:

We (wife=British; me=Yank) catch it on BBC America now and then. I think it's quite funny, but then...I suspect my wife has brainwashed me to think that anything British is far superior to anything American.

Advice from a slightly Anglicised American:
If you see a British show that you don't understand, wait a while until Hollywood copies it and they will dumb it down enough so you can follow along.

If you think that's a load of rubbish, I only have two words for you...
The Office.

Sergeant said:
We (wife=British; me=Yank) . . . .I suspect my wife has brainwashed me to think that anything British is far superior to anything American.
No need for brainwashing when the truth is spoken.;) Thats why GWB has such a problem.

Col

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom