Gun violence (2 Viewers)

Or it could be your kid coming home late from the bar, was locked out and didn't want to wake you.
Moke, all of the legal gun owners i know teach their children to use their common sense. They don't sneak in the house at night and they don't play with the firearms.

For the record, I have sympathy for those deep into an addiction that has spun their mind into such a mess they are compelled to break into homes and do these things. In fact, whenever I hear the hypothetical what would you do if you won the lottery tomorrow, my answer has been the same for years. I think I would dedicate my life or at least start an organization to assist those people in improving their lives. Indeed, I currently have a limited amount involvement in just such an effort. (That is what ought happen, Christians ministering to those. NOT the government, which is a very different proposition=stealing from the half who pay taxes.)

But alas I must work for my pay most of the day.

Regardless, obviously in the case of an emergency, myself and my family's well-being comes first.

Last edited:
Moke, all of the legal gun owners i know teach their children to use their common sense. They don't sneak in the house at night and they don't play with the firearms.
Hope they also teach them to like lots of Mayo

Hope they also teach them to like lots of Mayo

That's a tough one. At Wendy's I ask for extra mayo on the dollar chicken sandwiches because they're usually dry. Most of the time the employee goes nuts and puts a gallon of it.
But I've only gone as far as shaking my head lolol

@moke123 I happen to agree that there is no place in this world for guns. They were designed to kill people and they do. BUT not of their own volition. People kill people. Guns don't kill anything. Are you also going to take the knives from my kitchen? How about my car? How about my mother's cane? How about the pen I write with? In the wrong hands, pretty much anything can be used to kill. Will you leave us with nothing that isn't soft? Then we are left with our hands or drugs. We can drown people or hang them. People who want to hurt other people will ALWAYS find a way.

So, If I could wave my magic wand and remove all the guns from the world along with the knowledge of how to make new ones, I would do it in a heartbeat. However, I don't have that power. The genie is out of the bottle and there is no putting it back. That leaves us with reality. If the bad guys have guns regardless of how they obtained them, then the good guys need guns also. You can't take guns away from the good guys and expect that to fix the problem. The good guys aren't the ones killing people. Thinking that removing guns from the hands of the good guys solves anything is simply idiotic or as we say Left-Think. But then, what is common sense to people who think it is right to let criminals who commit crimes while packing go free and punish the victims of graffiti with fines?

Are you saying that American parents tell their children not to sneak into the house late at night because daddy or mummy will shoot you?
Col

It seems most Americans here own a gun of some sort. So, the two obvious questions are, a) has anyone here shot anyone dead or wounded, and b) does anyone here go out and kill or wound animals, like deer or bears?
(I bet the answers if any are no)
Col

It seems most Americans here own a gun of some sort. So, the two obvious questions are, a) has anyone here shot anyone dead or wounded, and b) does anyone here go out and kill or wound animals, like deer or bears?
Col

I Bought mine for recreational purposes so no on your questions.

I am not big on killing things, I will go out of my way not to kill incects especially spiders.

Are you saying that American parents tell their children not to sneak into the house late at night because daddy or mummy will shoot you?
Col
It's not like they're crashing in through a broken window. And can't we look before we shoot??

Col
No and no.
But that's only because I live in a desert environment.
Both my parents and one of my brothers are active with a gun outside in farm,forest area

It's not like they're crashing in through a broken window. And can't we look before we shoot??
He was 14

She was 16

He was 14

Just google it to see how many more you can find.

I really didn't want to post here. I resisted up to page 10. Mostly because of the differences in our societies and nobody listens to what the other side has to say. Everyone is just defending his beliefs and trying to prove he's right and the other side is wrong. I know this kind of arguments have been around for ages and no one can satisfy the opposite side.

@Isaac Out of curiosity. I have a question for you. I don't want to say you are wrong. Because possibly you are not.
But have you ever lived in a country that Gun is banned? I mean living. Not a trip or stay. Because what tourists see is different with what residents feel. I mean have you ever lived a life in a country without side arms?

Last edited:
@KitaYama It happens all the time. I'm sure others have heard the stories of the drunken neighbor who went into the wrong house.

It even happens with animals

@Isaac Out of curiosity. I have a question for you. I don't want to say you are wrong. Because possibly you are not.
But have you ever lived in a country that Gun is banned? I mean living. Not a trip or stay. Because what tourists see is different with what residents feel. I mean have you ever lived a life in a country without side arms?

My wife (of 25 years) is from Mexico and I have spent a lot of time there. Admittedly, it is not living there - i.e., I didn't rent an apartment for a long period of time. But it also certainly was not the tourist experience, it was living with family for weeks at a time and I go there quite a bit now for 25 years. I have been thoroughly immersed in the culture, society, norms, habits and general daily life of the northern portion of Mexico (Chihuahua state).

The average person does not carry a gun, in fact it is rare for the "average good citizen" to carry a gun, and the overall situation is horrible. For the most part, the people who have guns are criminals - not just cartels, but muggers, robbers, kidnappers, etc.

The only people who ended up with guns are the bad guys, and the good guys usually have no defense.

I am also aware that there are countries where there are virtually no guns and things have worked great!
It just depends, obviously, on many factors, probably dozens of factors ranging from corruption to consistent prosecution to cultural norms and many more.

I will not attempt to make any blanket statement that would apply to all countries as that would be impossible & silly. In some countries the "normal people don't have guns" mantra exists, and they are quite peaceful. In other countries the same mantra exists, and they are horribly violent. It would be a waste of time to try to extrapolate a single, simple rule based on just those few facts, but my experience with Mexico may give you at least something to think about. In fact the situation with Mexico is so bad (in some places, during some seasons), that if I lived there, I would probably begin the process of secretly owning and sometimes carrying a gun even if it was illegal.

Note: I have noticed much non-American reaction to this discussion centers around the assumption that Americans wish the situation to be exactly as it is. That would be a false assumption. As Pat said, if guns didn't exist, that would be wonderful. I have no affinity to them.

But once you are born in an environment where guns are prolific, you only have two choices: Join the club and get one too, or be defenseless.
Despite the popular stereotypes of Americans, those 99% of the citizenry who make choice #1 are not necessarily gun-crazy-lovers.
They just don't want to be defenseless. Maybe you would do the same thing? We have a saying here "Don't bring a knife to a gunfight"

If I could push a button tomorrow and guns would then cease to exist, I would consider doing so. I don't love guns, but I do value my life.

I really didn't want to post here. I resisted up to page 10. Mostly because of the differences in our societies and nobody listens to what the other side has to say. Everyone is just defending his beliefs and trying to prove he's right and the other side is wrong. I know this kind of arguments have been around for ages and no one can satisfy the opposite side.
Each of the deaths you cited is an unfortunate tragedy. Our nation has over 334 Million people. Mistakes happen, fortunately the probability is rare. The mistaken use of a gun that results in a horrible tragedy should not sensationalized as a basis for taking away everyone's right to own a gun.

In 2020, 24 children died in a hot car. (National Safety Council)
Do the two examples above mean all cars should be banned to protect the children?

Last edited:
Just google it to see how many more you can find.

I see and value your point - and thank you for making it. If only somehow we could be all-knowing like God, we could then "know" the precise net effect of normal (non-criminal) citizens owning guns. Do they cause more innocent suffering? Or does the times they protect someone outweigh the accidental tragedies? One side publishes all 1 thing (CNN, MSNBC, NPR), the other side publishes a mixture - but slanted toward the other thing (Fox, etc), and nobody wants to stop and admit we have no way to weigh it all in the scales. I do know guns are used frequently to protect and prevent crime. Many times just the bringing out of a gun or the firing of a shot will send the criminal attacker running (similar to the way dogs barking do).

Do I pretend to know the ultimate nation-wide net effect? No....nobody does, or can. So I'm suspicious of any attempt to take them away from law abiding citizens, because I am 99% sure our idiot government will NEVER figure out how to keep them out of the hands of criminals - they'll ALWAYS be able to get them.

Why am I so sure? Think of the war on drugs..............

@Isaac As I mentioned above, I don't want to say you are wrong and possibly you are right. Because I've never been in a country that gun is allowed, So I can not judge about your situation or how things work in your society.
I only beg please don't forget : The society, Police and your government must protect you not your side arm. I mean I see everyone's logic is : If the bad guys have guns regardless of how they obtained them, then the good guys need guns also.

And I think you have forgotten that Police, law and the government should protect you.
If you feel unsafe in a gun controlled society, the question should be : what the hell Police do?
You are running the wrong way telling me I need a gun too, because the bad guy has one.

@Isaac As I mentioned above, I don't want to say you are wrong and possibly you are right. Because I've never been in a country that gun is allowed, So I can not judge about your situation or how things work in your society.
I only beg please don't forget : The society, Police and your government must protect you not your side arm. I mean I see everyone's logic is : If the bad guys have guns regardless of how they obtained them, then the good guys need guns also.

And I think you have forgotten that Police, law and the government should protect you.
If you feel unsafe in a gun controlled society, the question should be : what the hell Police do?
You are running the wrong way telling me I need a gun too, because the bad guy has one.

Well actually I really agree with you. It is too bad that our government has let crime spin out of control especially in recent years. Some of us feel a big reason that contributes to that is because the punishments aren't serious and consistent when the criminal is found. The punishments are very small or not at all and they are sent back out on the street to do the same thing again.

You make an excellent point that I like a lot! The government and the police are the ones that are supposed to be protecting us. Unfortunately one of our political parties has invested a lot of effort in the past couple years into marketing this idea to the American people that police are the enemy that they are bad and that criminals are unfairly targeted. Because of that the police have pulled back and statistically this happens every time that particular party's movement does their thing that they do. The police pull back for fear of being accused I'm being too harsh, and crime skyrockets up out of control.

It's definitely a crappy situation that I hope we can find a way out of.

@Steve R. Again I don't judge anyone. But I think it's the most desperate way of justifying gun by comparing gun death rates with car accidents.
I see some people occasionally use this method to justify their thoughts. If Gun kills, so do cars, so do airplanes, so do knives, and a lot more.
Should we really ban them all?

I really don't know how to answer this. And even if I did, I wouldn't because as I explained, I don't see you or others looking for a solution.

Don't forget, there's a difference between a death caused by an accident, and a death by aiming and meaning to kill someone.
In case of knives you may want to check the number of mass murders by these two weapons.
You seem to be comfortable with kids being shot by their own parents because you are a 334 Million community and mistakes may happen. But you forget to tell me how precious any fallen soul is.

I really mean no offence, I only don't find the right words to choose. It's mostly because of the lack of knowing English better.
My apologies if the chosen words seem somehow offending.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom