I’m Mad as Hell and I’m not going to take it any more. (1 Viewer)

jsanders

If I Only had a Brain
Local time
Yesterday, 20:46
Kraj said:
I would argue that the root of most, if not all, negative emotions is fear. However, that's a entirely different debate. A phobia is defined as:

So, a phobia is not exclusively a fear. I seriously doubt anyone to whom definitition #2 does not apply would be referred to as a homophobe. If they are, whoever is referring to them is probably an idiot.

I'm sure that does happen and perhaps that's the majority of your personal experience. As I said, I think the term has been overused and misapplied. I don't think, however, that the term is nothing more than a "smeer"; there are still many people out there who negatively discriminate against homosexuals based exclusively on their sexuality and no good, rational reason.

Kraj,
Discrimination is bad in any form against anyone. The only hope for a lot of it, is that the old people will all die off and hopefully the young ones will be more accepting.

Back to the gay thing.

Guys I know above my generation will never accept homosexuality.

Guys in my generation have accepted it, and have for a lot of us chosen to not think about it much.

But I have noticed a difference in my daughter’s generation. The gays in her high school are open about it. That would never have happened in the 70s when I was in school.

Recap:
Old guys never going too.
Medium old guys, had to force themselves to accept
Young people, have no issues at all.

But how does using a term like homophobia change any of this?

jsanders

If I Only had a Brain
Local time
Rich said:
can they whisper it instead?

From now on If I use the wrong word make yourself useful and print the correction.

Please.

Last edited:

jsanders

If I Only had a Brain
Local time
Kraj said:
And this has to do homophobia why?

Just remember Ken... I didn't bring it up :D

It has nothing to do with homophobia I thought Ken was exasperating that I was on about something again.

Sorry my bad.

R

Rich

jsanders said:
From now on If I use the wrong word make yourself useful and print the correction.

Please.
I don't know how to be usefal? :confused: Texan or English?

jsanders

If I Only had a Brain
Local time
Rich said:
I don't know how to be usefal? :confused: Texan or English?
Mistype.

I'm pissed and not taking time to check properly.

KenHigg

Local time
jsanders said:
It has nothing to do with homophobia I thought Ken was exasperating that I was on about something again.

Sorry my bad.

If you don't mind, I would like to watch this debate play out :D

R

Rich

jsanders said:
Mistype.

I'm pissed and not taking time to check properly.
Is your drink likely to be laced with arsenic, or are you not a habitual drinker, thus a nuisance to society?:confused:

jsanders

If I Only had a Brain
Local time
Rich said:
Is your drink likely to be laced with arsenic, or are you not a habitual drinker, thus a nuisance to society?:confused:

Rich, as you should know by now, I’m a recovering alcoholic/addict.

In April I will be 17 years sober. Not a single drop.

R

Rich

jsanders said:
Rich, as you should know by now, I’m a recovering alcoholic/addict.

In April I will be 17 years sober. Not a single drop.
You get pissed drinking water? :confused:

Kraj

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 01:46
Rich said:
You get pissed drinking water? :confused:
In the U.S., "pissed" is short for "pissed off" which means "angry".

jsanders said:
Kraj,
Discrimination is bad in any form against anyone. The only hope for a lot of it, is that the old people will all die off and hopefully the young ones will be more accepting.
I agree completely.

jsanders said:
Back to the gay thing.

I agree that's mostly true, but there are certainly plenty of accepting elderly out there so we shouldn't completely discount the elder generation. :)

jsanders said:
Guys in my generation have accepted it, and have for a lot of us chosen to not think about it much.
Perfectly reasonable stance.

jsanders said:
But I have noticed a difference in my daughter’s generation. The gays in her high school are open about it. That would never have happened in the 70s when I was in school.
I think that's an excellent trend.

jsanders said:
But how does using a term like homophobia change any of this?
I don't think it does. I'm pretty sure I've expressed reasonably clearly that I'm not a big fan of the term; I have little use for labels in general. I've simply been disagreeing with your assertion that the term exclusively exists to slander straight people.

Last edited:

jsanders

If I Only had a Brain
Local time
Political Correctness.

FDA approves first race-based drug.

Bidil was found to reduce the death rate for certain diseases in black people by 43%. Yet certain critics contend approving a drug based on race would validate a genetic base for it.

Again Political Correctness; run amuck.

Kraj

Registered User.
Local time
I'm not much a fan of political correctness either. I think the 'movement' was well intentioned but has gone far overboard. However, it doesn't appear the criticism of Bidil is particularly widespread or severe and it hasn't been enough to block the FDA recommendations, so what's the problem?

jsanders

If I Only had a Brain
Local time
Kraj said:
I'm not much a fan of political correctness either. I think the 'movement' was well intentioned but has gone far overboard. However, it doesn't appear the criticism of Bidil is particularly widespread or severe and it hasn't been enough to block the FDA recommendations, so what's the problem?

Nothing really, just ranting on a ranting thread.

I started it thought i'd give it a boost. We have som many warm and freindly threads lately, thought we need some of the old blood back.

R

Rich

jsanders said:
Nothing really, just ranting on a ranting thread.

I started it thought i'd give it a boost. We have som many warm and freindly threads lately, thought we need some of the old blood back.
We've always known you were just a trouble maker, it's a good job Colin and I keep coming here as a moderating influence :cool:

R

Rich

jsanders said:
Kraj,

?
You ought to tell your leader to hurry up and go then, you know that's the prat who thinks he the leader of the free world:rolleyes:

Back to the gay thing.

or equality

how can you form an opinion on the subject then? :confused:

That would never have happened in the 70s when I was in school.
That's because you're an American from Texas:eek:

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
Kraj said:
I'm not much a fan of political correctness either. I think the 'movement' was well intentioned but has gone far overboard.
In Birmingham University (UK) they have erased all religious comments from their printed diaries. e.g there is no "Christmas Day", "Easter Day", its just a public holiday. They didn't want to upset other faiths. Mind you, thats not a bad thing as its all brainwashing clap-trap anyway. Dec 25th has nothing to do with religion.

Also, many primary schools do not have a childrens nativity play for the same reason. Those that do have them have banned video cameras in case there's a paedophile filming the children.

The odd thing is, that no "other faiths" have complained, they accept it [christianity] as being the UK religion so are cool with it all. Its the fear of people upsetting others that causes it.

Rich said:
it's a good job Colin and I keep coming here as a moderating influence
and god knows its not an easy job keeping everyone on the straight and narrow:cool:

Col

BarryMK

4 strings are enough
Local time
ColinEssex said:
god knows its not an easy job keeping everyone on the straight and narrow:cool:

Col

Quick the Americans are coming! Get out the chair and whip:eek:

jsanders

If I Only had a Brain
Local time
BarryMK said:
Quick the Americans are coming! Get out the chair and whip:eek:

Yeah, Cause ya’ll did such a great job of it 230 years ago.

jsanders

If I Only had a Brain
Local time
Idiots!
My absolute biggest bitch; the red light running assholes we have around here.

Sometimes four, five, or even six cars will go through the light after it changes.

As if that weren’t bad enough…

Second biggest bitch: the Republican assholes in the State Legislature that repealed the intersection camera law.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom