Mid-Term elections in USA (1 Viewer)

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
Today, 03:06
MrsGorilla said:
One big brainwashed mass... :confused:
we'll see after the mid-term election results.
Have the US people got the nerve to vote in the Democrats to split up the Republican stronghold and make Bush a lame president?
or are the US people going to follow the Republicans like sheep and therefore give the green light to more bloodshed and worldwide turmoil.

Note - Cindy, I brought your comment to a new thread as I am not one for hijacking threads (as you well know;) :D )

Col

FoFa

Registered User.
Local time
Yesterday, 21:06
Well, there are way more issues than Iraq.
So we will just have to see.

Bodisathva

Registered User.
Local time
Yesterday, 22:06
Have a question for you and the other Texans lurking about... I was listening to Dubbie go on one of his rants on NPR this morning and it seemed like he was a bit more...umm...brash? Found out later that he's campaigning for the repubs down in Texas:eek: They had some soundbytes from the locals and they were, mostly, aligned with Dubbie's ideas, blah, blah, blah. Anyway, to the point, what's the majority of the Texan opinion? I'm just kind of curious if it's a "Texans stick together" type thing or more of a "We think just like him" type thing. Or did they just manage to find the only three supporters he has in the state :eek:

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
GWB is not Texan though. He was born in Connecticut (I think). Thats another lie he goes on about, all this "I'm a Texan" stuff.

Its like saying Bob Hope, Cary Grant or Charlie Chaplin were American:rolleyes:

Col

MrsGorilla

Rat Race Participant
Local time
ColinEssex said:
we'll see after the mid-term election results.
Have the US people got the nerve to vote in the Democrats to split up the Republican stronghold and make Bush a lame president?
or are the US people going to follow the Republicans like sheep and therefore give the green light to more bloodshed and worldwide turmoil.

Note - Cindy, I brought your comment to a new thread as I am not one for hijacking threads (as you well know;) :D )

Col

Hahahahaha. Good one. ;)

Of course, you're probably missing the point that I know we're not all one big brainwashed mass, but I know that's what you think. :D

FoFa

Registered User.
Local time
It is really hard to speak for all Texans, but if they were interviewing people at a Bush rally, of course they are going to agree with him.
I think what you are going to find, as far as President Bush is concerned, people are broken on his performance about as much as anywhere. There are even repubs. running here that don't mention they are repubs. to make that break from Bush. I think it will boil down to local issues more than what Bush thinks.

FoFa

Registered User.
Local time
ColinEssex said:
GWB is not Texan though. He was born in Connecticut (I think). Thats another lie he goes on about, all this "I'm a Texan" stuff.
Being a Texan is more a state of mind, than where you happen to be born.
Too hard to explain, you would have to live here to understand.

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
FoFa said:
Being a Texan is more a state of mind, than where you happen to be born.
Too hard to explain, you would have to live here to understand.
A Texan has to be born in Texas. Its quite simple.

I've lived in Essex for 16 years but am not an Essex person, I was born in Bristol (the same city as Cary Grant actually) so I am Bristolian

MrsGorilla said:
Of course, you're probably missing the point that I know we're not all one big brainwashed mass
Lets hope you individuals prove it then:rolleyes: - you all failed when you voted that freak in power again in 2004, now's the chance to put the brakes on the killing

Col

jsanders

If I Only had a Brain
Local time
ColinEssex said:
A Texan has to be born in Texas. Its quite simple.

Col

You're realy hung up on that whole birth right thing aren't you?

jsanders

If I Only had a Brain
Local time
FoFa said:
There are even repubs. running here that don't mention they are repubs. to make that break from Bush.

It's not just Bush, it whole entire party, the master mind himself thought that one up.

The Republican signs are even blue in VA.

So if you can't baffle them with brilliance, go ahead and try to BS them.

R

Rich

Well it's quite simple, Chenny and co. will play the terrorist card and the flock will follow

MrsGorilla

Rat Race Participant
Local time
Rich said:
Well it's quite simple, Chenny and co. will play the terrorist card and the flock will follow

As the UK has followed Blair? :eek:

R

Rich

ColinEssex said:
Col
Bush used to live in Texas but now lives in a state of denial (Kerry) great quote;) :D

MrsGorilla

Rat Race Participant
Local time
Rich said:
We've already proven elsewhere on the forum Cindy that that's not the case;)

Yet he was elected and is in power. ;)

MrsGorilla

Rat Race Participant
Local time
Rich said:
Not by the majority vote he wasn't

Sounds to me like your system is broken and needs to be fixed. Maybe you should concentrate your energies on that rather than criticizing others. ;) :D

Bodisathva

Registered User.
Local time
Rich said:
Not by the majority vote he wasn't
Funny how when we try to explain the same conundrum surrounding Dubbie's election you don't buy it...:confused:

R

Rich

Bodisathva said:
Funny how when we try to explain the same conundrum surrounding Dubbie's election you don't buy it...:confused:
Actually it's already been pointed out to you umpteen times, Bush was elected with a majority vote, Bliar wasn't

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
Here's an extract from the BBC website about Bush's vist to god fearing Georgia yesterday - and if the rest of America thinks like this then god help us all. Georgia will vote republican because Bush says he believes in Jesus so sod the thousands being killed by the US actions.

Quote "The first thing you notice when you talk to these country Republicans is the importance of religion in their reasons for liking the president.
Several mention it, unprompted, and this is something you just do not hear elsewhere in the country.
"He believes in Jesus," they tell you, as if this fact were enough to clinch any political debate.
But the other overwhelming sense here is that much of the rest of the nation is regarded as hostile and alien, Godless.

And the president, they believe, shares this view.

Bounding onto the stage after a warm-up act lasting more than an hour, the president looks, well, local.
He is wearing a khaki shirt - neat and buttoned down but casual and manly as well. It is a shirt that gives him the right to ally himself with this crowd, although when I last looked his real address, the place he has called home for some time now, is in central Washington.

To campaign against Washington is an old trick - Carter did it, so did Reagan - but to do it having been president for some years is quite a feat. Yet that is what he is trying to do.

Now in Georgia - in front of a crowd of a few thousand well-wishers - it worked a treat. In the nation as a whole it might not wash.

Belief in miracles

The president's claim that under the Democrats "the terrorists win" in Iraq is rather at odds with what opinion polls suggest is the view of most Americans - that the terrorists have been doing rather well there under this president.

Recent news from Iraq has been particularly bleak

Similarly the idea that Mr Bush can somehow guide his party back to power by playing the gay marriage card, seems unlikely.

In Georgia, they loved the line about the threat to marriage posed by activist judges - even though those judges reside a million miles away in New Jersey and there will only be gay marriage in Georgia after all the peanuts have embraced communism.But I know from talking to Republicans in other states, conservative Pennsylvania among them, that it does not have the same traction this year. And yet - there is something appealing about a president so comfortable in his own skin.

Even his admirers would not claim he looks happy in starchy Washington settings. But in rural America he looks at home, and somehow less goofy, less jarring.

If he does manage to pull it off for his party it will be at this level - the level of image and style - where the contrast with the Democrats (John Kerry, for instance) is so marked.

In the car park after the Georgia event the locals drifted off to do whatever Georgians do at night (pray I guess), knowing that the Republicans have a fight on their hands but still confident that it can be turned round.

They have not given up and many really do believe in miracles..."

ref

Col

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom