Mid-Term elections in USA (1 Viewer)

dan-cat

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 15:49
Rich said:
Jenny, your logic's flawed again, the Arabs in the area have been fighting each other for centuries, the current wave of unrest hass nothing to do with our search for oil in the 1920's. Try again

They've been fighting the west for centuries too...

jsanders

If I Only had a Brain
Local time
Today, 10:49
dan-cat said:
They've been fighting the west for centuries too...

Well its all clear now.

Richie Rich has delusion of grandeur; he pictures himself as his name sake.

Thank you, Dan.

Kraj

Registered User.
Local time
jsanders said:
The problem is that it defies US law. US tax law prohibits tax exempt organizations from endorsing any particular candidate or party.
That's not exactly correct. A political endorsement is nothing more than an opinion. Such a law would violate the First Amendment.

501(c)(3) organiztions are prohibited from engaging in a certain degree of political activity (i.e., they can only devote a small amount of their budget to political activities). They are certainly free to speak on behalf of whomever they choose; they just can't buy advertising or contribute to compaign funds, etc.

And just for clarity's sake: there are around two dozen tax-exempt classifications given by the IRS. Only 501(c)(3)s are allowed to accept tax-deductable donations and they are the most restrictive regarding political activity. Other tax-exempt organizations are allowed to engage in various degrees of political activity but donations to them are not tax-deductible.

It will certainly be interesting to see what happens with these elections. The predictions I have heard say the Democrats will take both the House and the Senate by a huge margin. Here's hoping. I almost feel irresponsible in taking the easy way out, since there are certainly Republican candidates who are superior to their opponents and there are issues I agree with the Republican platform on, but overall I am so disgusted with the Republican party right now I can't bring myself to vote for them unless the Democrat is really, really awful.

Last edited:

Brianwarnock

Retired
Local time
Hi Greg, welcome back, you seem to have been away for a wee while and we have missed your erudite explanations.

Brian

Kraj

Registered User.
Local time
How kind! :) Thank you very much. I was on vacation for about a week and when I returned I was extremely busy at work, so I didn't have time for my usual chit-chat.

Worley

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 07:49
Rich said:
But isn't she using the fact that she's ex-military and wounded to get elected? :confused:

Lol, so simply because she is wounded, she should avoid public office? Its something she has been interested in since far before her injury. I picture Rich as the guy who, as a kid, tripped other kids when they walked in front of his desk. A real sweetheart.

Brianwarnock

Retired
Local time
Worley said:
What's this all about:confused:

Worley said:
I picture Rich as the guy who, as a kid, tripped other kids when they walked in front of his desk. A real sweetheart.

What has this got to do with the thread?, You seem to be making personal attacks on other posters , Rich in his wildest anti American rants does not make personal attacks on others.

Brian

jsanders

If I Only had a Brain
Local time
Brianwarnock said:
You seem to be making personal attacks on other posters , Rich in his wildest anti American rants does not make personal attacks on others.

Brian

Brian,

I’m going to have to respectfully disagree with you.

Attacking our country, culture, way of life, our collective intelligence, and telling us we are obviously evil, is in ways, much more than a personal condemnation.

Hiding behind “I’m only telling the truth about your country” and ridiculing every post and poster, is completely unacceptable.

Furthermore if they never admit their wrong about even the slightest points, and totally ignore proof or questions that would show them to be fallible.

What is left; beside a personal jibe?

Brianwarnock

Retired
Local time
O K Joe I guess if you put all his posts together that's a reasonable outcome, I suppose not being the butt of them, though still annoyed and fed up with them, we don't see them as personal.

I don't retract my critiscim of Worley though.

Brian

Matt Greatorex

Registered User.
Local time
jsanders said:
Brian,

I’m going to have to respectfully disagree with you.

Attacking our country, culture, way of life, our collective intelligence, and telling us we are obviously evil, is in ways, much more than a personal condemnation.

Hiding behind “I’m only telling the truth about your country” and ridiculing every post and poster, is completely unacceptable.

Have to agree with JS on this one. If someone has personally said or done something you take issue with, by all means call them on it. Don't slag off one person based on what somebody else, possibly thousands of miles away, has said or done.

If I say to someone that everyone who lives at a certain address is an idiot, knowing full well that they live at that address, I can hardly pretend to be shocked when they take offence at it purely because I didn't mention them by name. Likewise, saying that something or other they've said or done is 'typical' of people at that address is ridiculous (and rather pitiful, if it's the best response that the person can come up with. On a par with 'because I said so' as an answer).

Insulting an entire country, city, street, or whatever, based on the fact that certain members of that place acted in a way you don't like is hardly conducive to proper debate.

jsanders

If I Only had a Brain
Local time
Matt Greatorex said:
On a par with 'because I said so' as an answer).

Although with children that should be all you need to say.

When Ashley was little my favorite lines was…”All I need to here from you is, yes Dad”.

R

Rich

Worley said:
Lol, so simply because she is wounded, she should avoid public office? Its something she has been interested in since far before her injury. I picture Rich as the guy who, as a kid, tripped other kids when they walked in front of his desk. A real sweetheart.
Where the hell did I say or even imply that she should avoid public office?:mad:
If you can't answer a simple bloody question why bother answering at all!

MrsGorilla

Rat Race Participant
Local time
Today, 09:49
Rich said:
Where the hell did I say or even imply that she should avoid public office?:mad:
If you can't answer a simple bloody question why bother answering at all!

Hey, that's exactly what I've wondered several times. ;) :D

R

Rich

MrsGorilla said:
Hey, that's exactly what I've wondered several times. ;) :D
But I answer the questions asked as honestly as possible, it's not my fault if those viewing don't like the answer:p

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom