Oh the Places You'll Go

Brianwarnock said:
Vegas

Having stayed in a cheap motel and a resort hotel (Luxor) I would go for a resort hotel every time, they are not that expensive as they make their money from the gamblers.

If you can fit in Bryce Canyon on your day trip to Grand Canyon it is worth it, my better half prefers it.

Brian

A must see is the Hoover Dam.

Rich said:
Just spare a thought for the treatment of those who built it by their capitalist bosses :mad:

Are you trying again?

It's cool to see, and the poor bastards hat built it are all long gone.

jsanders said:
To get people riled up.

You mean pausing for reflection and remembering those who lost their lives in building this monument is getting you riled up, what a strange attitude. :confused:
Do you think that it should be swept under the carpet ?

Rich said:
You mean pausing for reflection and remembering those who lost their lives in building this monument is getting you riled up, what a strange attitude. :confused:
Do you think that it should be swept under the carpet ?

Of course not.

And I'm not riled up, only amused.

I'd also really like to know where in Europe is a "don't die without seeing this" place. My husband is of Italian and German descent. He's always wanted to go to Italy. Of course, we can't fit all of Italy in.... and we'll probably only get one shot at it....so where in Italy is most important to visit? Use your own criteria... but list is as an important parameter used in listing your selections. If museums are important to you and this is the main reason you would recommend the city, please say so. If it's the beaches, let us know. AND if it's more the women on the beaches rather than the beaches.... please make that plain. :rolleyes:

Specific suggestions of things to do while there, like Kraj's Stratosphere dining experience, or Brian's Bryce Canyon are also very helpful.

I'm certain that it's not just me that would be interested in some help in getting new ideas for places to visit. Oh... and if you include the closest airport name, that would be nice! :)

Italy is very nice! The weather is good, and there are lots of nice cities. Ofcourse Rome has got a lot to offer (collosseum, Forum Romanum, Vatican City, a lot of museums).
I liked the region "Toscane" very much, there are a lot of nice places there as well: Florence, Perugia, Sienna, San Gimignano. I have been on holiday in Toscane three times, and always found 'new' places to visit :)

TessB said:
We were actually thinking about taking a helicopter tour of the Grand Canyon.
a colleague of mine just did that over christmas. i saw the pics and they were stunning.

i can highly recommend Prague, Czech Republic (i went back two years later i liked it so much) and Chiang Mai, Thailand.

don't forget to check exchange rates if you think traveling overseas costs too much. occasionally the difference is not as great as you think, after the exchange. (of course flights can be costly...).

so many places. so little time...

Last edited:
TessB said:
I'd also really like to know where in Europe is a "don't die without seeing this" place.

Firstly, great thread title :-) One of my favourite stories I read to my gf's daughter, along with "Oh the thinks you can think".

Secondly;

France:
Paris
Frejus
Aurillac
Various places in Normandy (as a family we went to France a lot)

Benidorm (Spain) (my parents lived there almost ten years; unfortunately they moved home :-( )

Dubrovnic (Yugoslavia as it was) (spelling???)

Lagos (Portugal)

Amsterdam (Holland)

New York, Niagara, Washington, Pennslyvania(sp?), Philadelphia (think you know where those are ;-)

Before you die? From where I have been; Paris, got to be. For any non Americans as well; New York. Now I went pre 9/11. Whether its changed I don't know but I can't imagine it. It sounds wierd, but I felt like I had already been to New York when I got there. I've seen it so many times on Film/Television, you sorta know your way round it. I felt safer in New York than I do in my local town on a Saturday night.

Apparently Venice is a "must do" in Italy; friends who have been say its magical. Don't watch "Don't Look Now" before you go though ;-)

Hi Tess

Italy - Has as been mentioned Venice, Rome but please go to the Pantheon this is often missed but is an exquisite building well worth the walk, San Gimignano is a must for Americans who think they invented skyscrapers or are just homesick for a view of the Manhatten skyline;) .

We love the Tuscan hilltowns but Hazel can't walk them any more.
Sienna for the Pallio, Florence for art, Pissa for its tower, and Verona for Opera in the arena.

Brian

Belgium, Egypt, Eire, France, Germany, Holland, Italy, Luxembourg, Maldives, Mallorca, Portugal, Scotland, Spain, Wales

Great times in all to be had.

Mallorca is far nicer than you'd expect - North and West of the island are beautiful.

Egypt has wonderful people. Luxor is a must. Watch the sun set over the Nile at the Movenpick Hotel. You sit in a little amphitheatre overlooking the river with a glass of perfect, draught Lowenbrau in your hand. Magic

Maldives - simply paradise. Go before global warming puts them under the sea.

Brianwarnock said:
Hi Tess

Italy - Has as been mentioned Venice, Rome but please go to the Pantheon this is often missed but is an exquisite building well worth the walk, San Gimignano is a must for Americans who think they invented skyscrapers or are just homesick for a view of the Manhatten skyline;) .

We love the Tuscan hilltowns but Hazel can't walk them any more.
Sienna for the Pallio, Florence for art, Pissa for its tower, and Verona for Opera in the arena.

Brian

Agree with everything you said Brian but add in the Amalfi Coast with Vesuvius and Pompeii. Although if I could afford a property abroad it would be in Tuscany.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom