Oh the Places You'll Go

BarryMK said:
Maldives - simply paradise. Go before global warming puts them under the sea.
or a tidal wave...research this one beforehand to see what's left and/or rebuilt!

Hey Barry you missed out England, the Lake District and Liverpool for example.

Brian:cool:

Here's my list of places

France (Strasbourg)
Germany (Frankfurt)

The above were a school trip and was intended to help us speak the language...not that it did me much good :eek:

Holland (Amsterdam)

My sister in law invited me along....let's just say she like the cafes over there :D

Ireland (Mayo, Cavan, Belfast)

A combination of visiting relatives and watching my team

Greece (Kos)

Sun, sea and sand was just too tempting :) I did visit Turkey for a day trip and also a couple of the other greek islands near by on day trips.

Spain (Fuengirola & Ibiza)

Think that's them all....oh yes I have been to England on many occasions too but does that really count......:eek: :p

Hay

BarryMK said:
Agree with everything you said Brian but add in the Amalfi Coast with Vesuvius and Pompeii. Although if I could afford a property abroad it would be in Tuscany.

I knew I'd forgotten some, NOI to our American friends but would love to see them drive one of their gas guzzlers along the Amalfi drive. :eek: :D

Brian

Here's my list

Nepal
India
Pakistan
Kashmir
Afghanistan
Iran
Turkey
Italy
France
Belgium
Germany
Australia
New Zealand
Spain
Luxembourg
Wales

Col

ColinEssex said:
Here's my list

Nepal
India
Pakistan
Kashmir
Afghanistan
Iran
Turkey
Italy
France
Belgium
Germany
Australia
New Zealand
Spain
Luxembourg
Wales

Col

You've been to all those places?

KenHigg said:

His last farewell tour. I remember it well.
The crowds, the fans, the backstage groupies, the knickers thrown onto the stage...........:D

Brianwarnock said:
Hey Barry you missed out England, the Lake District and Liverpool for example.

Brian:cool:

I live there Brian I don't visit it.:rolleyes:

KenHigg said:
Yes, you'll notice it vaguely follows part of the old silk route from the 12th (ish)century, also the Marco Polo route. It all had to go through the Khyber Pass, then on into what was Persia (Iran).

We did it in a bus:eek: it took just over 3 months.

Note - avoid Afghanistan, its terrible there - I had food poisoning and had to lay-up for a couple of days in Kandahar - awful:rolleyes:

Col

Hayley Baxter said:
Think that's them all....oh yes I have been to England on many occasions too but does that really count......:eek: :p

Hay

All our subjects should visit this bastion of civilisation at least once in their lives, Hay. Only good will have come of it. Your previous character, though no doubt unblemished, will have been much improved by the experience and an introduction to proper food rather than haggis, porridge and fried Mars bars would have extended your life expectancy somewhat. No need to thank us - we live to lead our less fortunate underlings into the sunlit, sunny uplands of the Pax Britannica. Rule Britannia. God Save the Queen ete etc.....;)

ColinEssex said:
Note - avoid Afghanistan, its terrible there - I had food poisoning and had to lay-up for a couple of days in Kandahar - awful:rolleyes:

Col

Don't you mean spew up?:confused: :confused:

ColinEssex said:
Yes, you'll notice it vaguely follows part of the old silk route from the 12th (ish)century, also the Marco Polo route. It all had to go through the Khyber Pass, then on into what was Persia (Iran).

We did it in a bus:eek: it took just over 3 months.

Col

Has your travels been a life-time thing or a more recent pursuit?

(Your new avatar is a bit intimidating - Why the change?)

BarryMK said:
Your previous character, though no doubt unblemished, will have been much improved by the experience and an introduction to proper food rather than haggis,

I'd love to try haggis. Is the supermarket one acceptable? Or should I order one online from Scotland. How do you cook it??? Hayley, I'm hoping you can help me out here so I can convince my fellow sassenachs that it really is a delicacy...

KenHigg said:
I forgot Singapore and Austria and Andorra:rolleyes:

BarryMK said:
Don't you mean spew up?
Spew up? I should say. . . . . nearly bloody died in some fleabitten room, just an iron bed, no running water, no toilets to speak of - lying on a filthy mattress. Not something I'd want to repeat I'm afraid.

Col

TessB said:
Where have you travelled?

Denmark, Poland, Germany, Belgium, Netherlands, Portugal, Czech Republic, Singapore, India, Bahrain, Saudi Arabia, Djibouti, Egypt, Cyprus, Lebanon, and Syria. Not the most joyous of places. Saying that, I enjoyed Poland, Denmark, and, in a way, the Czech Republic.

KenHigg said:
Has your travels been a life-time thing or a more recent pursuit?

We did most of it in 1975 / 1976 when it was ok to visit places like Iran / Afghanistan / Kashmir.

The Spain / France bit is recent - from about 1986

KenHigg said:
(Your new avatar is a bit intimidating - Why the change?)

Its to intimidate people:D I changed because I don't play drums in the band now, and got cheesed off with the hyperactive drummer

Col

BarryMK said:
All our subjects should visit this bastion of civilisation at least once in their lives, Hay. Only good will have come of it. Your previous character, though no doubt unblemished, will have been much improved by the experience and an introduction to proper food rather than haggis, porridge and fried Mars bars would have extended your life expectancy somewhat. No need to thank us - we live to lead our less fortunate underlings into the sunlit, sunny uplands of the Pax Britannica. Rule Britannia. God Save the Queen ete etc.....;)

Thanks for the information Barry, Just for the record I don't like Haggis, I never eat Porridge. I did however try a Mars Bar Supper once........:p It had to be done! It wasn't too pleasant actually and I don't think I'll ever be trying anything like that again, one of our local chippie's done Mars Bar suppers and I think the other one was Snickers If I remember correctly!

I'll give you that much some good did come out of England....my other half for example!! When Scotland played England at the rugby last year he was a right pain in the neck winding me up because we were geting beat......I fight back where I can knowing that we are not half as good it's hard but I do ok. If it's not about sports and stuff it's when I take off on my slang and he tells all his relatives when we go back down south to visit in his best scottish accent (his scottish accent is really quite pathetic but he's improving) :p

Anyway I like England really and my many visits there have always been a pleasant experience. I've never had any abuse for being scottish although my other half does tend to get some grief for being English on nights out (certain places)

Hay

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom