On a more positive note...

Rich said:
That's because unlike you I'm educated ...

This is beginning to be so easy it's really not much of a challenge any more and I've lost interest. Have a good weekend Rich :)

KenHigg said:
I posted a simple little ditti about a monument in an obscure and insignificant forum and now I'm posting your governmental propaganda for the masses... :eek:

And you and all the other Americans posting here keep missing the point that you're reducing the memory of those brave Americans who fought around the world to nothing more than a cheap publicity shot, like I said the sad fact is that none of you see it.
Answer me Kenny, why does your government have to keep telling you how great you all are?

Rich said:
That's because unlike you I'm educated and in any case anyone who dares to criticise any aspect of America or its way of life is immediately accused of hatred and anti Americanism
:rolleyes:

...and anyone who dares to disagree with your view of the "nation" of America's level of historical knowledge gets branded "brainwashed". You don't live up to the standards you expect of others.

KenHigg said:
This is beginning to be so easy it's really not much of a challenge any more and I've lost interest. Have a good weekend Rich :)

Just keep that picture of the Stars and Stripes raised over Iwo Jima in your mind, otherwise you might forget those who didn't make it back from Normandy :rolleyes:

Ok... So one more for the road - Rich, the monument is a symbolic gesture of appreciation not an instrument of propaganda. Exactly, I'm guessing, like most every nation in the world has. If you don't get it, sorry.

Edit- But I guess you're free to twist it into that and sulk in your on little spiteful and bitter world if you want to...

Last edited:
dan-cat said:
...and anyone who dares to disagree with your view of the "nation" of America's level of historical knowledge gets branded "brainwashed". You don't live up to the standards you expect of others.
So we have to reduce the thread to discussion on an individual basis then do we?
You've already displayed some knowledge of the events of WW11 elswhere in the thread and on that basis we can't discuss this topic because you're not prepared to speak on a collective level for your nation, is there therefore any point?

Does Great Britain not have monuments or war memorials?

KenHigg said:
Ok... So one more for the road - Rich, the monument is a symbolic gesture of appreciation not an instrument of propaganda. Exactly, I'm guessing, like most every nation in the world has. If you don't get it, sorry.

Edit- But I guess you're free to twist it into that and sulk in your on little spiteful and bitter world if you want to...

No No Kenny, you won't find a memorial in the UK to those who fell in defence of our freedom displaying an image of British or Commonwealth troops flying the Union Jack over conquered territory, that's not why we went to war, of course you can draw your own conclusions as to why you need to show the Stars and Stripes flying on foreign soil in order to remember your vets.

Careful Danny, the typos have started. That usually indicates a two bottle Friday night love fest with keyboard for pooh bear. And be advised that an 'Educated' response will now require you to use '11' as a means of referring to World War 'Two'.

KenHigg said:
Careful Danny, the typos have started. That usually indicates a two bottle Friday night love fest with keyboard for pooh bear. And be advised that an 'Educated' response will now require you to use '11' as a means of referring to World War 'Two'.
I've already corrected Kraj concerning WW11, do you want me to repeat the post search on Google for your benefit too? :rolleyes:

Rich said:
So we have to reduce the thread to discussion on an individual basis then do we?
You've already displayed some knowledge of the events of WW11 elswhere in the thread and on that basis we can't discuss this topic because you're not prepared to speak on a collective level for your nation, is there therefore any point?

What are you talking about? My sole point is simple.

You have "poisoned the well". You have invited no American to reasonably discuss with you because any American who disagrees with your point of view is "brainwashed". Your argument may be valid but it is not valid because all differing points of view come from a "brainwashed" mind. It is valid because of sound argument. You close the door to criticism before the argument begins. This is not sound argument. Do you accept this or not?

KenHigg said:
Case closed (hope someone has the car keys :o )
Backround foreground, what's the difference, who's pictured holding up the flag on the memorial, is it John Wayne ? :rolleyes:

Rich said:
I've already corrected Kraj concerning WW11, do you want me to repeat the post search on Google for your benefit too? :rolleyes:

Nice to know we have an advisor that graduated from Google U :D

dan-cat said:
What are you talking about? My sole point is simple.

You have "poisoned the well". You have invited no American to reasonably discuss with you because any American who disagrees with your point of view is "brainwashed". Your argument may be valid but it is not valid because all differing points of view come from a "brainwashed" mind. It is valid because of sound argument. You close the door to criticism before the argument begins. This is not sound argument. Do you accept this or not?

How can you have valid criticism of the fact that your war memorial is based on a publicity shot ?:confused:

KenHigg said:
Nice to know we have an advisor that graduated from Google U :D
I use Google only as a quick means to back up argument, I don't have time to scan in all the relevant documentation

Rich said:
How can you have valid criticism of the fact that your war memorial is based on a publicity shot ?:confused:

Amazing how you refuse to answer a direct question. Are you in politics?

dan-cat said:
Amazing how you refuse to answer a direct question. Are you in politics?
No I've been watching American politicians come on attempting to justify their actions, now are you going to answer my questions ?

Rich said:
Of course, but they don't rely on a publicity shot for a backround

I've known for years that the famous image everyone thinks of was actually the second time a flag was raised that day. According to these two sites (the only two I've had time to check) the second flag raising wasn't done for a photo op but to raise a larger flag that could be seen more easily. I wasn't personally there so I can't really comment on that, other than to listen to the eyewitness accounts from those that were there.

Would the memorial for Iwo Jima be any more valid to you if they had used the image from the first raising, or would the sight of Americans raising the American flag after a hard fought battle still be propaganda to you? :confused:

http://www.eyewitnesstohistory.com/iwoflag.htm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raising_the_Flag_on_Iwo_Jima

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom