Sat Nav and Camera Detection

Len Boorman said:
Had heard TomTom was supposed to be good

L
Not much help if you're deaf though

Okay so I am back now

Rich. TomTom ....deaf oh yes maybe smoke signals would be better. Setting fire to cameras sounds a good idea. Its been done several times. And if you are ever in Nuneaton stay in second gear.

Kraj

The way it works here is that the local council put up the camera and the revenue goes to the government but the council can claim back the cost of running/servicing the camera. So local council can brag about how much they are doing for road safety at nil cost and the government are basically raking in so much cash you would not believe. there are cases where cameras are hidden behind signs despite the requirement for warning signs that are also obstructed..

Nobody can really complain about being done because they were speeding but if you are driving a nicked car with no insurance tax or anything else then you no need to worry about cameras.

Chances of getting caught by police very slim unless you happen to run one over

oh well have sent of cheque

L

Seriously, this sounds like a case for good ole' fashioned civil disobediance. How about a nice little bad of black spraypaint over the camera lens at offensive locations?

Kraj said:
Seriously, this sounds like a case for good ole' fashioned civil disobediance. How about a nice little bad of black spraypaint over the camera lens at offensive locations?
There have been cases of paint, fire, attacked with an axe and blown up.

But they keep replacing them
L

I still don't see why you can't just NOT SPEED. They have speed/red light cameras here and people complain that it's just a tax grab. I see it as a voluntary tax -- don't speed and you don't pay. I'm assuming it works the same there?

Matty said:
I still don't see why you can't just NOT SPEED. They have speed/red light cameras here and people complain that it's just a tax grab. I see it as a voluntary tax -- don't speed and you don't pay. I'm assuming it works the same there?

Okay I have only been driving for 40 years and this is the first time I have been done for anything.

If you see it as a voluntary tax then get you cheque over to me a bit quick. I have no objection to cameras in principle but you will find if you speak to anybody in the UK that we have a plague of them and it has only happened over the past few years.

You really should read up on some of the issues on this subject in the UK

L

I was done on New Years Day at 3:10am coming home from a New Years Eve gig 3 years ago. I was doing 41mph in a 30 limit on a wide empty road. £60 and 3 points thank you Col.

They did send me a nice photo of my car though:rolleyes:

Col

Col

If you can..... avoid Nuneaton. Done for 35 in 30 limit. Oh yes I had made the mistake of taking my feet of the pedals and let the car roll down a slight incline.

L

ColinEssex said:
I was done on New Years Day at 3:10am coming home from a New Years Eve gig 3 years ago. I was doing 41mph in a 30 limit on a wide empty road. £60 and 3 points thank you Col.

They did send me a nice photo of my car though:rolleyes:

Col

So it only comes on if you speed in front of it? Does it send the image to the cops over radio freq or over land lines?

It checks all vehicles and if over limit you get your picture taken

Older ones have film but not many of them about now, Mainly digital and sent over land lines in general but some dozy individual in government has just announced research grant to work out how to charge motorists for each mile they travel. Road tolls gone mad. Since this will probably be by sat nav tarcking they will also be able to work out your speed so woe betide the person who breaks the limit maybe whilst overtaking, going downhill or other myriad occassions when we all go over the limit for brief periods

L

KenHigg said:
So it only comes on if you speed in front of it? Does it send the image to the cops over radio freq or over land lines?
They work as you appoach or if you pass it. I have been flashed many times approaching a camera on my bike, but we don't have number plates on bike fronts so no proof it was me:D ;)

Personally, I have no idea how they deal with the pic. I thought there was a video cassette in there but maybe not these days:confused:

All I know is it turned up about 10 days later on the doormat from Essex police.:mad:

Col

Len Boorman said:
but some dozy individual in government has just announced research grant to work out how to charge motorists for each mile they travel. Road tolls gone mad. Since this will probably be by sat nav tarcking they will also be able to work out your speed so woe betide the person who breaks the limit maybe whilst overtaking, going downhill or other myriad occassions when we all go over the limit for brief periods

L
The French calculate the average MPH between tolls on their motorways and will fine you if you've exceeded the limit. I knew a biker who was done for it

Col

ColinEssex said:
The French calculate the average MPH between tolls on their motorways and will fine you if you've exceeded the limit. I knew a biker who was done for it

Col

I suppose it's just a matter of time before some liberal tries to pull this eurasian shenanigan off in the states... :rolleyes:

ColinEssex said:
I have been flashed many times approaching a camera on my bike, but we don't have number plates on bike fronts so no proof it was me:D ;)

Col
Nothing personal Col but does this not show the absurdity of the situation.

Now you are probably a fairly sensible biker but you know as well as me that it is the inexperienced scooter type jumped up individual who will quickly learn that he can ignore speed limits but they do not have the road savvy to be hazard aware.

I have seen them many times and you know that they are an accident waiting to happen

Len

ColinEssex said:
They work as you appoach or if you pass it. I have been flashed many times approaching a camera on my bike, but we don't have number plates on bike fronts so no proof it was me:D ;)

Col
I popped down to Cornwall last week and was travelling down the dual carriageway at slightly over the limit:eek: when I spied one of these mobile safety cameras. I slammed the skids on and cursed for the next 5miles before I realised that I was facing the camera:o
I should also point out that had there been a boy racer on my tail I would be dead, just where do they get they name road safety enforcement camera?
There are studies that prove they are more likey to lead to accidents than prevent them, they are nothing more than revenue collectors:mad:
The only cameras that have proven success are those a traffic lights

Matty said:
Your speed limits are low though anyway, aren't they?

Rich said:
Your speed limits are low though anyway, aren't they?

In Winnipeg, it's 60km/h on most streets, 50km/h in downtown and some residential and 80km/h on some of the outlying "freeways" (we don't have actual freeways in Winnipeg). Highways throughout the province are 100km/h.

So they don't think your smart enough to handle guns, they're watching you on cameras, they have total control of the only major tv/news station which they make you pay extra for, they let a foriegn leader of state lead them you into a war and they run a broken down national health care system... Great government. Sounds like you may as well move to the states... - NOT -

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom