Sat Nav and Camera Detection

KenHigg said:
I just did 750 mile roundtrip diddy to Florida last week end and was worn to a frazzle...:eek:
I'm not sure we can go 750 miles in the UK without falling off the edge:D ;)

The most I've done on a trip is 3500 miles in 2 weeks - that included an unscheduled 1000 mile run up through France because the ferry (from Spain to UK) didn't run because of bad weather.

If I lived in the USA, I'd like to do the route 66 trip, that seems a nice one to do.

Col

ColinEssex said:
I'm not sure we can go 750 miles in the UK without falling off the edge:D ;)

The most I've done on a trip is 3500 miles in 2 weeks - that included an unscheduled 1000 mile run up through France because the ferry (from Spain to UK) didn't run because of bad weather.

If I lived in the USA, I'd like to do the route 66 trip, that seems a nice one to do.

Col
3500 miles...Wow. Do you make these runs just to get out an unwind and see the sites or do you have specific things you need to do like see relatives, etc?
Are they solo runs or do you travel in groups?

KenHigg said:
3500 miles...Wow. Do you make these runs just to get out an unwind and see the sites or do you have specific things you need to do like see relatives, etc?
Are they solo runs or do you travel in groups?
I have my sisters who live in Bristol - so I go there to see them and to pop round friends house for a chinky. If I am on the bike I always go solo, there and back in a day. If 'er indoors is coming we go in the car, hotel overnight.

The little day trips down to the south coast are a day out for me on the bike, primarily to chill. I generally do around 250 miles. If its nice, I may do one next week.

The Spanish thing is a 2 week holiday (October time) alone on the bike. I like to look at Spanish culture and architecture so tend to visit 'out-of-the-way' places where they don't speak English, which gives me the opportunity to practice Spanish. Many buildings in little towns and villages go back to the Moors in the 12th and 13th centuries.

The 3500 mile one was unusual. I rode down through France to the border about 850 miles then toured round Spain (a pre-planned route but no accommodation booked) down to Malaga in the south then went back up to Santander in the north (via Madrid) to get the ferry to Plymouth. No ferry- bad weather in Bay of Biscay - next ferry 4 days later. So rode 150 odd miles to border with France then went up to Calais then to Dover through the tunnel, hence the extra 1000 miles.

I always ride alone because I want to be able to do what I want and go where I want and not be dictated by a group. Sometimes the weather will make a plan change necessary, if you're alone then its no probs. I usually pop into Madrid for a day or two as I've got friends there. I always book hotels on-the-fly. As I've done it a few times, I know where there are some nice little places.

Col

Rich said:
You mean caring for and protecting fellow man?
anyway here's a brief list of the real crimes committed in our country

Dirty Dancing soundtrack played too loudly - £1,000 fine

Outrageous. Much too lenient...

ColinEssex said:
As I know I'll not get points, I see no point in slowing to 30 when its perfectly safe to do 35 ish.

Col

Who the hell wants to ride a bike at 30mph anyway, you might as well get off and walk:mad:

ColinEssex said:
I have my sisters who live in Bristol - so I go there to see them and to pop round friends house for a chinky. If I am on the bike I always go solo, there and back in a day. If 'er indoors is coming we go in the car, hotel overnight.

The little day trips down to the south coast are a day out for me on the bike, primarily to chill. I generally do around 250 miles. If its nice, I may do one next week.

The Spanish thing is a 2 week holiday (October time) alone on the bike. I like to look at Spanish culture and architecture so tend to visit 'out-of-the-way' places where they don't speak English, which gives me the opportunity to practice Spanish. Many buildings in little towns and villages go back to the Moors in the 12th and 13th centuries.

The 3500 mile one was unusual. I rode down through France to the border about 850 miles then toured round Spain (a pre-planned route but no accommodation booked) down to Malaga in the south then went back up to Santander in the north (via Madrid) to get the ferry to Plymouth. No ferry- bad weather in Bay of Biscay - next ferry 4 days later. So rode 150 odd miles to border with France then went up to Calais then to Dover through the tunnel, hence the extra 1000 miles.

I always ride alone because I want to be able to do what I want and go where I want and not be dictated by a group. Sometimes the weather will make a plan change necessary, if you're alone then its no probs. I usually pop into Madrid for a day or two as I've got friends there. I always book hotels on-the-fly. As I've done it a few times, I know where there are some nice little places.

Col

I guess there are upsides and downsides to the solo/group option... I hate trying to make everyone happy with the food, when do we stop, etc... What
a pain... :rolleyes:

I would like to take 2 months off and go to the west coast via a southern route, go up the coast and come back on a northen route and be able to get up in the am when I want and stop for the evening when I want.... :) :) :)

I recently put a detachable windsheild on my scooter - If I hadn't had that I don't think I could'a done 750 miles...:o We probably avg'd 70+ mph on the open road...:eek:

Rich said:
That's disgusting! You should be reported to the Feds:eek: :p

I bet you didn't know a tractor would go that fast huh? :p :p

KenHigg said:
I guess there are upsides and downsides to the solo/group option... I hate trying to make everyone happy with the food, when do we stop, etc... What
a pain... :rolleyes:
Yep its a pain:rolleyes: In Spain you don't eat till 10pm at night anyway and the shops are open till 8:30pm so its nice to wander round and end in a bar / restaurant.

I would like to take 2 months off and go to the west coast via a southern route, go up the coast and come back on a northen route and be able to get up in the am when I want and stop for the evening when I want.... :) :) :)
That sounds good - I've seen pictures of Montana, that looks nice.

I recently put a detachable windsheild on my scooter - If I hadn't had that I don't think I could'a done 750 miles...:o We probably avg'd 70+ mph on the open road...:eek:

I wouldn't contemplate a long ride without a screen. Your 'scooter' is a Harley tractor isn't it?:D ;) so do you ride it to work?

Col

ColinEssex said:
That sounds good - I've seen pictures of Montana, that looks nice.

That's where the guy in Red October wanted to go in his SUV wasn't it? :D

ColinEssex said:
I wouldn't contemplate a long ride without a screen. Your 'scooter' is a Harley tractor isn't it?:D ;) so do you ride it to work? Col

I hate to admit that if it's 60 or below when I leave for work in the am (5:30ish :mad:), I don't consider it becasue it's to chilly for me :o Other wise I do like to ride it to work from time to time....:) :)

Rich said:
and it's the start of the hurricane season, isn't it? :p

I think I did see some people enjoying a hurricane while I was in Fla: :eek: :eek: :D

Hurricane.jpg

Rich said:
and so you should be embarrassed, wimp! :cool: :p

I'm not a wimp - I have a harley and closet full of guns, remember? :eek: :mad:

:p :p :p

KenHigg said:
That's where the guy in Red October wanted to go in his SUV wasn't it? :D
Yes, but I hear there's alot of mozzies up there too:mad:

I hate to admit that if it's 60 or below when I leave for work in the am (5:30ish :mad:), I don't consider it becasue it's to chilly for me :o Other wise I do like to ride it to work from time to time....:) :)
Big wuss:rolleyes: I was riding to work in -6c in January / February time. At home time I'd have to scrape ice off the seat!!!

I admit I was wearing a big RAF sheepskin flying jacket to keep the icy blast out.

Col

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom