Sat Nav and Camera Detection

KenHigg said:
I suppose it's just a matter of time before some liberal tries to pull this eurasian shenanigan off in the states... :rolleyes:

I’ve been waiting for this one.

Why is that so called conservatives are so gung hoe to prosecute criminals, but hold it as liberal to prosecute speeders and red light runners.

Many more innocent people are killed by bad drivers than guns.

People forget that driving on the road system is a privilege not a right.

With all the cameras in the uk, driving there must be like a hollywood production :p

If I were running it, I'd put up fake cameras at every other location to trip 'em up...

KenHigg said:
If I were running it, I'd put up fake cameras at every other location to trip 'em up...

Ken

You missed the point. Fake cameras would not get you any revenue.

:rolleyes: :rolleyes:
L

KenHigg said:
I suppose it's just a matter of time before some liberal tries to pull this eurasian shenanigan off in the states... :rolleyes:
You mean caring for and protecting fellow man?
anyway here's a brief list of the real crimes committed in our country

Discarded Wotsit - £75 fine
Pigeons fed - Asbo
Rubbish put out on wrong day - £50 fine
Poundland receipt dropped - £100 fine
Tea party in Parliament Square - £250 fine
Eating crisps while driving - £250 fine
Flashing Simpsons figures on dashboard - £30 fine (overturned)
Dirty Dancing soundtrack played too loudly - £1,000 fine
Wooden door replaced by plastic door without permission - £330 fine plus £1,797.75 costs
Licking CCTV camera to obscure view - Asbo
Officer's sandwich eaten while taking part in police identity parade - six month conditional discharge
All cases in England since 2003

Len Boorman said:
Nothing personal Col but does this not show the absurdity of the situation.

Now you are probably a fairly sensible biker but you know as well as me that it is the inexperienced scooter type jumped up individual who will quickly learn that he can ignore speed limits but they do not have the road savvy to be hazard aware.

I have seen them many times and you know that they are an accident waiting to happen

Len
Len, I was indicating to Ken that the cameras will get you from front or back. I live near a camera on a flat straight road and going along on the bike at 35 gets a flash. As I know I'll not get points, I see no point in slowing to 30 when its perfectly safe to do 35 ish.

I would class myself as "fairly sensible" - I have done advanced biking courses and have attended a BMW one day advanced riding course (Richard Hammond from Top Gear was on it too:D )

I agree with your assessment of the 50cc 'Speedfight' scooter brigade. They
are a definate risk and I cringe at some of the things they do. Its too easy for them to pass the CBT and they think they know it all.:rolleyes:

They should try riding a bike through the centre of Madrid in rush hour - now thats fun!!!:D ;)

Col

Col

Didn't have you pegged as 50cc on of the 'Speedfight' scooter brigade.

What really bugs me is that the people that should get done. the 50cc 'Speedfight' scooter brigade and those at really excessive spped do not get done cos if you are driviong a nicked motor its not a problem but somebody who a) Has a licence, b) has vehicle registed to them, in all probability also has tax and insurance (and always has had) are the majority that get done for a piddly amount when road, traffic and weather conditions do not constitute a potentially hazardous situation

Did hear that the copper doing 159mph familiarising himself with his vehicle who initially got off has had the verdict overturned and he will be back in court.

Copper or not there is no justification for that sort of speed unless of course your beat is Silverstone track on race day. Silly sod would not be able to catch them anyway.

L

jsanders said:
People forget that driving on the road system is a privilege not a right.

Unlike the US, perhaps, :p we still hold this to be a free country. Driving on the road is a right not a priviledge, earned by passing one's driving test and paying for insurance cover as well as tax of 17.5% and more on everything connected with motoring.

Len Boorman said:
Col

Didn't have you pegged as 50cc on of the 'Speedfight' scooter brigade.
I'm not, I have a 400cc Suzuki - having recently sold my 650cc Honda.:D I am debating whether to get a Honda Pan European 1100cc but need to justify the expense to 'er indoors:rolleyes:

The Compulsary Basic Training (CBT) is far too easy, basically if you can ride 50 yards you pass. The Speedfight brigade are becoming more and more popular because of a) ease around town traffic and b) cheap to run with increased fuel costs.
Ridden properly, they are excellent - bikers (of any sort) need to be fully alert at all times to avoid stupid car drivers. Last october I was stationary, waiting at a roundabout for the traffic to clear and a car ran straight into the back of me, I went one way, bike skidded out into the roundabout - how do you forsee that? No amount of advanced training and experience helps there.

Col

BarryMK said:
Unlike the US, perhaps, :p we still hold this to be a free country. Driving on the road is a right not a priviledge, earned by passing one's driving test and paying for insurance cover as well as tax of 17.5% and more on everything connected with motoring.

Those are the exact thing that makes it a privilege. Rights don’t have to be earned, privileges do.

ColinEssex said:
bikers (of any sort) need to be fully alert at all times to avoid stupid car drivers. Col

I think that the good biker has to have an awareness that bikes can be difficult to see,

Drivers need to be aware that bikes can be difficult to see

and

both need to treat all other drivers as complete ***holes

My lad recently bought a Hornet having completed advanced training. He has been driving a car for 13 years and at least has some experience and hazard awareness. It's the kids that worry me. Say one filtering between two lines of slow moving traffic. Somebody up ahead hangs back to allow somebody from a side turning who edged their way out carefully I must say but when you are filtering down the outside at about 35mph who is to blame when the biker cops the bonnet of the car edging from the side turning. In my book filtering at 35 between two lines of traffic is a recipe for disaster

L

Len Boorman said:
I think that the good biker has to have an awareness that bikes can be difficult to see,

Drivers need to be aware that bikes can be difficult to see

and

both need to treat all other drivers as complete ***holes
I agree, both need an awareness that the other could do something unexpected:D

In my book filtering at 35 between two lines of traffic is a recipe for disaster
Filtering is very dangerous. Its not illegal though. On the M25 for example, I have filtered in excess of 20 miles of stationary traffic, the longest I have filtered is 31miles.
Every time I use the M25 there are always queues to filter. I am always careful of possible "lane switchers" who never check their wing mirrors. If a cars front wheels are not straight (for example) it may suddenly pull out - so watch it!!!
I am amazed at bike couriers who filter the same traffic at speeds in excess of 50mph - I suppose my average M25 filtering speed is 30 to 40 and the couriers whizz past me:rolleyes:

Col

jsanders said:
Rights don’t have to be earned, privileges do.

Nah you got it twisted

Human Rights are granted because you pass the test of being a member of the human race.

The Right to hold a Driving Licence is as a result of passing a test.

Privileges can be granted or revoked at any time without reason or explanation.

L

Not too many side junctions on the M25 I seem to remember, and generally you would be filtering between traffic lines that are all actually going in the same direction. If they are stationary as well then that is a whole different situation

The occassion I spoke of was totally different and really demonstrated that Road Sense is the key to safety.

L

ColinEssex said:
I'm not, I have a 400cc Suzuki - having recently sold my 650cc Honda.:D I am debating whether to get a Honda Pan European 1100cc but need to justify the expense to 'er indoors:rolleyes:

The Compulsary Basic Training (CBT) is far too easy, basically if you can ride 50 yards you pass. The Speedfight brigade are becoming more and more popular because of a) ease around town traffic and b) cheap to run with increased fuel costs.
Ridden properly, they are excellent - bikers (of any sort) need to be fully alert at all times to avoid stupid car drivers. Last october I was stationary, waiting at a roundabout for the traffic to clear and a car ran straight into the back of me, I went one way, bike skidded out into the roundabout - how do you forsee that? No amount of advanced training and experience helps there.

Col

Is this what you have?

Suzuki%20Burgman%20250.jpg

Thats the one. Lightening acceleration and cruises at 100 (so I understand;) )
Brilliant in town, 65 to the gallon - 78 on a run, and carries my laptop and its case stored under the seat. Barge to the front of traffic light queues and you're away before the first car has moved:D

I would prefer a Honda Pan European for touring round Spain though.

Col

ColinEssex said:
Brilliant in town, 65 to the gallon - 78 on a run, and carries my laptop and its case stored under the seat. Barge to the front of traffic light queues and you're away before the first car has moved:D

Col

Where do they cram 400cc? Is it shaft drive? Is this the one you drove on your extended trip through europe?

ColinEssex said:

Col
and the cameras cannot see the number plates
:D :D :D :D :D

KenHigg said:
Where do they cram 400cc? Is it shaft drive? Is this the one you drove on your extended trip through europe?
Do you measure your engines in cu ins? Its a single pot engine (the 650cc version is a twin cylinder) in the mid position. Its a belt (like a chain) drive.

I only got it last september. I plan to go down to France and Spain on it later in the year. The 650cc version may be better for touring perhaps. I've done 3000 miles on it so far, and done trips to West of England and toured along the south coast on it and popped into London (45 miles away).

When I came back from Bristol on it (180 mile trip) I did that in 2hrs 25mins, average speed of 72mph. That included road works sections 40mph limit on the M4.

Col

Len Boorman said:
and the cameras cannot see the number plates
:D :D :D :D :D
They would need a really high speed film to catch scooter doing 100:D

ColinEssex said:
Do you measure your engines in cu ins? Its a single pot engine (the 650cc version is a twin cylinder) in the mid position. Its a belt (like a chain) drive.

I only got it last september. I plan to go down to France and Spain on it later in the year. The 650cc version may be better for touring perhaps. I've done 3000 miles on it so far, and done trips to West of England and toured along the south coast on it and popped into London (45 miles away).

When I came back from Bristol on it (180 mile trip) I did that in 2hrs 25mins, average speed of 72mph. That included road works sections 40mph limit on the M4.

Col
Most older cars or cars with the big engines are mearsured in cu ins. A lot are measured in liters. My truck (small) is a 3 liter. Most bikes are cc's. My scooter is a 1450cc.

3000miles?!?! I just did 750 mile roundtrip diddy to Florida last week end and was worn to a frazzle...:eek:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom