Sat Nav and Camera Detection

ColinEssex said:
Yes, but I hear there's alot of mozzies up there too:mad:

Big wuss:rolleyes: I was riding to work in -6c in January / February time. At home time I'd have to scrape ice off the seat!!!

I admit I was wearing a big RAF sheepskin flying jacket to keep the icy blast out.

Col

How far is your drive to work? I think mine is about 21 miles... :mad:

KenHigg said:
I'm not a wimp - I have a harley and closet full of guns, remember? :eek: :mad:

:p :p :p

Harleys' are those big noisey motorbikes. :rolleyes:

Saw something about a spray-on, hyper-reflective coating that you apply to your plates and the glare caused by the flash makes the plate unreadable. Haven't seen any actual results, though. If it works, it would seem to be the most cost effective method of avoiding the cameras.

KenHigg said:
I was drafting behind a Gold Wing :D
Right where a Harley belongs:D I have a 1980 Gold Wing that I positively adore, although it's falling apart and receiving some much needed TLC at the moment. Have a friend that rides a softtail and we have the Harley vs. Honda thing all the time.:D

Bodisathva said:
Saw something about a spray-on, hyper-reflective coating that you apply to your plates and the glare caused by the flash makes the plate unreadable. Haven't seen any actual results, though. If it works, it would seem to be the most cost effective method of avoiding the cameras.

Right where a Harley belongs:D I have a 1980 Gold Wing that I positively adore, although it's falling apart and receiving some much needed TLC at the moment. Have a friend that rides a softtail and we have the Harley vs. Honda thing all the time.:D

One of the guys I went to Fla with rode '82 Silver Wing. That thing rode like it was on rails...:rolleyes:

KenHigg said:
One of the guys I went to Fla with rode '82 Silver Wing. That thing rode like it was on rails...:rolleyes:

Rode like it was on rails? What does that mean? Is that good or bad?

selenau837 said:
Rode like it was on rails? What does that mean? Is that good or bad?

Is was a really smooth ride and the bike was quick and very nimble... But then what bike wouldn't be when compared to tractor...:rolleyes:

KenHigg said:
Is was a really smooth ride and the bike was quick and very nimble... But then what bike wouldn't be when compared to tractor...:rolleyes:

I'll take your word for it! ;)

In '80 the GoldWing (GL1100) was first offered with all of the touring gizmos on it...before that, it was just Honda's entry into the Super-Bike class, so the bike itself actually has a racing heritage. Also 1980 was the first year they came with the air-glide suspension. Mine has the tuneable air-glide but no fairings or saddlebags...it still looks like a bike...in need of a paint job and new chrome, but a bike, none the less:eek:

Bodisathva said:
Saw something about a spray-on, hyper-reflective coating that you apply to your plates and the glare caused by the flash makes the plate unreadable.
If a plate is sprayed with this, it looks different from normal. In the UK this is an offence and carries a heavy fine. As does having letters and numbers smaller than the legal limit.

The best tourer motorbike and one that can be used in towns is the Honda Pan European (in my opinion) Although, having had one for 2 years I did find it heavy (ish) in town traffic. The Pan European is used extensively by the UK police.

What bikes do the US police use? is it still Kawasaki? or BMW?

Col

KenHigg said:
I thought most of them were Harleys :confused:

In the USA different states used different police bikes. The Harley was the original, but was then superceeded in alot of states by the Kawasaki K1000P - the classic CHiPS bike.

Then the California police changed from Kawasaki to BMW R1100RT in the late 1990's

Col

ColinEssex said:
In the USA different states used different police bikes. The Harley was the original, but was then superceeded in alot of states by the Kawasaki K1000P - the classic CHiPS bike.

Then the California police changed from Kawasaki to BMW R1100RT in the late 1990's

Col

You're a walking encyclopedia...:)

There was a resurgence in the Harley usage after the Harley employees put the company back on the straight and narrow...kind of a "support for the guys that fixed their company" type thing. (of course there is a Harley factory in York, PA which is only about a half-hour drive from here).

The police bikes started to appear on the local interstates about 2 or 3 weeks ago and I've only seen Hondas in the Harrisburg and Carlisle areas...further South towards the Maryland border, they're using Harleys.

It is a little frightening...the depths of Col's knowledge.

Bodisathva said:
It is a little frightening...the depths of Col's knowledge.

Deadly combo - TV reruns and Google...;)

KenHigg said:
Deadly combo - TV reruns and Google...;)
It didn't come from google actually:rolleyes:

I have a monthly motorbike magazine and they did an article on USA police bikes a few months ago.

Apparently, most US states think the Harley is extremely unreliable and high maintenance - whereas the Japanese and German bikes are not.:D - and they're cheaper than tractors:cool: :p

In the UK, the Honda ST1100 (now the ST1300) is the preferred police bike, although some forces have the BMW R1100RT.

I watched CHiPS last saturday morning whilst having breakfast:rolleyes: :cool:

Col

ColinEssex said:
Apparently, most US states think the Harley is extremely unreliable and high maintenance - whereas the Japanese and German bikes are not.:D
That used to be the case until...15 years(?) or so ago. The company nearly went bankrupt and the employees invested enough to put it back on its feet. During that time, they had engineers from Honda come in and fix the design problems with the engine. Problem was that on startup, it sounded like...a Honda. The engineers then redesigned the "Harley Sound" back into the Japanese design and voila...new life for Harley. Of course 99% of the Harley owners won't own up to those facts:cool:

Bodisathva said:
Problem was that on startup, it sounded like...a Honda. The engineers then redesigned the "Harley Sound" back into the Japanese design
You mean the blowing exhausts sound and the engine that sounds like nails rattling in a tin;) bet Honda loved that:rolleyes:

Col

ColinEssex said:
You mean the blowing exhausts sound and the engine that sounds like nails rattling in a tin;) bet Honda loved that:rolleyes:

Col

I've yet to figure out how the extremely loud pipes are overlooked by the law... If my pinto made that loud of a racket I'd get a ticket...:eek: :p

ColinEssex said:
I believe my signature was created by that poor Honda engineer:eek: :eek:

The stock, factory Harley's actually sound quite docile...and smooth. It's all the aftermarket junk these guys put on them that makes them loud. Harley refers to the sound as "potato, potato". I personally get a headache if I have to follow one...good thing that doesn't happen often.:D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom