Are you an atheist?

Are you an atheist?

• Total voters
Did I read that correctly, it was bolied and fried - then they consulted a vet?

Just noticed this story. Not sure how Christians will interpret this. Is it just coincidence as I think or is it proof that Islam is the true religion?

Hmmm...I think both Elvis and the Virgin Mary were discovered in odd places first. Maybe they're the true god/religion? I can see Peter Griffin starting an Elvis church even now.

The story says that the words were in the gristle, isn't that the bit that you discard, I guess there is a message there.

Brian

i am a devoted catholic..i have strong faith in Him, Our Almighty God..I believe that He has never failed in blessing me everyday..:)
He's already given you nice red font, when us atheists have to make do with black :)

Seems a bit like double-standards, but it's a slightly weird if anyone gets worked up about it.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/west_midlands/7530519.stm
I suspect the reason for this is that they don't want people to use the internet while at work (quite reasonable) but that they don't want to be seen to be opposed to religion for PC reasons.

As Atheism is a lack of belief it obviously isn't a religion so those sites are blocked as well.

It would be interesting to know if they block access to sports sites as well.

I suspect the reason for this is that they don't want people to use the internet while at work (quite reasonable) but that they don't want to be seen to be opposed to religion for PC reasons.
I thought about this, but surely a ban on all non-work related sites wouldn't offend any religious groups?

I thought about this, but surely a ban on all non-work related sites wouldn't offend any religious groups?
No, but it would probably upset the workers quite a bit - I think we can ALL relate to the desire to waste a little time while at work . . . Although in my case, I think I could make a pretty good argument that this site IS work related (or at least part of it is).

I would hope not. The way the ban has been implemented does seem to be discriminatory not just against Atheists but also against Wicca followers. I suppose you could argue that if an employee is dealy with a member of the public who is quoting religious reasons for something it could be work related.

I would hope not. The way the ban has been implemented does seem to be discriminatory not just against Atheists but also against Wicca followers. I suppose you could argue that if an employee is dealy with a member of the public who is quoting religious reasons for something it could be work related.
Plus, surely a witch or wizard could find a way around the ban.
What are crystal balls for, after all?

No, but it would probably upset the workers quite a bit - I think we can ALL relate to the desire to waste a little time while at work . . . Although in my case, I think I could make a pretty good argument that this site IS work related (or at least part of it is).
Back when I worked for one of the big oil companies, there was an 'official' ban on all non-work sites, but it wasn't actually enforced by any software settings/restrictions. Every month they used to publish the top 10 most visited sites and one month it consisted of something like
1. Cheap Holidays
2. Cricket Scores
3. Skiiing
4. Football Scores
5. Skiing
6. BBC
7. Share prices
8. Cheap Holidays
9. Weather
10. Company Website

Back when I worked for one of the big oil companies, there was an 'official' ban on all non-work sites, but it wasn't actually enforced by any software settings/restrictions. Every month they used to publish the top 10 most visited sites and one month it consisted of something like
1. Cheap Holidays
2. Cricket Scores
3. Skiiing
4. Football Scores
5. Skiing
6. BBC
7. Share prices
8. Cheap Holidays
9. Weather
10. Company Website

Too bad those damn software engineers have made those restrictions enforceable now . . .

Too bad those damn software engineers have made those restrictions enforceable now . . .
They were back then, nobody ever bothered switching them on.
I think it was rule set up as 'a good idea', but was annoying too many people, so they let it slip.

It may not be polite Barry, but you were talking shite, and Alisa has clarified herself to be an idiot? Sorry I should have said nothing and let you both get on with it?

"It may not be polite?" :rolleyes: You have a gift for understatement as well as arrogance. You are totally blind to anything but your own opinion and when anyone dares to disagree you resort to insult. Hardly the hallmark of the intellectual giant you appear to consider yourself to be.

I have a question for our believing friends. Do you believe that heaven is a physical place to which bodies could ascend as Jesus is supposed to have done (see the book of Acts in the New Testament) and his mother as the Catholics believe. Or do you believe that it is just a metaphor for a spiritual afterlife. Or perhaps you have a different view as to what it is. Please let us know what you think

I have a question for our believing friends. Do you believe that heaven is a physical place to which bodies could ascend as Jesus is supposed to have done (see the book of Acts in the New Testament) and his mother as the Catholics believe. Or do you believe that it is just a metaphor for a spiritual afterlife. Or perhaps you have a different view as to what it is. Please let us know what you think

Don't you think that question relies on our 3rd Dimensional view of physical ? If we are not the centre of the universe, and I like to think I'm not conceited enough to think we are, the it is possible that the spirit moves to another dimension after this one. It could be similar to reincarnation, or the birth of a child in our "physical" world. The possibilities are infinate. Heaven may be the name they give to their area of existence much as we call ours planet Earth.

If I believe at all, and, as I've said, my views change on this almost daily, it would be that when we die the essence of everything we have experienced somehow melds with that of everyone else's. So, if that can be called "Heaven" there are no individuals as we perceive them here. :confused::D

Don't you think that question relies on our 3rd Dimensional view of physical ? If we are not the centre of the universe, and I like to think I'm not conceited enough to think we are, the it is possible that the spirit moves to another dimension after this one. It could be similar to reincarnation, or the birth of a child in our "physical" world. The possibilities are infinate. Heaven may be the name they give to their area of existence much as we call ours planet Earth.

If I believe at all, and, as I've said, my views change on this almost daily, it would be that when we die the essence of everything we have experienced somehow melds with that of everyone else's. So, if that can be called "Heaven" there are no individuals as we perceive them here. :confused::D
I hear what you are saying and it is not an unreasonable view. But surely if someone believes that a physical 3 dimensional body actually ascends to Heaven then this is not about a spiritual heaven but a physical one in 3 dimensions as well. I know that the story of Mary ascending did not appear before 600AD and that it only became a matter of Catholic Dogma in 1950 so I am not sure what evidence there is for this event. At the moment it seems to be a case of "You must believe it because the Pope said so". Perhaps some of our catholic friends could explain this

I believe it is a physical place.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom