Oh the Places You'll Go

pbaldy said:
The Luxor is nice, and the elevators in the main building are cool (they go up at an angle, roughly following the line of the hotel itself).

I think they call them inclinators :cool: and if your not paying attention you can fall sideways when they stop, even without the aid of a drink:D

Brian

We decided upon the MGM Grand. yea..... about $179 a night.... but I got the Bungalow King Suite for that price.

Cindy... that is so cool that you are going to be there at the same time.
We should definitely plan to at least say hello in person to each other while we are within a stone's throw from each other.

Have you thought about doing the Canyon while you are there?
My husband wants to go "all out" and do the helicopter tour. From what I've seen so far, that's damn expensive! BUT... he has a point... will we ever go back? Will this be our only chance to see this wonder? And if we don't do it, will we regret it? I've missed many opportunities in life due to financial need. Now that we have a little extra and don't have too much trouble keeping up with the bills, we shouldn't miss out on the big things anymore.

TessB said:
We decided upon the MGM Grand. yea..... about $179 a night.... but I got the Bungalow King Suite for that price.

That's actually a pretty good price I think, maybe because you booked early? We did decide on the Luxor, I cemented the reservation yesterday and paid a deposit. I also opted for a larger than normal room, even though it will be a bit of a money crunch. It has a spa tub in the bedroom though. It was the only way we could stay in the pyramid and also have a tub of any kind. The regular rooms have only stand up showers. It will be nice, since we'll have our littleun with us, to have some sort of a tub to bathe her in, whirlpool tub or not. It's either that or sponge bathe her in the sink. :rolleyes: Also good for Jim to rest his bones in, before and after he lifts in the meet. It's also about 770 sq. ft. so plenty of room for her to run around in. I was actually leaning towards the MGM Grand before our Doctor friend told us he might be able to help us out at the Luxor, wouldn't that have been a coincidence? Too bad our pal couldn't help us out, but I'm glad we chose the Luxor anyway. I'm sure Emily will love the pyramid.

TessB said:
Cindy... that is so cool that you are going to be there at the same time.
We should definitely plan to at least say hello in person to each other while we are within a stone's throw from each other.

Yes, we definitely should at least meet each other while we are there. I think the Luxor and the MGM Grand are pretty close to each other so I'm sure we can arrange something. You will be the first "forum member" I'll meet in person. :cool:

TessB said:
Have you thought about doing the Canyon while you are there?
My husband wants to go "all out" and do the helicopter tour. From what I've seen so far, that's damn expensive! BUT... he has a point... will we ever go back? Will this be our only chance to see this wonder? And if we don't do it, will we regret it? I've missed many opportunities in life due to financial need. Now that we have a little extra and don't have too much trouble keeping up with the bills, we shouldn't miss out on the big things anymore.

We haven't really talked about what we're going to do yet. Neither one of us are big gamblers. We're coming in late on Thursday and he lifts on Saturday morning so we probably won't do a whole heck of a lot of sightseeing before then as we can't have him getting run down and tired before he lifts. Late Saturday and Sunday will be our best times for getting out and about. We won't be hermits before then, but we won't be doing anything that requires an inordinate amount of walking, etc. My mother-in-law and her husband will be going as well to watch him lift and are staying at the Luxor so we may have one night where we can leave Emily with them and do some things on our own. How much does it cost to do the helicopter ride, and how long does it last? Someone else was telling us the trip over to the Hoover Dam was worthwhile also. We haven't really talked about anything yet, we've just been scrambling to make our arrangements.

Last edited:
You know, if you both wind up meeting up in Las Vegas, you HAVE to take some pictures and post them here. That is so cool!!

And I am so envious!! I need a vacation badly, and I don't think I will be able to get away with the baby til she is a bit older.

Lisa

lmnop7854 said:
You know, if you both wind up meeting up in Las Vegas, you HAVE to take some pictures and post them here. That is so cool!!

And I am so envious!! I need a vacation badly, and I don't think I will be able to get away with the baby til she is a bit older.

It will be cool! Neither my hubby nor myself have ever been so we are both looking forward to it. It's too bad you and Selena can't come too. :D

I know what you mean about the baby. Emily just turned 2 and she's just to the point where we feel like we can take her without it being a huge hassle. It still will be a huge hassle, but not as much as it would have been earlier. The bad thing right now is that we are trying to do potty training so I guess I'm going to have to drag her Dora the Explorer potty seat all the way to Vegas and back. :rolleyes:

MrsGorilla said:
It will be cool! Neither my hubby nor myself have ever been so we are both looking forward to it. It's too bad you and Selena can't come too. :D

I don't know if it has ever been mentioned before on this forum, but has anyone ever had the brilliant idea of having like a yearly bash where the forum members were invited? Or even a select bunch of 'cooler people? I think that would be cool.

MrsGorilla said:
I know what you mean about the baby. Emily just turned 2 and she's just to the point where we feel like we can take her without it being a huge hassle. It still will be a huge hassle, but not as much as it would have been earlier. The bad thing right now is that we are trying to do potty training so I guess I'm going to have to drag her Dora the Explorer potty seat all the way to Vegas and back. :rolleyes:

Yeah, my vacation days are over for a little while. My sister was brave enough to take her 10 month old baby (when my neice was 10 months old way back when) on vacation to Myrtle Beach. Need less to say, my sister didn't have much of a vacation. I just couldn't do it. And then she packed the kids up again the next year, when her son was only 6 weeks old. No freakin' way. You couldn't pay me enough.

Have fun with that toilet training thing on vacation. :D

Lisa

We had a couple friends drop out of our Vegas trip last minute.
Now... I can't remember if they bought tickets to the Blue Man Group or to Tina and Tony's wedding.... but, Cindy, they can't use them and are trying to see if they can sell them and get at least most of their money back.

Any interest in either of these shows? I'll find out which show they had tickets to. I know it was either a Wednesday night or Thursday night show. (We were going to BOTH and I can't remember which one they were joining us in.)

TessB said:
We had a couple friends drop out of our Vegas trip last minute.
Now... I can't remember if they bought tickets to the Blue Man Group or to Tina and Tony's wedding.... but, Cindy, they can't use them and are trying to see if they can sell them and get at least most of their money back.

Any interest in either of these shows? I'll find out which show they had tickets to. I know it was either a Wednesday night or Thursday night show. (We were going to BOTH and I can't remember which one they were joining us in.)

We had definitely talked about going to see the Blue Man Group. I haven't heard much about Tina and Tony's wedding. We aren't arriving until late Thursday afternoon though, so it would kind of depend on what time the show is, how long it takes us to get from airport to hotel and through the check-in, etc. We would also need to see if the m-i-l could watch Emily for a little while. Definitely let me know which one it is though and I'll ask my hubby about it.

Just confirmed... the tix are for Tina and Tony's wedding on Wed night. So, the tickets wouldn't be for your time frame... :(
We ARE seeing the Blue Man Group on Thursday night.
I just booked an SUV tour of the grand canyon for Friday. Went with a 6 in 1 tour that included the Boulder City, Joshua Tree Forest, hoover dam, a helicopter landing on the floor of the canyon, a 20 minute pontoon boat ride on the river.... yadda yadda yadda... as they say. http://www.lasvegasgrandcanyontour.com/adventure/grand-canyon-6-in-1-SUV-tour.htm
You can check it out... pretty darn expensive, but the hubby has a point when he says "It is an opportunity of a lifetime... why miss it because you're stingy?" (The women in my family HATE spending money... we've been so used to being poor all our lives that we know we don't want to ever be there again.)

No plans for Saturday yet... I believe you said late Saturday was a good time to possibly bump into each other. I'll send you an email with my cell phone number.... :) Maybe we could arrange an opportunity to bump into each other over a drink.... kind of a "blind date" plan in reverse..... This way, if you're stunningly gorgeous and my husband starts drooling, hell... we've only planned one drink... lol... and I can make a humble exit. Note to reference: "Blind Date" plans usually include escape routes if the date turns out to be physically repulsive :) I'm already a little apprehensive of the seductive nature Sin City will be offerring. I'm not looking forward to my husband being handed naked calling cards and such....
So heads up... If it's one drink and I'm gone, consider it a supreme compliment that your beauty has just put me to shame. (uh... you'll find I'm surprisingly honest about this type of thing. It's not something I'm proud of... being vulnerable to jealousy and insecurity... but I AM proud I'm willing to admit it and be honest about it... because maybe I'm not the only one who feels this way.... but I'm the one who will buck up and confess it.)

TessB said:
, if you're stunningly gorgeous and my husband starts drooling, . . . . . .
If Mr Gorilla is about, your hubby will not drool. Remember Mr Gorilla is a huge bodybuilder:eek:

Col

TessB said:
So heads up... If it's one drink and I'm gone, consider it a supreme compliment that your beauty has just put me to shame. (uh... you'll find I'm surprisingly honest about this type of thing. It's not something I'm proud of... being vulnerable to jealousy and insecurity... but I AM proud I'm willing to admit it and be honest about it... because maybe I'm not the only one who feels this way.... but I'm the one who will buck up and confess it.)

You know, I'm sure your hubby's eyes will not waiver while on the trip. There can't possible be a woman as beautiful and as brilliant as you are there, :D that will draw his attention away from you. ;)

Besides if he does, a good whap to the back of the head will bring his focus back to you. ;)

selenau837 said:
You know, I'm sure your hubby's eyes will not waiver while on the trip. There can't possible be a woman as beautiful and as brilliant as you are there, :D that will draw his attention away from you. ;)

Besides if he does, a good whap to the back of the head will bring his focus back to you. ;)
and if Mr Gorilla does it, he'll be in traction for weeks:D ;)

Col

ColinEssex said:

Col

Yeah, I've heard!! ;)

So, I'm sure he'll be on his best behavior.

TessB said:
Just confirmed... the tix are for Tina and Tony's wedding on Wed night. So, the tickets wouldn't be for your time frame... :(

Too bad...

TessB said:
We ARE seeing the Blue Man Group on Thursday night.

I would like to see them, but we'll have to see what we can fit into our schedule. Since we'll have Emily with us, it depends on if/when my m-i-l can watch her, as they don't recommend bringing kids under 5 to see them.

TessB said:
I just booked an SUV tour of the grand canyon for Friday. Went with a 6 in 1 tour that included the Boulder City, Joshua Tree Forest, hoover dam, a helicopter landing on the floor of the canyon, a 20 minute pontoon boat ride on the river.... yadda yadda yadda... as they say.

That looks like loads of fun, and it really doesn't seem expensive for all the things you get to do. I doubt we'll have time for something like that though. :(

TessB said:
No plans for Saturday yet... I believe you said late Saturday was a good time to possibly bump into each other. I'll send you an email with my cell phone number.... :) Maybe we could arrange an opportunity to bump into each other over a drink.... kind of a "blind date" plan in reverse..... This way, if you're stunningly gorgeous and my husband starts drooling, hell... we've only planned one drink... lol... and I can make a humble exit.

Sounds good. I'll send you an e-mail with my cell number too.

TessB said:
I'm already a little apprehensive of the seductive nature Sin City will be offerring. I'm not looking forward to my husband being handed naked calling cards and such....

I know what you mean. :D But I guess I'm not too worried about it since we'll be so busy with the meet and all...

ColinEssex said:

Mwah ha ha ha. :D Seriously though Tess, I don't think you'll have to worry. Well, about me anyway. :rolleyes:

Well, sorry to say, Cindy and I never were able to coordinate a convenient "crossing of the paths"
I did, however, speak to her while in Vegas!

Cindy, hope you finally made your way out of the Hilton! :)

TessB said:
Well, sorry to say, Cindy and I never were able to coordinate a convenient "crossing of the paths"
I did, however, speak to her while in Vegas!

Cindy, hope you finally made your way out of the Hilton! :)

Ugh, we didn't get back to the hotel until 11:00 P.M. and we were all exhausted. We got there at 7:00 A.M. for him to start warming up, so it was a very long day. I'm sorry we didn't get to meet. :(

Well that's a shame to hear. How was the trip in general? Have a good time? What did you do?

We didn't get to do much. Couldn't do anything on Friday because Jim was lifting on Saturday and couldn't do much walking, etc. We walked around a bit Sunday, went down to Mandalay Bay and looked at a few things. Emily got sick last week and still had a runny nose and cough the whole time we were there, and my m-i-l was sick too with a viral infection and had a cough the whole time. Saturday was the day I was hoping we would be able to leave Emily with the in-laws for a while to do some things on our own, since the powerlifting meets we have been to in the past usually last about 4-6 hours (rather than 15 hours :rolleyes: ) It lasted so long partly because they had so many lifters show up (because it was in Vegas, I'm sure) and partly because they didn't organize it and run it properly.

Jim went down by himself on Sunday night and played a couple of slots and a video poker machine for a couple of hours after Emily and I went to bed, and that was about it. :( I guess we'll have to go back again strictly on vacation so we can see some things...

Well that's a bummer! :( I hope everyone feels better soon.

MrsGorilla said:
Ugh, we didn't get back to the hotel until 11:00 P.M. and we were all exhausted. We got there at 7:00 A.M. for him to start warming up, so it was a very long day. I'm sorry we didn't get to meet. :(

Did you get to go on the Strip? :confused:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom