Tipping

Rich said:
News programmes report the news, it's not the job of news reporters to enter or give an opinion on political affairs or the rationale behind a law

Why would they care over there if we have helmet laws or not? :confused:

MrsGorilla said:

We've always had international news, especially some of the vagaries of the American way of life, that's why we're so erudite on international affairs :cool: :D

Rich said:
What rationale, elected government either has the power to make law or it doesn't, irrespective of individual protest or slant, that's where rule by majority vote comes in. Don't you guys believe in majority rule?
http://www.usconstitution.net/const.html

See Ammendment X

Rich said:
News programmes report the news, it's not the job of news reporters to enter or give an opinion on political affairs or the rationale behind a law
True, it is not the job of news reporters to give their opinion. It is their job to report on the rationale. If a law is controversial, a news report that says, "Such and such law is proposed and it is controversial. End of story" is practically worthless. A news report that says, "Such and such law is being proposed because of x and it is controversial because of y" is informative.

MrsGorilla said:
If they don't keep well-informed about our affairs, they can't determine precisely how we're doing everything wrong. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Rich said:
We've always had international news, especially some of the vagaries of the American way of life, that's why we're so erudite on international affairs :cool: :D

International news is one thing, but...helmet laws? :D

KrajTrue said:
is[/u] their job to report on the rationale. If a law is controversial, a news report that says, "Such and such law is proposed and it is controversial. End of story" is practically worthless. A news report that says, "Such and such law is being proposed because of x and it is controversial because of y" is informative.

How do we know the reporter or producer isn't presenting a biased version of the reasoning behind the law ?
We'd rather be presented with just the facts and decide for ourselves

MrsGorilla said:
International news is one thing, but...helmet laws? :D

Somebody over here obviously thinks it's newsworthy and on a regular basis, makes a change from all the miserable crap we keep having to watch :mad: :D

Rich said:
How do we know the reporter or producer isn't presenting a biased version of the reasoning behind the law ?
We'd rather be presented with just the facts and decide for ourselves
The arguments both sides put forth on an issue are facts. Side A says this, side B says that. Those are facts. Can they be presented in a biased manner? Sure, but so can any facts. Actually, facts are often the worst offenders because bias is more readily recognized when in an opinion and the influence of the bias is more easily avoided. When facts are presented with bias, though, it's much less obvious and people tend to be less skeptical.

I notice that you used to spell defence correctly, who was it that spelt it wrongly to start with and why wasn't it picked up, didn't you have spell checkers years ago, or was it just laziness or your part ? :confused: :p

The one thing I am against is people who tip poorly because the food was not prepared right. It's one thing if the order was improperly written but if the cook messed up, why penalize the waitress?

I also did not know it was customary to tip a barber/hairdresser until a few years ago. Ever since I've been tipping $5 per haircut. If I had to tip the barber who cut my hair as a teenager he would have owed me money. :D

ColinEssex said:
The perspective is mine
Kraj said:
Ah, in that case there's no need to continue any discussion.

Sod you then:mad:

So you think I'm not worthy enough for you to have discussions with? :mad:

Get yourself out of the clouds, and get back to the real world - if you know what that is:mad:

Here's a word you may not know - arrogant
"1) Having or displaying a sense of overbearing self-worth or self-importance.
2) Marked by or arising from a feeling or assumption of one's superiority toward others"

Get used to it - you'll hear it alot as you wind your way through life:mad:

(ref: dictionary.com)

Col

Last edited:
ColinEssex said:
Sod you then:mad:

So you think I'm not worthy enough for you to have discussions with? :mad:

Get yourself out of the clouds, and get back to the real world - if you know what that is:mad:

Here's a word you may not know - arrogant
"1) Having or displaying a sense of overbearing self-worth or self-importance.
2) Marked by or arising from a feeling or assumption of one's superiority toward others"

Get used to it - you'll hear it alot as you wind your way through life:mad:

(ref: dictionary.com)

Col

Now now... No need to be vulgar just because you think him to be arrogant. We've felt that way about you for some time now...:rolleyes:

KenHigg said:
Now now... No need to be vulgar just because you think him to be arrogant. We've felt that way about you for some time now...:rolleyes:
Ken, I don't go round saying that if someone states their own perspective on something then its not worthy of further discussion. Is it vulgar to call someone arrogant? I wouldn't think so.

I'm also well aware of what you think of me;)

Surely my thoughts and perspectives are just as good as someone elses.

Obviously not

Col

ColinEssex said:
... Is it vulgar to call someone arrogant? I wouldn't think so.

Hum.. It was 'SOD you' that seemed vulgar to me. Dictionary.com indcates it is:

sod2 ( P ) Pronunciation Key (sd) Chiefly British Vulgar Slang
n.
A sodomite.
A person regarded as obnoxious or contemptible.
A fellow; a guy: “Poor sod, he almost got lucky for once” (Jack Higgins).

tr.v. sod·ded, sod·ding, sods
To damn.

Phrasal Verb:
sod off
Used in the imperative to dismiss someone angrily.
ColinEssex said:
I'm also well aware of what you think of me;)

What we think of you...;)

ColinEssex said:
Surely my thoughts and perspectives are just as good as someone elses.

Obviously not

Col

The problem is that you rant and rave so much about how you hate Americans, just to get some of us wound up, that when you do have a legitimate point to make, some of us don't feel inclined to take you seriously...

KenHigg said:
The problem is that you rant and rave so much about how you hate Americans, just to get some of us wound up, that when you do have a legitimate point to make, some of us don't feel inclined to take you seriously...
So its ok to call someone a "horses ass"? thats not vulgar or offensive?

I was not winding up anybody, I was merely giving my thoughts on tipping, and I have stated many times I do not hate Americans.

Anyway - sod it all:mad:

I'm off - you can say whatever you like - I'm too tired and cheesed off to care:(

Col

ColinEssex said:
... I'm too tired and cheesed off to care:(

Col

Are you miffed by the comments in this thread or something else?

Edit: Hum... He has packed his tent and left town. I guess he was in a huff over the comments in this thread. I suppose sometimes we do reap what we sow... :(

Last edited:
Something else in regard to the tipping thing that may not have been brought up; If you do tip well, and if the person waiting on you knows that, you are sometimes likely to get better service than the next person...

KenHigg said:
Something else in regard to the tipping thing that may not have been brought up; If you do tip well, and if the person waiting on you knows that, you are sometimes likely to get better service than the next person...

I see, so money buys you better service, that pretty much sums up the American way of life eh :rolleyes:

Rich said:
I see, so money buys you better service, that pretty much sums up the American way of life eh :rolleyes:

Oh Ricky, your prattle grows more feeble with each passing day...:p

Dear Colin,

My comment meant two things: I asked you whether your comments were coming from the UK perspective or the US perspective. Since there is a difference in wage laws between the two countries, whether you should tip for standard service or only excellent service depends on which country you are in. Your answer to my question was "my perspective", which could either mean the UK perspective or literally your perspective. 1.) If you meant the UK perspective, there is no point in arguing because in that case and I am generally in agreement with you; I only disagree with your comments in the US context. 2.) If you literally meant your perspective, you are refusing to provide a simple answer to a simple question that I intended nothing more than as assistance to me in understanding your point of view, therefore there is no reason to continue a discussion because you are not interested in one.

Perhaps next time you feel an insulting comment has been made toward you, you should ask for clarification before slinging insults and name calling. I might also suggest you take a good hard look at your own behavior before getting so upset about someone else's. The irony is if I were suggesting the idea that angered you so much - that your perspective is not worth listening to - your temper tantrum pretty much would have proven my point.

Rich said:
Dictionary.com said:
mon·ey
n. pl. mon·eys or mon·ies
A medium that can be exchanged for goods and services
:rolleyes: :p :D

Last edited:
Back on track:

For better or worse, sensible and fair or not, tipping is ingrained in American culture. It is simply expected in all non-fast food restaurants (though not for take-away): 0-10% if you're displeased with the service -- otherwise, usually 15%-20% left on the table or added to the credit card bill (you rarely if ever hand it directly to a waiter or waitress); to a cab driver (15-20%); to a hotel porter who carries your bags ($1 or more per bag), to the barber, or as they now call themselves, stylists (15%-25%).

Also, in the "better" hotels many people will leave spare change if not a dollar or two in their room for the maid.

Typically (get it?) most people I know will only tip above 15%-20% if they feel they've received exceptional service or if they want to impress their friends or date the waitress.

Some have pushed tipping to new limits, not in the amount they leave but in the service (or lack of) they perform. For example, I once saw a "tip jar" (so labeled) in a Starbucks placed at the counter. Seems absurd to me but I did see a guy pour change into the thing. Then again, I haven't been to a lot of Starbucks and not one in many years, but I assume this is still happening. Also, restaurants will often include a "compulsory tip" (an oxymoron) in the bill for larger parties (over 10 people or so), and in hotels it has become customary for tips (15-18%) to be automatically added to room service meals -- you must read the fine print or you might be double-tipping.

As I recall, tipping doesn't exist in NZ... That right? Or is that an overstatement? In the UK, then, as a rough percentage, how many people tip in a restaurant? 0% 10% 50% 75% etc?

Regards,
Tim

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom