Gun violence

Besides that, Isaac, if I were in really short shorts in cold weather, I'd do everything in my power to avoid being charged with assault with a dead weapon.

@Isaac
Given what is described here, every tourist from a peace-loving country must be given a handgun when entering the USA. Or should your visitors be worse off?

Rubbish? No, Col, "rubbish" is actually the "drop a loaded gun, it will go off and kill someone" argument. THAT is rubbish.
Look, all I'm saying is that it is possible for a gun to fire accidentally and kill someone- however remote that may be. Pat said guns don't kill, which is a lie again. Yes, it is a very low probability but could happen. Therefore, Pat's weak excuse is untrue.
Col

Hey Doc, how many times have we argued about gun ownership in the last 20 odd years? I remember me and Rich arguing with Cindy (Mrs Gorilla) about being a Christian and still owning a gun and is ready to kill a human being. Incidentally, we still keep in touch.
Col

@Isaac
Given what is described here, every tourist from a peace-loving country must be given a handgun when entering the USA. Or should your visitors be worse off?

Well, when I drive to Mexico, I keep a hammer under the car seat. Or does that make me worse off?

Nice that you share your opinion.
I can't see any sense in it, I probably don't understand this kind of humor.

#3 is the question of carrying on your person. I have never done that, mostly because of the clothing/how-would-it-work type of question.
Concealed carry has it's issues. Depending on what I'm doing I either carry my 9mm or 25 cal. My problem is the 9mm is heavy and when I carry on hip it tends to make me keep having to pull up my pants. I try to carry it in shoulder holster when I can. The 25 cal I can slip in any pocket.

Look, all I'm saying is that it is possible for a gun to fire accidentally and kill someone- however remote that may be. Pat said guns don't kill, which is a lie again. Yes, it is a very low probability but could happen. Therefore, Pat's weak excuse is untrue.
Col

The weakness in YOUR argument is this: The probability of a dropped gun accidentally going off is FAR LESS than the probability of someone's airbags in their automobile discharging. It is FAR LESS than the odds of someone's foot slipping off the brake and striking the accelerator. But cars don't kill people - people kill people. Are we going to ban automobiles because of how dangerous they are? How weak is your argument now?

Concealed carry has it's issues. Depending on what I'm doing I either carry my 9mm or 25 cal. My problem is the 9mm is heavy and when I carry on hip it tends to make me keep having to pull up my pants. I try to carry it in shoulder holster when I can. The 25 cal I can slip in any pocket.
I mostly carry when I ride, and my vest has an inner pocket made for it. Since I have a concealed carry permit, I have no issues.

I have a lock box in my closet. If an intruder were to invade my house, I would have to rely on my natural "guns" to detain them while my wife got the store-bought one.

I have thought about having it close to my bedside while I slept for quick access, but with two young children in the house who have a knack for getting into things they shouldn't, I don't dare...

Give all the boxes that would check, you must have NEVER had trouble finding a job. When we were feeling cynical about finding good candidates for a company for which I worked at least 3 employers ago, particularly if it had been a nasty day, we said we could shut up the Equal Employment Opportunity folks if we could just find a midget gay black programmer with a hearing deficit, paraplegic, and with a cleft palate.

Never actually found one, though.
I think I hired that guy years ago.

The weakness in YOUR argument is this: The probability of a dropped gun accidentally going off is FAR LESS than the probability of someone's airbags in their automobile discharging. It is FAR LESS than the odds of someone's foot slipping off the brake and striking the accelerator. But cars don't kill people - people kill people. Are we going to ban automobiles because of how dangerous they are? How weak is your argument now?
Not weak at all. Even you admit the probability is there however mini - miniscule. All I'm saying is Pat's comment is not true.
Col

Col I suspect you've lived a long life. How many times has someone broken into your home while you were there? The likelihood is so slim it's nearly non-existent. I've lived in my current house 20 years and I cant think of once that I've locked my doors, even while away on vacation. I'm not even sure I have keys. About the only crime in the neighborhood is kids breaking into unlocked cars and stealing change. Not even a burglary in 20 years.

In high school I had a friend whose little brother shot and killed his other little brother with an unsecured weapon. It devastated the family. I've never forgotten that and I always secure my weapon when I get home even though it's just me and my adult daughter.

To think you're making your family safer by having a loaded gun in mommies night stand when there are kids in the house is ridiculous.
Having a gun in the house increases the odds of something bad happening, that cannot be denied. I once hid xmas presents in a gun closet that I thiought was safe, and my 12 year old son figured out how to open it to see what he was getting for xmas. I had 2 adults try and fail got get in the closet. My kids are all adults now, and they have been exposed to guns. I drilled into them that there is not such thing as an unloaded gun, always assume its loaded.

@ColinEssex
Modern handguns have drop technology built in, revolvers have hammer bocks semiautomatics have similar tech like grip safeties. This isn't like the movies where someone drops a gun and everyone ducks.

Nice that you share your opinion.
I can't see any sense in it, I probably don't understand this kind of humor.
It's not humor, it's true. When I drive to a dangerous country in an unfamiliar environment that makes me feel threatened, like driving to Mexico, I keep a potential self defense weapon (hammer) under my car seat.

I was answering your question, also seemingly humor to me, suggesting we give free guns to all visitors.

I have a lock box in my closet. If an intruder were to invade my house, I would have to rely on my natural "guns" to detain them while my wife got the store-bought one.

I have thought about having it close to my bedside while I slept for quick access, but with two young children in the house who have a knack for getting into things they shouldn't, I don't dare...
Yep it's all a matter of common sense.
I'm lucky right now I'm in a stage of life with no children in the house, the youngest is college aged and frankly, if he gets his hands on the gun I trust him even more than I do myself.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom